Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pusha T – DAYTONA

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 30, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

With three albums in his discography, Pusha T isn’t a consistent artist, but when he releases an album, it feels like a ceremony. He always makes an impact with each project. His last album was in 2015, since then, fans have been anticipating, hoping, and dreaming of the day Push will drop a project. That was before Kanye brought the G.O.O.D. news to the world. In a series of tweets, he announced upcoming releases from Pusha T, Teyana Taylor, Nas, Kid Cudi and himself. Although initially titled King Pusha, Pusha T had to change the title because he felt “it didn’t represent the overall message” of the album. In another tweet, he said, “DAYTONA represents the fact that “I have the luxury of time. That luxury only comes when u have a skill set that you’re confident in.” As for what’s to be expected on DAYTONA, Push said the album was created especially for his “family, high taste level, luxury, and drug raps fans.”

“If You Know You Know,” begins with a strong rhyme scheme. This song will only be relatable for those “who know.” Kanye’s premium production is an exciting effect on this track. In a mature way, he differentiates between Rappers and Drug dealers. He says: “Bricklayers in ball shorts, coaching from the side of the ball courts.” Although he talks about rappers, this isn’t the kind of song 6ix9ine or Lil Xan can relate to.

Pusha T has a discography filled with lyrics about drugs. On “The Game We Play,” he gives a shoutout to the drug dealers—the people behind the scenes— and “the names they fade.” This song is for people like El Chapo. “This is the drug money your ex-***** claim he made” may have many girlfriends asking their man why he isn’t making drug money. With the message behind this song, he shows respect for drug dealers, and the profession (yes, the profession) of drug dealing.

The track “Hard Piano” is appropriately named. The piano riffs come in strong and heavy from the start while the incredible lyrics drive the track forward. “Exactly what the game’s been missing, this fire burns as hot as Hells Kitchen” is the perfect representation of his lyrics. I imagine him literally spitting fire in the booth as this track was recorded, or at least exhaling some smoke. The hook elevates the level of excellence on this track. And, for many reasons, Rick Ross is the perfect person to feature on this song. To keep it real, Rick Ross is another OG when it comes to drug dealing and carries himself like a respectable drug dealer—a boss. I wish more rap features could be like this. Both rappers deliver equally outstanding lyrics. Anyway, that’s what you get when the “old generation” of rappers come together on a track. The beat is fresh and complements the hook. The consistent piano chord is an undeniably attractive element on this tack. The role of the piano is like the role of the other players on the Cavaliers team. Though LeBron is the main attraction, like the hook, the subtle role of the other players contribute to their victory.

With “Come Back Baby,” he continues to glorify drug money as he raps: “Bought hoes Honda’s/ took care of children……built out buildings/rapped on classics.” “Santeria” is one song I judged too early. During the first part of the song, I thought I was hearing Push display his usual rhymes and similes. Although of top-notch quality, I wanted to hear something unique and fresh. Then on cue, the refrain comes up, and the song gets transformed. With the change in tempo, I felt like I was in a concert and lights just got turned off, meaning something exciting is about to happen. The drum roll gave me goosebumps and made me anxious. Finally, he broke out into his final verse and I imagined fireworks, theatrical fog and confetti, as Pusha burst out with his lines. “Santeria” present the most exciting moment on this album.

On “What Would Meek Do?” Kanye West and Pusha respond to the question “*****s talking shit, how do you respond?” Pusha T opens his verse by saying “I’m top 5.” Meanwhile, Kanye’s response to this question is “woo, skrt/whoop woopy whoop/“ — disappointing.

Dissing Drake on “Infrared,” he says: “It was written like Nas but it came from Quintinn” and “How could you ever right these wrongs when you don’t even write your songs?” In 2016, Drake used a few words on the Kanye West-assisted “Two Birds, One Stone” to call out someone (presumably King Push) who “made a couple chops” and now believes they’re Chapo. Pusha T uses this track as an opportunity to reply to him. He also talks about the state of industry: “The game’s fucked up” while citing great rappers like him—Kendrick, Cole, Ross, Hov, and Wayne.

Pusha T approaches this album like a rapper who knows his worth—like a king. With seven tracks he shows a prowess that is stronger than some albums that go fifteen tracks deep. When he’s rhyming, he’s doing it with skill. When he’s spitting, he’s doing it like a dragon. Whether he’s talking about drugs, money, or being a king in the rap game, his message is clear. He brings an interesting rhythm on every song. And, love him or not, Kanye West is a genius. His verse is not one of the best things on this album, but his production certainly is. After listening to “Santeria” and “Hard Piano,” I was forced to tweet “God Bless Kanye West”. DAYTONA is basically seven tracks of quality rap from King Push and seven tracks of top-notch production by master Ye. After listening to this album, I feel I should buy a yacht with the drug money I don’t have, dress like Diddy, select the finest tobacco, and cross my legs as I appreciate life. This album is on another level.

2. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Drake's comeback to "Infrared" and Pusha's comeback to that are just amazing

3. Ska Senanake

Trusted

At 21:08 I am not going to call this an album. Come on people it's an EP! But it is a fanfuckingtastic EP! Also, Pusha's Drake diss was unreal.

shawnhyphenray likes this.
  4. People still do the whole "this is an EP vs LP" thing? Why?

theasteriskera likes this.
  5. Hazelnutsack

Irregular

Here lies Drake in even worse shape than he was in degrassi

6. Ska Senanake

Trusted

It has 7 tracks and is barely over 20 minutes. Sorry does that offend you?

7. burnout2888

Regular Prestigious

Can I give some legitimately constructive feedback on this review or is that not cool to do here?

Bambros likes this.
  8. No, which is why I think freaking out over it is silly.

zmtr likes this.
  9. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Curious - does labeling an album an "EP" or "LP" impact the artist or label at all? Are they able to do different things with it based on the category it's in? I'm just wondering if that terminology is an us thing or a them thing.

10. RIAA/Grammys use specific definitions.

11. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I really enjoyed this album when I listened to it last week, & your review has me even more stoked to listen to it again today. This is really well written, thank you!

12. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

I find it very interesting how many people are congratulating Pusha's diss track on Drake and completely glossing over the fact that he makes fun of an individual for having a disease. Yeah that's an awesome track, good job Pusha-T. I have no respect for this individual.

13. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I believe it's also important for streaming services. If it was listed as an EP, it wouldn't be Pusha's top-surfacing release on Spotify, which prioritizes "Albums" over "Singles and EPs".

14. Hunter Norman

Regular

5 songs that make up 15 minutes constitutes an album for the Grammy's... .. And they are the only ones who should be concerned with the distinction I agree with Jason, it really confuses me when people freak out over this. Regardless, this is an amazing body of work

15. xenoabe

Regular

Everything is pretty much a "playlist" these days.

16. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I wouldn't call that freaking out... I do think an album should be at least 28 or 29 minutes long though. I understand from a marketing perspective why an artist would call a 21 minute project an album, I just hope it doesn't become a big trend because i personally enjoy longer bodies of work.

Hazelnutsack likes this.
  17. burnout2888

Regular Prestigious

Drake did the exact same thing when he made fun of Kid Cudi dealing with a mental disease while in a mental institution. Pusha had to put him in his place. Welcome to rap beefs.

Also, if this is your bar for rap respect, you should probably find a new genre, because very very very few people will clear this bar.

Hazelnutsack likes this.
  18. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

I was unaware of Drake doing a similar thing with Kid Cudi, that's awful as well. Both of them are wrong and Pusha didn't have to retaliate in the same manner. Making fun of someone because they have a disease just isn't necessary.

I listen to many genres including hip hop and both of these artists should be held to a higher standard so these types of crass comments aren't made moving forward. To say that I should move on from the genre in general is basically throwing in the towel and saying well that's how it is in hip hop but that doesn't make it ok.

19. Hazelnutsack

Irregular

Entertainment and fun are canceled guys pack it in, rap beefs has a good run while they lasted :(