Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

R&B Thread Genre • Page 26

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Chaplain Tappman, Mar 7, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Btw, been obsessed with this EP. It sounds exactly like Frank Ocean which is why I'm digging it so much

2. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

i mean that song is all kinds of magical

OotyPa likes this.
  3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Sooooooooooo is the rest of the Doja Cat album as good as Go To Town???

4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Yes!!

5. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Fancy is awesome

6. irthesteve

ok but wait a sec here.... what is going on with Moo??!?!?!?!

7. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Doja Cat album didn't hold up for me. It has like 4 good songs, everything else is forgettable

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  8. The Lucky Moose

Kind of agree but there’s a lot of potential there

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  9. The Lucky Moose Aug 22, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 22, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

Since we’re all celebrating J. Lo, “Hold You Down” with Fat Joe is one of her best and most underrated songs, don’t @ me

“Straight from the hood, you’ve always been there for me” :heart:

OotyPa likes this.
  10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Been on a Erykah Badu kick today

11. irthesteve

12. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I thought the Ty Dolla $ign/Jeremih project was out today? Apparently not.

OotyPa likes this.
  13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

They barely promoted that thing other than The Light and I feel like it could do huge numbers. Kind of annoying.

14. cherrywaves

Trusted

It’s been mildly cool out so naturally I’ve been listening to a ton of Foreign Exchange

If anyone (looking at you @The Lucky Moose) has good recommendations for stuff like them or KING I’d love to hear them. Jazzy R&B with almost an electronic/house bend

15. The Lucky Moose Aug 24, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 24, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

I might be drifting too far off into neo-soul right now given your last criterion but here’s something that popped into my head:

This Miles Bobby album is a very hidden gem

This is a little more electronic but stil warm:

If you don’t mind foreign languages you can check this out:

Das Neue Schwarz

16. cherrywaves

Trusted

Thank you, truly. I will dig in this weekend

17. The Lucky Moose

18. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

They just dropped this

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. R&B has become one of my favorite genres lately. Been listening to a lot of Toni Braxton, Mary J. Blige, Ashanti, and other 90's/early 00's queens, and there's always so many more artists to discover even right now. Bless this thread.

Thanks for the recs for JGrrey, Lary, Aaron Taylor and MihTy as well.

The Lucky Moose and Nate_Johnson like this.
  20. The Lucky Moose Aug 27, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 27, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

One of my favorite albums of that type and time of R&B, an album that has sadly been burried by history

P.S. You’re welcome for those recommendations. That Lary album is probably my favorite album of the year so far. If you can deal with German (or better yet understand it), it’s a very rewarding listen.

21. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Does anyone else enjoy the new Always Never album? I am getting some The Weeknd vibes from it.

22. I'm looking forward to hear this one and Lary's album! I didn't know Tatyana had done some music, I guess it was an one time and done thing. As for Lary, I'm lucky to live just next to Germany so I might understand some of her lyrics. I'm not familiar with the R&B artists that come from that country (yet), but I know there's a strong hardcore/punk/metal scene over there. Unfortunately, most of the popular stuff that gets put on german radios seems to be overly masculine hip-hop and dated EDM/tropical pop these last few years. I'll look into German R&B more closely!

23. The Lucky Moose

Tatyana’s album and the singles did pretty well at the time, just not well enough for a lot of people to remember. She actually still sporadically releases music independently, she released an EP in 2014 for example. She’s a very good singer, but her newer music doesn’t rival that debut album.

There isn’t a lot of German R&B. I think the amount of good German R&B albums can be counted on two hands. Lary’s albums, especially the new one, and Joy Denalane’s albums are a notable exceptions. More and more solid German R&B has been happening recently though. German hip hop on the other hand is huge, and there’s a lot of good stuff (including Curse’s “Die Farbe Von Wasse”, one of my favorite albums of the year), but you’re right in observing that currently a lot of the most mainstream German rap is basically hyper “masculine” nonsense for teenagers.

24. Had a good R&Beekend seeing THEY., Daniel Caesar, SZA and Yuna at a festival

25. Yuna is underrated. I wonder if she has a new album coming out soon, it has been a while since the last one.