Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Punchline Fund Their Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. JohnnyStacks

Regular

Excellent. $20,000 for something that might be on netflix?

3. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

They were barely at half 36 hours ago. I wonder if they self-funded the rest so they would get the pledges. (That's what I would do)

4. jorbjorb

7 rings

nice. i'll watch that

5. JohnnyStacks

Regular

If that's true, that's pretty shitty. Sucks that they don't allow you to see the amount people donated at a time. Would love to see $5000 just tacked on at the end from one single person

6. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Wow. They had like a third to go with a day left I thought? Seemed impossible

7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I think it makes sense. For one thing, it's basically just the Bystander effect. At first people think, why pledge my money when other people will do it, but then when it was the day of and they still hadn't gotten to the goal, I'm sure a lot more people decided they could help chip in. Plus, I know I personally increased my pledge amount the day of. And a lot of people probably kept meaning to but just didn't get around to it. Once the deadline hit, they decided to go for it. I wouldn't be surprised if they put in some of their own money, but I don't think it was a substantial amount (maybe $2,000?) Plus, let's be real, these guys can't exactly be rolling around in dough.

I was following it all day, and they were pretty steadily increasing throughout the day, so if they were putting a lot in, they made several several donations from different accounts (the # of backers increased by 50-100 the last day). I think they just have a good fan base who wants them to succeed. Remember when they released that EP and wanted to get it to #1 on iTunes? I think we were able to get it to like #2, which is still pretty crazy for a band their size.

Regardless, I'm excited for the end product. I wonder how long it'll be until this comes to fruition.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  8. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

As someone who loves the band, I was watching the kickstarter all day and it was growing by small incriments consistently every hour, 20 there, 50 there, 100 here, 250 there. It wasn't like 1 big spike.

bobsheiskawy likes this.
  9. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

reiterating that the amounts increased slowly over the course of the day, with the number of backers increasing steadily as well. the band was doing a lot of outreach and promotion the last few days, which i imagine helped a lot. i didn't necessarily think it was going to happen, but i'm delightfully pleased/thrilled/etc. it did.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Hahaha love that last sentence and I agree. I'm just really happy for them

11. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I'm friends with Steve (singer) on FB and noticed the last couple days he was really pushing it. Posting a lot and interacting with everyone. That most likely helped with the push as well.