Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

PVRIS - All We Know of Heaven, All We Need of Hell (August 25th 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by redwing91007, May 1, 2017.

1. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

And likewise I can't really understand what the people who are loving it are hearing, haha. Interesting that this one is so polarizing

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  2. I was so pumped for white noise after st patrick, but the album really fell flat for me I probably only listened twice if that.
    I almost wasn't going to listen to this album but I'm glad I did because I'm absolutely loving it.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  3. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

white noise bleeds together way more than this

4. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

This is the first I'm listening to from them, but I enjoyed it

5. jorbjorb

7 rings

Have had this thing on repeat. Really catchy.

6. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

I'm pretty surprised to see how divided the thread is on this record, I expected overwhelming positive reviews.

JamesMichael likes this.
  7. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Same! I think it's better than WH.

redwing91007 likes this.
  8. jakeryandesigns

The trend I'm seeing is that if you loved White Noise, you're not as into this, but if you weren't totally in love with WH, you like this.

It's grown on me in the last few days, but I still feel like they abandoned what made them stand out with this record, which is a big bummer for me. It's all over the place, and doesn't come anywhere close to the power that White Noise had, or how solid it was.

ale5875 likes this.
  9. redwing91007

Interesting take. I really liked WN but thought they were able to refine their sound on this one.

Side note, this is one of the best album discussion threads we have had in a while. Just a lot of really well thought out varying opinions, it's refreshing.

10. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I think this album is significantly less all over the place than WN.

11. atlas

Trusted

I think this album doesn't have melodies and choruses as good as WN but there's definitely more to unpack musically so it evens out really

my only complaint is the melody at 1:14 of Nola 1 is almost *exactly* the same as the chorus of What's Wrong

12. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I feel like the melodies here are more subversive and subtle. They aren't necessarily as immediate as the ones on a lot of WN, but they are just catchy and have just as much if not more depth.

What's Wrong is also the best hook they have.

JamesMichael and redwing91007 like this.
  13. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I like both albums a lot

JamesMichael and ImAMetaphor like this.
  14. thisisnotbrianm

Regular

Really enjoyed this album, but wasn't anything groundbreaking for me. A few notes:

-My biggest issue is the mix / master, specifically of Lynn's vocals. I don't like the effects done to her voice in the choruses of Walk Alone and No Mercy. I get what they were trying to do, but it just was not executed well and the fact that her voice is drowned out really knocks my enjoyment of the songs.
    - No Mercy is a banger but bothers me that it has a very similar structure and sound to Fire from WN.
    - I hoped this album would be in a lower register because Lynn really does struggle with a lot of songs in a live setting, and was surprised to hear some songs (that I bet would be played live) in a much higher register. I love PVRIS but they have gotten worse and worse live as time has gone on, and with live videos surfacing of them doing these new songs, it's apparent. I feel bad saying that, but it's very, very obvious.
    - This album is WAY more cohesive imo than White Noise
    - I like how they pushed the dark pop sound while still keeping the rock background. They could easily have decided to go to one side or the other, but kept a solid mix while still maintaining elements of both.
    - Favorite songs: No Mercy, Walk Alone, Winter. Don't really have a song that I would consider to be "bad" which is positive.

Really excited to see them in the fall and see how some of these songs translate live.

redwing91007 and ChaseTx like this.
  15. Finally got around to listening to this, and it rips. Maybe not as poppy or catchy as White Noise, but their sound feels more mature and polished to me. This is pretty much the evolution I was expecting after "You and I" and "Empty" dropped. Can't wait to dig into this album more.

16. austingordon

your local curmudgeon

About 2 listens through this record, and so far I'm feeling like it's solid. The melodies are definitely more creative, and it's structurally a little more interesting, I do miss the "heaviness" a bit though (ie: "Fire", "My House"). Only song I don't really like is Walk Alone. Half is a banger, as is What's Wrong. I also really dig Same Soul, No Mercy, and Heaven. The closing track definitely was a letdown, to me, too.

ChaseTx likes this.
  17. heymattrick

Sending my love

So after several listens, I do dig the album quite a bit. Not as solid as White Noise, but some individual tracks here I like better than ones on WN. What's Wrong, Half, and Winter are my highlights.

I hate to be negative though, but I was just watching this performance of PVRIS from a festival a few days ago. Honestly, it's one of the worst things I've ever seen. It's just a really poor performance, and something I've come to expect from PVRIS and Lynn especially. It's not just like she had a "bad day", I feel this is how she always sounds live. Their songs lose all of their power and emotion when performed live. Does anyone else notice this or feel this way? I just have not been able to find a single performance of PVRIS that sounds really good. I've seen them live twice in person too.

18. redwing91007

19. heymattrick

Sending my love

If you happen to find any articles or related, please share I would love to read. It's something I've noticed (and I guess actually been concerned about) for quite some time. You always want bands you like to be great live, and PVRIS is just a band that I struggle with in that regard.

20. redwing91007

21. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I take it back. I like a ton of this. Some weird production choices but I enjoy it for sure. Winter, No Mercy, Same Soul, Nola all great.

ImAMetaphor likes this.
  22. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

23. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

didn't board the WH hype train but this is pretty cool on first listen. must be tough to replicate live though

24. jakeryandesigns

Okay, this are on me A LOT. Really all I've been listening to for the past week.

Still doesn't touch how great White Noise was, but it's a good record for sure.

25. ale5875

Regular

I waited one month to see how I would "digest" the whole record with time, but I have to say that I'm really let down, which sucks because I loved Heaven and was really anticipating it. The only other track I like is No Mercy, and probably What's Wrong too. The rest all sound the same to me and have nothing memorable about them, at least from what I can make of the record. I feel they kind of sacrificed the catchiness and energy WN had in order to make an artsy record. Apparently this proved positive for lots of listeners though.

What I can say on the bright side is that I caught their set at Reading festival and I thought they sounded pretty good, even Lynn's voice. She kind of struggled the first couple songs, but then she recovered and did good. Excited to see them again in November. Hopefully they'll play No Mercy; seems like a fan-favorite off the new record.