Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains (July 12, 2019) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jdr2187, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

I feel like I developed (selfishly, unfairly) some PTSD around Scott Hutchison last year and a lot of those feelings are coming back up right now. I love the songs and poems he left behind.

Carrow likes this.
  2. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

This is fucking me up, had tickets to see him at the Lodge Room, couldn’t wait.

jdr2187 likes this.
  3. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

listening to Nights That Won’t Happen is so especially fucked now

jdr2187 and Importer/Exporter like this.
  4. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

this fucking sucks. god dammit

5. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

absolutely devastating news

6. zmtr

Trusted

Just came here to say that.. I nearly had to turn it off..

Such a bummer

7. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

man. RIP

8. fuck

yung_ting likes this.
  9. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

‘Saturday Night Inside Out’ on repeat tonight

‘I adored the way she modified my mornings
    When I'd wake up in the calm shoals of her bed
    Somersaults or smoke in a universe of sleep
    Before she slipped into her heritage and disappeared
    And she taught me to relight, relight and relight again’

have loved that track so so much since that album dropped

junkmanserenade likes this.
  10. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

:(

11. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Man I had this album lined up for a few weeks and never got around to it. Only knew a little of the Silver Jews but really enjoyed the songs I did. RIP

web250 likes this.
  14. jdr2187

jdr2187

15. Deeply deeply saddened by David's death. I listened to American Water for the first time in ages last weekend while driving across middle-of-nowhere Oklahoma and had been meaning to check this record out for awhile. Fuck depression, so incredibly sad

16. Rowan5215

finally listened to this and it's fantastic, I'll never be able to hear it objectively but it's a wonderful listen

17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

can't stop singing margaritas at the mall, he was so good at a simple sticky chorus

the phrase "the end of all wanting is all I've been wanting and that's just the way that I feel" also gets stuck in my head for days every time I hear it

Serenity Now, Rowan5215 and jdr2187 like this.
  18. yung_ting Sep 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 11, 2019)
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

this is what I posted on socials when I found out, that line contains multitudes

I was listening to this the other day and I haven’t quite found the balance of loving it because it’s incredible and feeling real sad every time I put it on but I imagine it’ll come soon

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

there are certain lines, like "the dead know what they're doing when they leave" that absolutely gut me in ways they didn't prior to his death. that was a vaguely comforting line the first time I heard it and I nearly cried when I heard it this morning. I feel you though for sure

zmtr and yung_ting like this.
  20. jdr2187

jdr2187

21. radiodead

Trusted

So this record has crept up on me in a big way. I really liked it on release. Now I’m obsessed.

Was driving me nuts what melody was lifted (purposely or accidentally on “All My Happiness is Gone”), but I finally figured it out. It’s Modern English “I Melt With You”. Which i think makes Bermans even more heartbreaking.

jdr2187 likes this.
  22. Rowan5215

if no-one's fond of fucking me, maybe no-one's fucking fond of me

23. Serenity Now Dec 28, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 28, 2019)
    Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

An older friend just gifted me this LP for the holidays out of the blue. He said it was a gamble since I only knew of the Silver Jew's by name and their role in indie-rock history. But based on everything else I listened to he thought I'd like it so he took a shot and boy am I grateful that he did. This record is phenomenal.

I'm only now just diving into DB's work, but what a wonderfully deep pool he made for us.

24. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Snow is Falling in Manhattan is my favorite song of 2019, and one of the most brilliant songs i've heard in awhile.

JM95 likes this.
  25. JM95

Trusted

It's my AOTY