Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Queens of the Stone Age Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bd007h, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Four songs through Era Vulgaris and I'm starting to think I'm really fucking into this band. Damn.

bd007h and PandaBear! like this.
  2. yassssss go off @Cody I'm reacting to this like some people are reacting to Barry's speech

iCarly Rae Jepsen and airik625 like this.
  3. Cody

I just love the fuzzy guitar, vocal work and the real fast pace of this record. It never lets up, or at least hasn't yet.

4. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Even as a big QOTSA fan, it took me a while to get into Era Vulgaris. I love it front to back now, but I definitely didn't "get it" for a long time.

5. Cody

Another thing I really appreciate is the ability of the drummer to not steal focus from the guitarist. It's clear that they're a very guitar-centric band. The drumwork on these records are the definition of 'beauty in the simplicity.' Has Grohl all over it (I know he drums on a handful of these tunes).

6. Cody Jul 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2016)
    Cody

I've heard a lot of really chaotic, unhinged guitar work on this record, and "3's & 7's" is the beautiful apex of that motif. Talk about a fucking riff, and I'm always a sucker for a song sounding like it's in odd time but isn't.

EDIT: The last minute of "Suture Up Your Future" is, from what I've heard so far, the best passage they've written. Holy hell

inwaves likes this.
  7. Cody

Get on board, everyone, I'm just spamming the fuck out of this thread tonight.

Final thoughts on Era Vulgaris: Loved it. A hell of a lot. Drastically different from ...Like Clockwork, which I loved for the most part. This record was a lot more raucous and bombastic with a bit snottier vocals, all things I liked, but I did notice a pretty glaring lack of dynamics in this record (the quieter beginning of the closer made me realize just how little we'd gotten of 'soft' before that moment), with the last three songs being the ones I would declare the most 'out there.' But anything I felt could've been done better doesn't really matter too much, because this album gets a fuck ton right. Really unrelenting guitar work, face-slapping riffs from the first second to the closing one, so much fun to listen to. Again, great drums, a lot of Grohl/Steve Jordan-inspired 'making the most of a little bit' grooves and fills. And the streak of impressively tough vocal lines continues here.

Grabbing some food, then moving on to Lullabies to Paralyze.

airik625 and inwaves like this.
  8. Cody Jul 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2016)
    Cody

"Tangled Up In Plaid," track four off Lullabies, is the first one to really pull me in off this record. The first couple tracks felt like simpler, less-polished versions of Era tracks. But I'm digging this current track, it has a lot of theatrics and dynamics, especially in the drumwork. Not to mention that ripping fucking solo. God, this band has so many awesome closing guitar solos, I feel like I don't hear those from many other groups.

EDIT: Lullabies is easily my least favorite of the three I've heard so far. Some very solid material in the back half with those longer tracks when they start letting things breathe a bit more, and "Plaid" was a front-end highlight, but overall, this just plays to me as a less-formed version of what they succeeded at on Era. I might be a bit partial to having less effects on the vocals and more on the guitars, which Lullabies has pretty much swapped.

inwaves likes this.
  9. Cody

"Broken Box" is a great little track, too, I must admit. Very timeless sound to it, like it's QOTSA's take on a CCR song or something. The handclaps, it's super hooky, idk, maybe i'm crazy

inwaves likes this.
  10. Horrorca

Trusted

Tangled Up in Plaid is huge

bd007h and Cody like this.
  11. Horrorca

Trusted

and (unpopular opinion) Lullabies is their best

Cameron and Cody like this.
  12. Cody

I see why you encouraged Songs for the Deaf first. This is easily their most 'likable' album. Talents are well on display, drums especially are on point (thanks, Dave), but a lot of this record screams 'if people know an album of ours, it's this one,' if that makes any sense. I also don't mean that as a slight ,haha.

13. Cody

Like, come on, the intro to 'Song for the Dead,' just all of that track really, is so fucking classic, haha.

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  14. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

agreed. especially if you count the bonus tracks from the vinyl edition.

15. Cody

Well, alright, just finished Songs for the Deaf. Another boss album from these guys, easily their most anthemic and straightforward, but pound for pound, likely the best collection of melodies/hooks/riffs that I've heard in their catalog yet. Really not much else to say about it that hasn't been said over the years, but now makes sense to me a little bit more since I've finally heard the record. Total classic.

Alright, going to bed. Took down four of the six records in a night, pretty proud of myself. Will maybe get around to Rated R and the self-titled sometime soon just to say i did it. Fun spamming y'all, bye now

inwaves and airik625 like this.
  16. Cody

Final ranking (so far):
    Era Vulgaris > Songs for the Deaf >> Like Clockwork >> Lullabies To Paralyze

airik625 likes this.
  17. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Hahaha, loving these posts @Cody !!!
    IMHO there has not been a better rock act than these guys in the 2000's. They are an absolute behemoth of a band, and, while there are plenty bands more popular, there are none that are better!

airik625 likes this.
  18. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed reading your real-time reactions @Cody. Songs for the Deaf completely changed my outlook on rock music when I was a kid.

19. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Lullabies or Rated R are probably my favs.

20. inwaves

Dave's drumming on Song for the Dead, especially the end, is stunning.

21. inwaves

Rated R is so good. Especially "In the Fade." Also, once you're done with the QOTSA discography, be sure to listen to Them Crooked Vultures. Some of Homme's best work, imo.

bd007h likes this.
  22. Horrorca

Trusted

I'll say Spoon

23. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I agree with this. It's close though.

24. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

For me it's probably

1. Songs for the Deaf
    2. ... Like Clockwork
    3. Lullabies To Paralyze
    4. Rated R
    5. Queens of the Stone Age
    6. Era Vulgaris

inwaves likes this.
  25. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I think Era Vulgaris may actually be my favourite - if you don't consider the 2 weak bonus tracks and just take 'the album' as being songs 1-11, there is nothing I would change about it at all. Into The Hollow the weakest track IMO and thats still great, Misfit Love one of their best songs ever, and that slide part in Turning on the Screw is a highlight of their whole discography!!! :crylaugh:

JRGComedy likes this.