Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

QOTD: Best 3 Song Stretches • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Timmiluvs, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

I haven't listened to it in a bit, but seeing the streak of TGA songs listed above got me thinking about it again. I'll have to revisit it and see which 3 are the absolute best.

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Blank Space, Style, Out of the Woods

3. Timmiluvs

Oohh good one. That's easily the best set of songs on that album (although I do love the whole album a lot)

4. Threads

Regular Prestigious

I can think of quite a few of these. Here's the first ones that came to mind though.

What Sarah Said -> Brothers On a Hotel Bed -> Stable Song (Death Cab For Cutie - Plans)
    Hounds -> Coriscana -> Putting the Dog to Sleep (The Antlers - Burst Apart)
    Thread -> Wolf -> School Friends (Now, Now - Threads)
    On Directing -> Red Belt -> The Cure (Tegan and Sara - Sainthood)
    Zero -> Heads Will Roll -> Soft Shock (Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!)

cshadows2887 likes this.
  5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Great thread. A couple off the top of my head, just scrolling through iTunes:

Missing You -> Cinderblock Garden -> Tidal Waves
    Cecilia and the Satellite -> High Dive -> All Our Lives
    Millstone -> Jesus -> Degausser
    Disjointed -> I Can Make You Feel Young Again -> Erase
    Where I Want to Be -> Settle Down -> Weathered
    Handwritten -> Here Comes My Man -> Mulholland Drive
    Kill -> The World You Love -> Pain (there could probably be several on this record, actually)
    Dime Store Cowgirl -> Late to the Party -> Pageant Material
    almost any stretch on Pale Horses
    My Name Is Trouble -> Why Am I Always Right? -> I Want to Be Buried In Your Backyard
    State of Grace -> Red -> Treacherous
    Cutting My Fingers Off -> New Scream -> Humming
    Settle Down -> Robbers -> Girls
    Please Be Naked -> Lostmyhead -> The Ballad of Me and My Brain / title track -> The Sound -> This Must Be My Dream

Ended up being a lot more than I expected, wow. I'm sure I missed plenty too.

Jason Tate and Garrett L. like this.
  6. Sophos

Regular

paris - nana - she lays down from the 1975 - i like it when you sleep

archangel - near dark - ghost hardware from burial - untrue

the lovesong writer - into the blinding light - autumn leaves revisited from thursday - a city by the light divided

the moment - yes im changing - eventually from tame impala - currents

fourth of july - the only thing - carrie and lowell from sufjan stevens - carrie and lowell

24 hours - i blame myself - nobody asked me (if i was ok) from sky ferreira - night time, my time

tread lightly - the motherload - high road from mastodon - once more round the sun

morningstar - shock me - try to disappear from baroness - purple

i found a whistle - siberian breaks - brian eno from mgmt - congratulations

cautioners - the authority song - my sundown from jimmy eat world - bleed american

bitch dont kill my vibe - backseat freestyle - the art of peer pressure from kendrick lamar - good kid, maad city

marshall mathers - idgaf - hero from kevin gates - the luca brasi story

fml - real friends - wolves from kanye west - the life of pablo

born to die - off to the races - blue jeans from lana del rey - born to die

unluck - the wilhelm scream - i never learnt to share from james blake - james blake

wow thats a long list, just a bunch of randoms scrolling up and down my library. i could do this all night.

KBradley and Nick like this.
  7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Burn After Writing -> The Obituaries -> Gates slipped my mind too, though I've seen a few others post that one. Amazing run.

8. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End

9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

It's Not a Fasion Statement, Cemetery Drive, I Never Told You What I Do for a Living - from MCR's Three Cheers includes my two favourite songs ever. easy choice.

Inevitable, Dismantle. Repair., *Fin - from Anberlin's Cities

Meet You There, Why?, Loner in Love - from Busted's A Present for Everyone

I Need a Friend Tonight, Suburbs, Sundown - from Charlie Simpson's Young Pilgrim

Delicate, Volcano, The Blower's Daughter - from Damien Rice's O

Tiny Vessels, Transatlanticism, Passenger Seat - from Death Cab's Transatlanticism

What Sarah Said, Brothers on a Hotel Bed, Stable Song - from Death Cab's Plans

Tannhauser Gate, Our Last Common Ancestor, Unfamiliar Ceilings - from One Day Son by Fightstar

Dog Problems, Oceans, Dead End - from Dog Problems by The Format

To Take You Home, The Queen is Dead, A Love Worth Keeping - from Love, Ire & Song by Frank Turner

The Modern Leper, I Feel Better, Good Arms vs Bad Arms - from The Midnight Organ Fight by Frightened Rabbit

Let Go, Breathe In, It's Good to Be in Love - from Details by Frou Frou

Be Calm, Benson Hedges, All the Pretty Girls - from Aim & Ignite by fun.

Your Deep Rest, Among the Wildflowers, Life in Drag - from Home by The Hotelier

Daylight Robbery, The Walk, Just for Now - from Speak for Yourself by Imogen Heap

Slow Dancing in a Burning Room, Bold as Love, Dreaming With a Broken Heart - from Continuum by John Mayer

Sundrenched World, Star Mile, Everything'll Be Alright - from We Were Here by Joshua Radin

A Feast for the Vain, On the Coldest Winter Night, Lost & Damned - from Epica by Kamelot

For Real, In a Radio Song, Black - from Black Sheep Boy by Okkervil River

Idioteque, Morning Bell, Motion Picture Soundtrack - from Kid A by Radiohead

Reel Around the Fountain, You've Got Everything Now, Miserable Lie - from The Smiths by The Smiths

I Know It's Over, Never Had No One Ever, Cemetery Gates - from The Queen is Dead by The Smiths

Noise and Kisses, On My Own, Pieces Mended - from The Used by The Used

Lostmyhead, The Ballad of Me and My Brain, Somebody Else - from I Like it When You Sleep by The 1975

Didn't mean to have so many, just ran through my iTunes picking out wherever I could find three fantastic songs in a row.

Garrett L. and jordalsh like this.
  10. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Fleetwood Mac Rumours: "Go Your Own Way" -> "Songbird" -> "The Chain"
    Tegan & Sara The Con: "Like O, Like H" -> "Dark Come Soon" -> "Call It Off"
    Andrew McMahon In The Wilderness Andrew McMahon In The Wilderness: "Halls" -> "Rainy Girl" -> "Maps For The Getaway"
    The Civil Wars The Civil Wars: "I Had Me A Girl" -> "Same Old Same Old" -> "Dust To Dust"

11. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

FML - Real Friends - Wolves, which I realized today might be the most cohesive run of all time (read as: I think this is my favorite run of all time)

Another thing I think about often (though obviously not for this thread) is what four song run would be the perfect 3 song run with one track removed. I always think about it while listening to In Colour bc Loud Places - Good Times - Girl would probably be my actual favorite ever. Thankfully The Rest is Noise exists so I don't pass out from excitement every time I get to the end stretch of that album.

schlotty likes this.
  12. George

Trusted Prestigious

The Ocean --> Sentimental Tune --> Someday from Sainthood by Tegan and Sara

eepots, Meerkat and Threads like this.
  13. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

The first three tracks from The Joshua Tree is probably my favorite three-song stretch, but there are so many good ones.

Nick likes this.
  14. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Trying to think of some that weren't said yet

You Are Invited -> Gyroscope -> The City on Emergency and I

yeah there we go

troyplaysbass likes this.
  15. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

Throwing out an alternative to the Plans sequence that's been posted by saying Marching Bands of Manhattan > Soul Meets Body > Summer Skin.

Also, the first three songs on Sunbather are up there as far as newer records go.

16. Craig Manning

First three songs on Recovering the Satellites are ridiculously great. Never been my favorite Counting Crows record, but it sure gets started in an impressive fashion.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  17. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

First three songs on August and Everything After are pretty incredible too. Counting Crows are real good at tracks 1-3

18. Timmiluvs

"Roman Holiday" -> "Ghost" -> "Colors" on Halsey's Badlands is fantastic.

19. Son of Sam-->Somebody That I Used To Know-->Junk Bond Trader from Figure 8

cshadows2887 likes this.
  20. Craig Manning

August is the better record, but my favorite tracks are more evenly distributed throughout that record.

21. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

future - 56 nights: march madness -> trap *****s -> 56 nights
    jon hopkins - immunity: breathe this air -> collider -> abandon window

22. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

American Beauty: Box of Rain -> Friend of the Devil -> Sugar Magnolia
    Dick's Picks 4: Dark Star -> That's it for the Other One -> Turn on your Lovelight
    The 3 movements of the last song on Black Saint and the Sinner Lady: "Stop! Look! And Sing Songs of Revolutions!" -> "Saint and Sinner Join in Merriment on Battle Front" -> "Of Love, Pain, and Passioned Revolt, then Farewell, My Beloved, 'til It's Freedom Day"
    Kind of Blue: So What -> Freddie Freeloader -> Blue In Green

Any 3 song stretch from Bitches Brew

This isn't 3 song stretch but it is my favorite stretch of songs in history, from 11/14/73, all jammed into one another:

Truckin->The Other One->Big River->Other One->Eyes of the World->Other One->Wharf rat

23. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

Old College Try, Oceanographer's Choice, Alpha Rat's Nest (The Mountain Goats, Tallahassee)
    Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes, You Can Call Me Al, Under African Skies (Paul Simon, Graceland)
    Erica Western Teleport, Sig Alert, Canada Day (Emperor X, Western Teleport)
    Younger Us, The House That Heaven Built, Continuous Thunder (Japandroids, Celebration Rock)
    Song For Dennis Brown, Love Love Love, Pale Green Things (The Mountain Goats, The Sunset Tree)
    The Sun, Plane vs. Tank vs. Submarine, I Saw Water (Tigers Jaw, Tigers Jaw)

nothingsforeverdude likes this.
  24. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

yeah second the end of sunset tree, also you or your memory -> broom people -> this year

25. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

That was my second pick for the album, haha. But it's also very nearly a perfect album, so almost any three-song stretch works.

nothingsforeverdude likes this.