Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Punk Goes Pop Again

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I've never heard of more than half of these bands.

Raku, Chuck!, Ryan Gardner and 7 others like this.
  3. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I really only want to hear the state champs song. The rest sounds like garbage.

4. devenstonow

Noobie

I only wanna hear the Dance Gavin Dance song.

I love pop music and am all about respecting it as an art, but jfc I have such a love-hate relationship with that Bruno Mars song. Just the fact alone that he uses the phrase "wake up with no jammies" alone ruins the song, but there are some small instrumental parts (there's a synth hit that I fucking love) and most of the background vocals that are just unbelievably clever.

5. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Bruno Mars' lyrics are offensive garbage. Music is cool, but the lyrics are terrible.

6. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I'll wait until Our Last Night covers these covers.

7. SetYourGoals Jun 1, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 1, 2017)
    SetYourGoals

Now That's What I Call Bands I've Mostly Never Heard Of Covering Songs I've Mostly Never Heard Of 7

Mr_Hox, Raku, Cheek and 15 others like this.
  8. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

9. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I want to hear Grayscale's cover of Love Yourself.

slickdtc likes this.
  10. jorbjorb

7 rings

this is unfortunate.

Raku and AgonizingFir like this.
  11. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

Not saying I was expecting anything great but geez, that tracklist is bad. Also, the DGD cover is on the page and I didn't find it that notable. With that said however, I haven't liked their stuff for awhile so that might just be me.

12. gbuffers

England.

Am I getting older or are the bands they use on these things getting worse and worse? No desire to hear any of it except for perhaps the Seaway song. They used to have big bands doing these and they were fun. I guess after the seventh instalment that's what happens (unless you are a giant franchise about cars starring The Rock).

13. The DGD song is on that page

14. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Interested in Boston Manor, Grayscale, and Seaway.

15. Loki

God of mischief

I am clearly getting old... bands I vaguely recognize (exceptions of course) covering songs I barely know...

Raku, ianzandi and truelovewaits like this.
  16. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Was going to quote him. Glad I read down the page before telling him for a second time haha

17. TDenverFan

Regular

Seaboiz cover is gonna be the song of the year

BigMouth likes this.
  18. btr

Trusted Supporter

Excited for State Champs/Seaway. Other than that, I'm good.

19. defmytones

Regular

Yeah no

Raku likes this.
  20. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

More like "Fearless Goes Scraping the Bottom of the Barrel in a Crass Attempt to Stay Relavent and Make Money"

21. goation

Regular

What are the best covers over the years of this? I live for the "In My Head" cover by Mayday Parade. Derek's voice worked really well for that song.

emeryk3 likes this.
  22. TDenverFan

Regular

Tonight Alive's Little Lion Man is great

23. latortuga Jun 1, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 1, 2017)
    latortuga

Regular

Supposedly there's a cover by Capsize and the Amity Affliction on this as well, not listed at the news item's link.

Odyssey | Marketing | Punk Goes Pop

Edit: I take it back, Capsize is listed but it's strangely formatted as the only list item offset to the right. The Amity Affliction isn't though...

24. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

no joke i really enjoyed the Starting Line's I'm Real back then. also Noise Ratchet's Crush. It's not on Pop Goes... but The Maine did a fun cover of I Wanna Love You

25. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Here's the DGD Bruno Mars cover - video is made up entirely of stock footage lmao

marceting and js977 like this.