Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Punk Rock Factory – Masters of the Uniwurst

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

There’s an 80’s (or 90’s) kid inside of all of us, and Punk Rock Factory recognizes this and takes it to heart on Masters of the Uniwurst, a punk rock compilation of sped-up TV theme songs from yesteryear. The compilation takes the soul of the beauty of the 80’s and 90’s themes and adds a delicious punk rock twist to the mix that ends up being a hell of a lot of fun to listen through. While some may say it’s simply the nostalgia that makes these songs endearing, I’d beg to differ and state that these “jingles” were in need of a need outlet to really appreciate them for what they are. Your summer soundtrack to your childhood has arrived.

Led by a brief intro called, “The Adventure Begins,” Punk Rock Factory (comprised of Peej on vocals and guitar, Benj on bass and backing vocals, Ryan on guitar and Kob on drums and backing vocals) launches into the track that aligns with some of the characters on the cover art, with “Thundercats.” The band, which formed in 2014, is incredibly tight, focused, and not to mention, hilariously on-point as they bring these themes to life. Other early standouts like “Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers” and “Goof Troop” are dripping with childhood nostalgia, as much as they sound re-energized through the lens of a punk rock song.

TV themes in general lend themselves best to this genre of music, since most of the songs clock in under the two-minute mark, which isn’t unheard of for punk rock, by any means. My personal favorites from the compilation were the takes on “Darkwing Duck,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” “Saved by the Bell,” and the rockin’ album closer of “He-Man” to tie the theme of Masters of the Uniwurst all together.

While this compilation may not get a ton of repeat spins from my record collection, it’s a fun little trip down memory lane to take that will surely put a smile on the face of even the biggest curmudgeon. The band has launched an online store for this compilation with purchase options of CD, cassette, and vinyl.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I was skeptical but this is amazing. Thanks for giving this some exposure!

paythetab likes this.
  3. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

theredline likes this.
  4. theredline

Trusted Supporter

paythetab likes this.
  5. MrSark

On doit jouer à domicile comme à la maison.

That is indeed a cool project. Loved the Gummi Bears and Darkwing Duck themes.

As a German though, the title makes me cringe. The constant jokes/puns made with the word Wurst based on the English-speaking world's inability of correctly pronouncing the German word is really grating.

6. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Yeah. That title kinda was a big part of my skepticism. Like, these songs are great. Why did they chose such a terrible title?!?!