Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Quick Thoughts on Apple’s Announcements

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Yesterday Apple unveiled a new Apple News+ service, a game service called Apple Arcade, a new credit card, and some information about their upcoming video service.

My first thoughts are that the News+ service looks really good, but it’s not something I’d want my publication to be a part of because our entire model is based on direct subscription from readers. The game service looks interesting, but without knowing the price it’s hard to really judge it. I find the credit card industry gross. If Apple was going to jump into this market I wish they would have disrupted it. It’s my view that extremely high interest rates on credit cards should be illegal. The video service looks like it’ll have multiple shows I’ll like, but that’s all a wait and see until it’s actually available.

2. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Curious Jason, I know you're a big fan of their products and services, but what're your broader thoughts on the direction Apple is taking with yesterday's announcement? I think a lot of people (rightly or wrongly) went into it expecting a focus on new (tv and movie) content, and instead it really doubled-down on growing their ecosystems to incorporate more industries (payment, television, gaming). Obviously they have historically demonstrated an adept touch at creating slick and user-friendly technology environments, but I'm wondering how you feel they're reading the market, if they're playing to their strengths, and what your very early expectations are on consumer response?

I'll admit my very early thoughts are influenced/biased by yesterday's episode of The Watch.

3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Agree 100% with you on them disrupting the credit industry.

4. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

One of my initial thoughts on the credit card was that it looks super neat.

Then I realized they FINALLY succeeded in finding a product that alienated their user base due to economic status.