Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

R&B Thread Genre • Page 31

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Chaplain Tappman, Mar 7, 2016.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some weird rnb. People with experimental beats or strange strong structures. Go!

2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

In your mind does that that include artists like Frank Ocean?

Maybe check out what some call "Alternative R&B" acts like Abra, FKA Twigs, Corbin and THEY. I'm not exactly sure that is what you are looking for though.

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Yes, that is a wide net to cover. List some of your fav artists and we can probably get some good recs out of that

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  4. The Lucky Moose Dec 17, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 17, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

There is a lot of "unconventional" R&B right now, some of it (e.g. Frank Ocean) gaining a lot more attention than conventional R&B, which I believe might be partly caused by the fact that more and more people with (indie) rock backgrounds are writing about Hip Hop and R&B and the parallel relative decline of dedicated Hip Hop and R&B media (excluding radio), compared to say the 90s and even the 00s.

5. The Lucky Moose

I'm listening to the Lloyd album because I hadn't gotten to it when it came out and it's really good. It for sure is top 10 material.

6. PauLo

43% Burnt

Love Frank. I guess I was thinking of stuff similar to say Littlebabyangel haha. The more experimental/electronic sounding stuff. I'm ridiculously picky when it comes to RnB, so it's hard to say what I really like. Thats probably less than useful.

7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Never heard of Littlebabyangel until now, but checked out some stuff and feel like you'd definitely be into the new How to Dress Well record. Maybe check out the artists FAVELA and Rhye as well. I don't really tap into the more-dissonant stranger side of R&B as much, though there are a lot of traditional R&B artists I love who experiment within the genre. Some favorites would be Erykah Badu, D'Angelo, and JMSN... maybe throw Blood Orange on that list as well.

edit:

if you like Frank, check the two Choker records. You may also be into the artist, dijon.

beachdude and The Lucky Moose like this.
  8. PauLo

43% Burnt

Nice, I definitely will. Love D'Angelo and Badu. For some reason, i've never been able to get into Blood Orange. I need to sit down with his stuff and give him a proper listen.

OotyPa likes this.
  9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Also was thinking about it and I guess I'd consider the Tirzah album from this year to be experimental r&b. That one's endlessly replayable.

beachdude likes this.
  10. PauLo

43% Burnt

Yeah, recently checked that out and dug it a lot.

11. The Lucky Moose

You probably know this but D’Angelo and Badu are what some would call “Neo-Soul” and that’s definitely a still thrivining subgenre that you can easily explore more by googling lists etc.

JMSN is a good one, yeah.

12. PauLo

43% Burnt

You have no idea how insulted I am right now haha

13. The Lucky Moose

Hence the you probably know this lmao I can never assume on here. I more wasn’t sure you knew it was still alive.

PauLo likes this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

If you don’t mind foreign languages I can recommend this year’s Lary album (German) and this year’s Rosalia album (Spanish), both of which mix R&B with other, strong influences.

OotyPa likes this.
  15. PauLo

43% Burnt

It's all good man, i'm just messing!

16. The Lucky Moose

Have you heard the Teyana Taylor album? I feel like most Neo-Soul fans would love that.

Also with regards to Rock influences, I can highly recommend Cody Chesnutt - The Headphone Masterpiece. It’s brilliant.

@PauLo

PauLo likes this.
  17. The Lucky Moose

You could also go through these and avoid the ones you know you probably wouldn’t like. It’s a pretty broad, good overview of international R&B-ish music in 2018. Maybe add the 2018 releases by Marsha Ambrosious, Amerie and Mahalia to the list.

@PauLo

PauLo likes this.
  18. Have you heard of B. Lewis? He helped write and produce most of Bad Rabbits' non scrapped (lol :'( ) albums. His solo work is mostly instrumental, but it's like the perfect mix of R&B and weird electronic stuff.

B. Lewis

PauLo likes this.
  19. PauLo

43% Burnt

Cheers for all the recs, guys. Much appreciated!

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  20. Dan Wasson

Thanks! will try there

21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

New Elijah Blake album and The Dream TRIPLE fucking album. I will most definitely not get to the whole thing today but might check the first part.

beachdude likes this.
  22. The Lucky Moose

beachdude likes this.
  23. The Lucky Moose

JoJo Remakes First Two Albums

Uh, holy shit. That first JoJo album was really good, looking forward to listening to this. Out now by the way.

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Dope

25. The Lucky Moose