Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

QOTD: What are some ideas for QOTD topics?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Henry, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

So I love the idea of posing a question of the day. As the site grows, it gives us a good opportunity for people to contribute. What are some ideas you have going forward?

Also, maybe we could bring back the polls I used to do? It'd be fun to have fresh feelings on albums you may have already given feedback on via AP.

Thoughts?

Garrett L. and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  2. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

1.) Best places to go on vacation
    2.) Song/Bands/Whatever that got you interested in music

3. Some ideas for future:
    • Favorite album for (holiday, theme, time of the year)?
    • Favorite song used in a movie?
    • Favorite soundtrack?
    • Favorite album you love that may surprise someone?
    • Favorite album by a band you don't like much of their catalog?
    • Favorite debut/final album by a band?
    • Favorite artwork?
    • Favorite song on an album you otherwise don't really like.
    • Best band you've heard this month?
    • Favorite way / ritual to listen to music?

4. US Camera

A Humble Snail Prestigious

I worry if there's a question literally every day general would get cluttered. Does that make sense?

Some possible ideas tho:

What are your favorite Jimmy Eat World records? (Rank them)

What's an artist you like in a genre you don't?

Best band reunions?

5. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Yeah I agree it would get cluttered. I love this idea, but even though it's "Question of the Day" maybe "Question of the Week" or something is better. Or it could just have it's own forum so we don't clutter up General once a week/whenever one of these are posted.

6. US Camera

A Humble Snail Prestigious

Having a QOTD (and maybe polls) forum was what I was going to suggest too

lightning13 likes this.
  7. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

i like that! the second one - could / tv show be added? i can think of stuff from like, the flash, supergirl, breaking bad, etc that i could easily answer xD

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

yes! QOTD/Polls would be really fun.

US Camera likes this.
  9. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

a question of the week seems a better idea to me, maybe a poll and have access to that poll where there's a lot of traffic? I would say front page but I'm not sure how the front page will lend itself to that when it goes live.

but then what happens after 3-4 days when the thread is dead.

10. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I thought about a weekly or daily feature, in which members talk about a song they love, how it made them feel and the sort of mental connections we forge between a given song and the concepts, identities, beliefs, etc., that give context to our lives. Avclub does something like this, but more focused on the music. What I find interesting in how seemingly disparate things relate and enforce one another. I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough or if this is a good idea. But, it is just something that occurred to me.

Garrett L. and Nick like this.
  11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I was thinking QOTW did seem a lot more practical once we get the ball rolling. Mostly just trying to keep the momentum going before the grand opening. I like the ideas so far.

12. Garrett Mar 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 14, 2016)
    Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Are we wanting to keep them music related?

If you could go back in time to tell yourself to listen to a band despite people around you not liking them, who would it be?

If that makes any sense.

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

i don't think they have to be. They are getting posted in the gen forum. We could always do one for each forum, each day of the week. It'll give everyone something to look forward to each day without crowding one place.

14. Garrett

Like Monday-Gen, Tuesday-Music, Wed-Sports, Thurs-Enter, Fri-Politics, etc? Could be something that sub-forum mod could organize easily enough, I guess.

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Exactly what I'm thinking. We could have a lot of fun with it.

16. Garrett

Absolutely. And hopefully get people into forums they don't typically go into. I know in my time at AP, I slowly moved between forums and the transition always involved a time of "testing the waters" because of the cliques in each section (fully admit at times I was part of them). This could potentially help eliminate that.

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

So we have six forums that could maintain some discussion right now. I think the ones you initially mentioned are good to get started with. Maybe leave off tech for the time being, since it isn't as frequented. If anyone has ideas, we can post them in this format:

Gen: Question?
    Music: Question?
    etc.

we can finalize questions either on Sunday or the day before they go up. If individual moderators want to handle the post, that works or I can just do it for now. I know I have a lot of ideas for the entertainment forum.

Garrett L. likes this.
  18. phaynes1

Regular

Seem these have died down a bit. Hope they pick back up.

dharkins likes this.