Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

PWR BTTM Response to Allegations

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 11, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. aniafc

Trusted

Interesting statement. People are mentioning that this was brought to their attention months ago and did nothing with it, so I don't know how this would be a "surprise"

3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

bad bad response
    read the comments, important stuff there
    this band does not deserve to continue and that's incredibly heartbreaking on so many different levels

4. This hurts so much worse because of how many marginalized people took solace in their music.

5. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

oh go the fuck home idiot

ryan.conde, h8bit, Contender and 4 others like this.
  6. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

How could you think this was a good thing to post?

7. Yeah, we're not gonna do this.

Anyone else considering dragging identity/misgendering in this thread can forget about it right now

8. AshlandATeam

Trusted

That Facebook thread is disheartening as fuck. I hate to lump people into categories, but many of those reactions sound like they're from scene bros defending their favorite pop-punk predators. I sorta expected a different response than that from this fan base.

Hero worship is a real thing, and it's greater than our basic, common decency towards our fellow human.

Maybe that's unfair of me to say. I don't know. But honest to God, we have so, SO far to go as a society on these things. About the only thing I know for sure is that I completely understand why victims don't want the hassle that comes along with trying to speak out - I wouldn't want to if i were in their shoes. And that's a horrific thought.

FTank likes this.
  9. This fucking sucks

somethingliketj and AshlandATeam like this.
  10. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Ban that "tastetherainbow" person please.

Also this is one of many disappointing things about this. It gives horrifically transphobic, queerphobic and homophobe people a scapegoat to say, "THESE people are perverts" or call out their name as a "warning sign" or whatever, when people of every gender, sexual orientation, race, group, whatever are sexual abusers and it has nothing to do with their identification or group alignment.

11. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Yikes.

12. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

This one stings so much more than so many others we've seen. I'm heartbroken for the people who this band's existence gave them hope and comfort and belief in something bigger than themselves. I'm sorry that our idols keep on disappointing us. I have no more words to say.

13. Kill your idols

coleslawed likes this.
  14. cwhit

this is the second time that a lot of people have had to deal with this in like two years too. the dakota outing was such a huge one too for a lot of people

15. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

16. TDenverFan

Regular

I'm not really a fan of that statement. I feel like what they're doing is mostly just an empty gesture on their part, making it seem like they're there for everyone as activists, when in reality it seems they've been aware of this for months. I was not always a fan of their music, but I liked their message. Disappointing

17. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Forgive my ignorance, but what was the Dakota outing?

18. cwhit

dakota was a trans singersongwriter that went under the name of unraveler, and they were an immensely important figure for a lot of queer/trans people in DIY. they were outed as being an abuser as well. that was a really rough day for the community, and this is even on a much bigger scale

19. bennjeff

Regular

Weird that these types of abuses seem to have happened or have been brought to attention recently in bands that are supposed to be progressive and all for safe spaces. Weren't there accusation about Eskimeaux awhile back about something similar? Sad that this stuff keeps happening since a band like pwr bttm means so much to people from what I've gathered online

20. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Oh that's really upsetting. I'm not sure who that is, but thanks for explaining - sad nonetheless.

21. cwhit

the eskimeaux stuff is of complicated interest to me. i've spoken to gabby and heard her story and it all makes sense based on the posts the victim made and the timelines in that post, and from what i heard i'm okay supporting her still. everyone can make their own decision but especially because of some of the sensitive matters in all of this this won't be said publicly.

though if i found out that she said was a lie i will make sure that every single fan she has hears that she's a horrible horrible person. but for now, yeah. i'm hoping that her story (which all added up to me) is real.

22. bennjeff

Regular

Yeah I never got the entire story about Gabby, I think you had the original post that I read about it and it was a recent example I could think of. I wasn't sure about that one and have still listened to her music and all the bands of epoch. It was more pointing out how sad it is that this sort of stuff is happening or allegedly happening with bands that are supposed to be about safe spaces and taking care of everyone. At 29 I'm older than most of their target audience I'm sure but it's good to see young kids have people be concerned about them and help them feel better through their music. Really sucks that pwr bttm seems to be a big let down especially since I've enjoyed their records but not sure I can continue to listen.

23. devenstonow

Noobie

So, it takes a personal apology to you to make something okay? Isn't that a bit of a flawed logic?

Like, I don't remember all the details about the Jank situation (nor do I remember what your final opinion on it was tbh so let's just use it as a loose example of a situation like this) but the level of proof is fairly similar, no? I'm all for respecting people's opinions on where to draw the "separate art from artist" line, but I guess I don't understand the mindset of being quick to support a victim's account, but then be so quick to turn it around based on the account of someone who, is theoretically (at least in the eskimeaux case) considered the abuser.

24. cwhit

not a personal apology. her account of the incidents and why there was no public statement about them.

i went in fully aiming to not believe what she said but everything she said truly added up in my head on all accounts.

it's a very weird situation and i almost feel weird sort of being almost included within that realm of people who have heard that, so i encourage people to make their own decisions in whether to support or not. i can only say that based on what i heard and adding things up, i believe it.

and as i said, if i ever find out one bit she lied about one thing involving that, i will personally make sure her career is destroyed forever.

25. devenstonow

Noobie

Fair points; I wasn't necessarily trying to directly talk about Eskimeaux specifically, just using her as an example because IIRC the (publicized, at least) accusations were fairly similar in these cases. I guess I just don't understand the justifications behind (and I'm not speaking about this directly to you/as an attack on you) being so instant and so quick to go on the offensive, while at the same time being so against any statement where the alleged abuser does anything trying to defend themselves.

molassescookies likes this.