Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Quincy Jones Talks With Vulture

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Quincy Jones sat down to talk with David Marchese at Vulture, and it’s … interesting:

That they were the worst musicians in the world. They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul was the worst bass player I ever heard. And Ringo? Don’t even talk about it. I remember once we were in the studio with George Martin, and Ringo had taken three hours for a four-bar thing he was trying to fix on a song. He couldn’t get it. We said, “Mate, why don’t you get some lager and lime, some shepherd’s pie, and take an hour-and-a-half and relax a little bit.” So he did, and we called Ronnie Verrell, a jazz drummer. Ronnie came in for 15 minutes and tore it up. Ringo comes back and says, “George, can you play it back for me one more time?” So George did, and Ringo says, “That didn’t sound so bad.” And I said, “Yeah, motherfucker because it ain’t you.” Great guy, though.

And:

Musical principles exist, man. Musicians today can’t go all the way with the music because they haven’t done their homework with the left brain. Music is emotion and science. You don’t have to practice emotion because that comes naturally. Technique is different. If you can’t get your finger between three and four and seven and eight on a piano, you can’t play. You can only get so far without technique. People limit themselves musically, man. Do these musicians know tango? Macumba? Yoruba music? Samba? Bossa nova? Salsa? Cha-cha?

2. Analog Drummer Feb 7, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 7, 2018)
    Analog Drummer

Regular

Hahahah Quincy you savage! :scream::crylaugh:

David Parke and Davjs like this.
  3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Musical principles exist, man. Musicians today can’t go all the way with the music because they haven’t done their homework with the left brain. Music is emotion and science. You don’t have to practice emotion because that comes naturally. Technique is different. If you can’t get your finger between three and four and seven and eight on a piano, you can’t play. You can only get so far without technique. People limit themselves musically, man. Do these musicians know tango? Macumba? Yoruba music? Samba? Bossa nova? Salsa? Cha-cha?

PREACH, QUINCY.

4. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I absolutely loved this.

"People limit themselves musically, man. Do these musicians know tango? Macumba? Yoruba music? Samba? Bossa nova? Salsa? Cha-cha?"

Just about any form of Latin music is some of the hardest shit in the world to play on any instrument. The grooves implemented, and more importantly the feel, will throw you off balance in a way that no other form of music does. That's why it kills me when so much of modern music is about going the easy route. We're capable of discovering so much more.

5. Spenny

Regular

Super interesting read. He went all in with the honesty, huh?

6. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

"Is there innovation happening in modern pop music? Hell no. It’s just loops, beats, rhymes and hooks. What is there for me to learn from that? There ain’t no fucking songs. The song is the power; the singer is the messenger. The greatest singer in the world cannot save a bad song. I learned that 50 years ago, and it’s the single greatest lesson I ever learned as a producer. If you don’t have a great song, it doesn’t matter what else you put around it."

I need that Citizen Kane gif.

7. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

That's a fun interview.

Be a Pisces. Jam.

8. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Quincy Jones doesn't give a fuuuuuuuuuck hahaha great read

Analog Drummer likes this.
  9. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

on one hand, quincy jones' interview in GQ was gross. but the other hand, i love drama

10. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

"Rock ain’t nothing but a white version of rhythm and blues, motherfucker"

I'M GONNA TATTOO THIS ON MY FACE

11. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Mars Volta know what Quincy is saying :). As far as the beatles comment, paul was a damn good bassist.

RobJGolde and carlosonthedrums like this.
  12. RobJGolde

Yeah, I wasn't really following that bit about Paul. If you go back and listen to the isolated bassline for "Something", it's an objectively great bassline. Sure, it's not James Jamerson but it's creative, fun and does a good job of moving the melody along.

13. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Maybe because he uses a pick lol? I play bass and am a purest in i refuse to use a pick, even for metal (cliff burton :heart:). Maybe because he plays it more like a guitar than a typical bass? Idk, but paul has some real intricate riffs that alternate and aren't repetitive AND he sings while playing them!

Davjs and carlosonthedrums like this.
  14. RobJGolde

Not to change the subject but if he were still alive, I'd love to see a metal bass duel between Cliff Burton and Steve Harris.

Davjs and chewbacca110 like this.
  15. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Yeah that would be dooooope. Two best metal bands of all time have 2 of the best bassists of all time, coincidence??? I think Cliff would win but both were SUPER innovative in their own ways. Cliff would shred like a mother fucker and use distortion and Steve did a lot with galloping and using 3 or more fingers in cool patterns (im really not taking the time i should to explain myself but those r a few distinctions that come to mind). You take those guys, throw in a little acid and crack and you get Les Claypool.

Davjs likes this.
  16. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

This interview was fucking amazing, and (most of) the GQ one too in as far as the level of truly insane stories he has. Guy has lived like, 10 lives in one - a true legend of music.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  17. RobJGolde

Didn’t Les Claypool audition for Metallica after Cliff died? The idea of Les as their bassist is oddly fascinating to me

Analog Drummer and chewbacca110 like this.