Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Queen Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Jun 13, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

2. cshadows2887

Queen:
    A band that is both massively adored and still somehow enigmatic, Queen were one of the most innovative rock bands of the '70s. They covered a myriad of sounds and styles, still managing to score a consistent string of hits that remain in heavy rotation today. Freddie Mercury gets all the press, and certainly deserves it as one of rock's most magnetic and flamboyant frontmen. But the detailed layers of guitars with impeccable tone from Brian May, the high harmonies of Roger Taylor and the low-key funkiness of John Deacon were just as essential a part of their greatness.

Recommended Listen:
    A Night at the Opera

Crash Course:
    1. A Night at the Opera
    2. Sheer Heart Attack
    3. Jazz

Compilation Replacement:
    Greatest Hits (1981)

Signature Songs:
    1. "Bohemian Rhapsody"
    2. "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions"
    3. "Another One Bites the Dust"
    4. "Fat Bottomed Girls"
    5. "Somebody to Love"

Personal Note:
    While I know quite a lot of their songs, the three in the crash course are the only proper albums I've heard, so there's a chance I might be missing one of their best.

3. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

This is one of those bands that has influenced me way more than I even realize just because they are who my influences look up to. Brian May has done more for my playing than I'll probably ever give him credit for.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  4. George

Trusted Prestigious

Cool - I know most of their big singles, but have never listened to a full record. A lot of their stuff, as good as it is, has been super overplayed for me, so I'm interested in hearing what deep cuts they might have. I won't be able to listen until later in the week though, got a busy few days.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  5. George

Trusted Prestigious

One thing I noted, just taking a quick scan through their Wiki page, is how many of their albums had a massive, ubiquitous hit. With a lot of artists, they seem to have a couple of albums that contain their most well-known material, then anything outside of that is deep cuts with tracks that casual fans probably won't know.

However, with Queen, I've just taken a quick run through the singles on each album, and I've heard at least one song on every album from Queen II in 1974, up until Innuendo in 1991, which is a run of 12 albums that I know songs from. And considering I've never actually heard any of their albums, that's pretty impressive.

ChiliTacos and cshadows2887 like this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Freddie Mercury is arguably the best front man of all time

killer Queen and Bicycle Race are also great songs

7. cshadows2887

The latter being one of the silliest songs I can think of to be a major hit by a band who didn't trade exclusively in silliness

Robk and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  8. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

IM HERE FOR THIS

cshadows2887 likes this.
  9. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

First time I've heard all these records before one of your threads bless up. Still going to re listen though.

Robk and cshadows2887 like this.
  10. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Love Queen. It was my dad's favorite band and therefore all I really listened to up until like middle school.

11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I've made it through their first 10 albums, slowly over the last 2-3 years, and they are honestly all pretty awesome.

12. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Anyone that says Bohemian Rhapsody is over played of "ruined" by popular culture such as Wayne's World is a fuckin liar and a traitor on American soil imo jus had to get that out

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

they probably think they can stone me and spit in my eye, think they can love me and leave me to die

TheWater(s) and cshadows2887 like this.
  14. cshadows2887

I always feel that way. Until I'm alone and that song comes on from the beginning and I'm swept away.

That said, "Fat Bottomed Girls" is their best song.

15. cshadows2887

First spin with A Day at the Races. Obviously this is trying to pick up where A Night at the Opera left off, and the continued Marx Brothers reference is appreciated.

-I've always loved the shit out of "Tie Your Mother Down", one of the best rockers anyone cut in that era. I love when they show this side, like they're saying "Yeah we can rock your face off. Done. What's next?"
    - "You Take My Breath Away" is ambitious and epic, with its darker tones, and I honestly am not sure I've heard a Queen song in this vein.

- "Long Away" is a fantastic discovery for me: an album track that's one of my favorite things I've heard from them. Who knew they could nail a Byrds-y sound? The harmonies are a highlight too.

- "The Millionaire Waltz" starts off with the kind of pomp and theatricality you expect from their rep, but then it slides into some truly gorgeous moments. Their sophistication as songwriters made huge leaps here.

- "You and I" is another expertly assembled rocker. Nothing overtly different about it, but killer nonetheless.

- "Somebody to Love" is somehow only more perfect in context. After the ambition of the prior songs, the simplicity of the piano and the uplift of the wall of vocals flies even higher. Is this Mercury's best vocal ever? Quite possibly.

- "White Man" is maybe the first unexceptional track. It rocks hard, but not much more.

- "Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy" is pretty basic Queen for a bit, but then has some complex and melodic touches/segues, too.

- Last two songs are sturdy, with the closer in particular feeling exceptionally well-placed.

16. irthesteve

Somebody To Love, epitome of his vocal stylings

cshadows2887 likes this.
  17. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Listening to Night At The Opera this morning. I don't know why I haven't before

cshadows2887 likes this.
  18. cshadows2887

What'd you think?

19. cshadows2887

First time with The Game and damn, what an album. I honestly was expecting their catalog to be a lot of hits-and-filler-type stuff, but I'm dumb. "Play the Game", "Need Your Loving Tonight" and "Sail Away Sweet Sister" are all just as good as the hits and actually make the hits better in context

ChaseTx likes this.
  20. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Loved it, especially the oddball songs like "Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon", "Seaside Rendezvous", and "'39".

I also listened to Sheer Heart Attack but someone in the backseat was talking non-stop, haha

21. cshadows2887

Yeah weirdly he oddball tracks on that album are the best part! Haha

ChaseTx likes this.
  22. irthesteve

Listening to The Works for the first time right now, and of course it too is fantastic. I had no idea Freddie was working on, and released, a solo album during this time. That's now next up in my list.

"It's A Hard Life" is like a sequel to "Play The Game," "Man on the Prowl" is another Elvis-y throwback, and "Radio Gaga" and "I Want To Break Free" are obviously killer

ChaseTx and cshadows2887 like this.
  23. George

Trusted Prestigious

Listened to A Night at the Opera this afternoon. It's pretty awesome! Just "epic" and huge in every single measure, with the opening track with its soaring backing vocals and guitar solo letting you know what you're in for. As mentioned above, they do get a bit odd and weird, which I enjoy. It reminds me of "Octopus' Garden" or "Yellow Submarine", or those kind of corny, silly but pretty endearing Beatles songs.

Freddie Mercury is a hugely charismatic vocalist and showman. Hardly breaking news, that, but hearing him sing for forty minutes straight is a fantastic experience. You can just feel the power. The band are obviously tight and really talented, Brian May shining in particular. They're able to do these massive rock songs, with Bohemian Rhapsody being the best example, and then can do these little, contained pop songs like "You're My Best Friend". Shows off their versatility well.

This was a really enjoyable experience, and it was a pretty perfect first Queen album to listen to.

ChaseTx, cshadows2887 and SpyKi like this.
  24. JM95

Trusted

Roger Taylor is a fucking fantastic singer. Always underappreciated.

25. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

ew noooooo.