Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

R&B Thread Genre • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Chaplain Tappman, Mar 7, 2016.

1. cherrywaves Apr 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 12, 2016)
    cherrywaves

Trusted

Not sure how much help I can be BUT if you use Pandora, the Sade station is essential: lots of Maxwell, Erykah Badu, D'Angelo, Ashanti, etc. You'll find good stuff.

Personal rec, if not mentioned, is The Foreign Exchange (Phonte from Little Brother's R&B project). Great stuff!

EDIT: whoops dunno how to embed YouTube vids

beachdude42 likes this.
  2. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Copy the video URL and then click on the embed video button. The site takes care of the actual embedding.

beachdude42 and cherrywaves like this.
  3. cherrywaves

Trusted

Thanks!

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Not gonna lie, that was a pretty sick video. Thanks for the rec @FrankOceansEleven!!

FrankOceansEleven likes this.
  5. beachdude

I'm about to post the revised playlist, I made it on Spotify, Apple Music, and YouTube since I'm publishing an article about it.

6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Listening to the Gallant album for the first time rn and its pretty damn good

7. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

She still uses a bit too much tuning for my ideal taste, but god damn is K. Michelle's More Issues Than Vogue fantastic. Such a big step up. She was a second/third-tier artist for me previously, but this puts her in the ballpark of Elle Varner and Jazmine Sullivan for me.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  8. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

k. michelle is so funny, her last album had a song called "drake would love me" lmao

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  9. "How it Was Supposed to Be" by Ryan Leslie
    "I Care For You" or "Climax" by Usher
    You could do almost anything by Jazmine Sullivan, but I'd rec "Bust Your Windows" "Dream Big" "Forever Don't Last" or (possibly my favorite) "Stanley"
    "Mad" by Ne-Yo
    "Likethesun" by musiqsoulchild
    "Help Somebody" by Maxwell
    "LFT" by Quadron

beachdude42 likes this.
  10. cshadows2887

Yeah she's a character. Have you listened to this one yet?

11. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

nah i honestly didnt know she had another coming out. i just put it in my apple music after i saw the p4k review the other day

12. cshadows2887

I feel like chances are pretty good you'll be a fan.

13. beachdude

14. Gwen

11:11 // Resident Queen Prestigious

Anyone else a fan of Kelela

Chaplain Tappman likes this.
  15. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

I thought cut 4 me was okay but hallucinogen was next level imo

16. Gwen

"Rewind" is everything I want

17. Gwen

It's been almost 4 years since we've gotten new music from Frank Ocean what the fuck

marceting and beachdude42 like this.
  18. beachdude

Yeah it's a bummer, I REALLY hope he comes back soon and comes back strong when he does. I really can't believe he's going to end up as one of those mysterious R&B artists who never releases consistent material after their initial breakthrough...

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  19. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

hopefully he comes back with something that holds up a bit better for me than channel orange. too messy in retrospect. not nearly the instant classic i thought it was upon release. id put on nostalgia any day over channel orange

20. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Channel Orange has definitely stood the test of time for me, without a doubt one of my favourite albums. Still listen to it regularly. When he releases a new album I'll be super excited

beachdude42 likes this.
  21. beachdude

Yeah, I'm very excited for where he goes next. Nothing he's done thus far has even remotely disappointed me.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  22. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

23. beachdude

Randomly decided to finally give Aaliyah's albums full listens... really digging Age Ain't Nothing But a Number, very '90s and definitely has some of R. Kelly's distinct sound. Most of what I know from her is from that album, and I've heard it gets substantially better from there, so I'm stoked.

24. cshadows2887

Her s/t is one of the defining R&B albums of that decade, imo.

beachdude42 likes this.
  25. Michael

Regular Bitch

Finally listened to the KING album and I love it.