Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

QOTD: Best 3 Song Stretches • Page 3

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Timmiluvs, Mar 10, 2016.

1. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

would also nominate

cotton -> against pollution -> pigs that ran straightaway into the water, triumph of
    the mess inside -> jeff davis county blues -> distant stations

TheVandyMan likes this.
  2. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

The Mess Inside makes a strong case for being my favorite/most heartbreaking Mountain Goats song, but I'm not sure I could ever just pick one.

And now I'm going to spend my whole workday listening to the Mountain Goats. Not a bad thing.

nothingsforeverdude likes this.
  3. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

it's my second fav album ever (favorite on a good day) but i sometimes get a little bit annoyed that hast thou considered the tetrapod is followed by magpie. like the album reaches this climax of intense and unbridled vulnerability but instead of resolving it by retreating/withdrawing (song for dennis brown) it lingers a bit too long imo. magpie doesn't serve much of a purpose within the context of the story and hast thou into song for the dennis brown would make the album a perfect 10 for me

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. Another one I love:

"Reinventing Axl Rose," "Baby, I'm An Anarchist," "Walking Is Still Honest."

Jason Tate, phillyfradet and jordalsh like this.
  5. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

I totally agree, Magpie is a fine little song in its own right, but doesn't add anything where it is in the track listing, especially after what a raw and emotionally vulnerable gut punch Tetrapod is. It's like on Tallahassee when Oceanographer's Choice goes into Alpha Rat's Nest, and it gives listeners a chance to breathe and internalize what they just heard, and Magpie doesn't really give you the chance to do that. Tetrapod into Dennis Brown would be unreal, and would work damn well sans Magpie.

6. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Degausser --> Limo --> You Wont Know (The Devil & God Are Raging Inside Me - Brand New)

If I Believe You --> Please Be Naked --> Lostmyhead (I like it When You Sleep... - The 1975)

Fake Empire --> Mistaken For Strangers --> Brainy (Boxer - The National)

Aint It Fun --> Part II --> Last Hope (Paramore - Paramore)

Dream House --> Irresistible --> Sunbather (Sunbather - Deafheaven)

Garrett L. likes this.
  7. Kennedy

oops forgot one of the best ones:

Bruised --> Im Ready --> La La Lie (Everything in Transit - Jacks Mannequin)

Jason Tate, Garrett L. and Meerkat like this.
  8. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

^^^ Good fucking call

KennedyBN likes this.
  9. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Say You Will - Welcome to Heartbreak - Heartless off 808s

Three Evils - The Crowing - Blood Red Summer - off In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth : 3

Holy Wars... The Punishment Due - Hangar 18 - Take No Prisoners - off Rust in Peace

How Much a Dollar Cost - Complexion - The Blacker The Berry - off To Pimp a Butterfly

Jason Tate, phillyfradet and Nick like this.
  10. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

I'd probly take the last three songs on Everything In Transit, but it's hard to be wrong with that record.

felipecardel likes this.
  11. Kennedy

An Introduction To The Album --> The Scope Of All Of This Rebuilding --> In Framing

Honestly, my favorite 3 song stretch on Home if i had to pick. This is another really hard one because track after track is perfect.

12. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

All My Best Friends Are Metalheads > Five State Drive > Nervous In The Alley from Hello Rockview by Less Than Jake
    Re-Do > Tears Over Beers > The Weekend from Sports by Modern Baseball
    Attractive Today > Everything Is Alright > When You're Around from Commit This To Memory by Motion City Soundtrack
    American Hearts > Long Nights > Fear And Loathing On Cape Cod from We are the only friends that we have by Piebald

felipecardel and phillyfradet like this.
  13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Man, Millstone through You Won't Know would be such an incredible run if I liked Limousine more.

14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd say In Framing -> Your Deep Rest -> Among the Wildflowers.

felipecardel and KennedyBN like this.
  15. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

From Everything in Transit, it'd probably be The Mixed Tape -> Bruised -> I'm Ready.

KennedyBN likes this.
  16. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

A few more

Clean Sheets Aren't Just for Keepers -> Surely Not? Afraid So -> I Can Hear Your Lungs Rattling (Modern Art & Politics - Arrows)
    The Future Is Cancelled Pt. 1 -> Montreal -> More Tequila, Less Joe (The Future is Cancelled - Captain, We're Sinking)
    The Blacker the Berry -> You Ain't Gotta Lie (Momma Said) -> i (To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar)
    A Live Nativity Scene -> Built to Last -> Say Matte (Breakthroughs in Modern Art - Six Gallery
    Rage Against the Dying Light-> Ra Patera Dance -> Mental Health (Harmlessness - The World Is...)

felipecardel and phillyfradet like this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Rays on Pinion > The Birthing > Isak (Baroness- The Red Album)

That's the only one that immediately popped in my head.

18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Tiny Little Boy / When'd You Find Me / Turnpike

Out of Step / Falling Asleep / Em

New Nathan Detroits / Killing a Camera / Never Will Come for Us

Ignorant Piece of Shit / Piano Song / They'll Only Miss You If You Leave

M / I'll Take You Everywhere / Tuesday

Old Jaw / Repine / Late Lives

The Background / Motorcycle Drive By / God of Wine

19. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

The latter two are my least favorite gj songs, but they transition sooo smoothly.

20. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I need a best 5 song stretch so I can rave about the first five songs on SYG's Mutiny!

21. From Major/Minor:

"Treading Paper" -> "Blur" -> "Words in the Water"

22. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Cooking Up Something Good - Dreamin' - Freaking Out the Neighborhood
    (Mac Demarco - 2)

Anytime - Lay Low - Knot Comes Loose
    (My Morning Jacket - Z)

Just One Thing - Steam Engine - One in the Same
    (My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves)

I Still Remember - Sunday - SRXT
    (Bloc Party - A Weekend in the City)

10 Mile Stereo - Real Love - Take Care
    (Beach House - Teen Dream)

Easy - Green Aisles - It's Real
    (Real Estate - Days)

In the Garage - Holiday - Only in Dreams
    (Weezer - Blue Album)

23. jean-luc davis

Shut the FFFFFFRESHFISH UP

"King Park" -> "Edward Benz, 27 Times" -> "I See Everything"
    -La Dispute, "Wildlife"

"Lover I Don't Have to Love" -> "Bowl of Oranges" -> "Don't Know When But a Day is Gonna Come"
    -Bright Eyes, "LIFTED"

"Skeleton" -> "Swear to God the Devil Made Me Do It" -> "Twin Size Mattress"
    -The Front Bottoms, "Talon of the Hawk"

"The Word Lisa" -> "Rage Against the Dying of the Light" -> "Ra Pareta Dance"
    -The World Is A Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid to Die, "Harmlessness"

This differs from what others have been saying but:
    "Jesus" -> "Degausser" -> "Limousine"
    -Brand New, "The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me"

felipecardel and Garrett L. like this.
  24. jean-luc davis

Shut the FFFFFFRESHFISH UP

I almost put this, because this is a strong combination, but I personally have to put "Mental Health" with the two tracks that follow. Plus I feel like "The Word Lisa" is a good sort of intro to the spectacle of "Rage Against" and "Ra Pareta". But this is definitely a good stretch by itself.