Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Publication End Of The Year Lists 2018 • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by whitenblue88, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

I'd guess that Steven Hyden is doing a lot of the representation for Foxing and Wild Pink over at UPROXX. God, I love that guy. He reps stuff like Oso Oso and Foxing and then tweets over fall tour that Phish is the best live band in the world and writes prolifically and intelligently about classic rock. Super well-rounded and an all-around great writer.

radiodead, ECV, Craig Manning and 2 others like this.
  2. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

testing has gone under the radar due to some other releases during that time. it has grown A LOT on me the last few months.

my shades DIOR, my pants VELOUR

3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I need to revisit Testing too

4. chris

Trusted Supporter

CarpetElf likes this.
  5. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

6. mesi

Regular

I love the fact that there are a few Gia Margaret mentions.

Contender and CarpetElf like this.
  7. chris

Trusted Supporter

line of best fit list is the only one I've seen mention 6LACK's album, which I loved but didn't see much talk about

CarpetElf likes this.
  8. Maddy

Regular

Uproxx is the only list I have seen so far with Foxing....therefore it is the only list that matters to me

9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The Grouper album is very good. Everyone should check out the Gorilla vs. Bear list. A ton of stuff I didn't know existed

yung_ting and CarpetElf like this.
  10. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Gorilla vs. Bear is really good.

11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

The 50 Best Albums Of 2018

Snail Mail, Saba, serpentwithfeet, Brandi Carlile, Courtney Barnett, boygenius, Hop Along, Noname, and Lucy Dacus.

Good list. First one I've seen with Hop Along high up.

Mary V, Fronnyfron and whitenblue88 like this.
  12. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

christ. alright. let's do this quietus. let's see what fresh bullshit you've dug up from a tomb somewhere

14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Looking forward to looking through the NPR one. They usually have one of my favorite lists of the year.

cshadows2887, ECV and CarpetElf like this.
  15. username

hey you lil piss baby

I discovered so much on Th Quietus list last year, excited to dig through that

CarpetElf likes this.
  16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

NPR was a good mix. I'm heavily biased though because all of these other lists are sleeping on Hop Along.

17. Something interesting about a lot of these lists is that there seemingly isn't an obvious consensus. A lot of great music in a lot of different lanes came out this year.

CarpetElf likes this.
  18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I could listen to 1,000 albums that came out this year and still somehow The Quietus has 85 I've never heard of.

navidson, Fronnyfron and Swae Lee like this.
  19. username

hey you lil piss baby

Yeah, this was something I was thinking about before the lists were even coming out. The closest thing to consensus records we have this year are Mitski and Kacey Musgraves, but those are nowhere near the level of say a Kendrick or Beyoncé record.

CarpetElf and ECV like this.
  20. Yeah I was thinking earlier how DAMN was near the top of every list last year. Very few huge statement records like that (or at least resonant ones--feel like Kanye and the Carters kind of fumbled the ball) this year and a lot of good stuff in the indie scene make for interesting lists.

21. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Mitski, Kacey, Lucy, Janelle, and Cardi are what I'd guess to be the average top five.

Which, fuck yeah.

22. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

I didn’t realize it till that NPR list but it looks like Noname isn’t letting publications use her artwork, that’s pretty cool. Wasn’t she looking to change it on streaming?

ECV likes this.
  23. username

hey you lil piss baby

24. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

If it makes you feel any better, my album of the year hasn't been on any lists yet.

I tweeted about this last week in conjunction with all the praise The 1975 were getting, but yeah, this year didn't have that big "event" album. Most of the big "consensus" artists sat the year out, which I think is creating a much more interesting EOTY discussion. Still not as interesting or dynamic as it could be, but better than something like 2016 when every fucking list was Beyonce or Bowie.

Fuck yeah, Kacey at number 1.

ECV likes this.
  25. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I expect as much from you at this point.

Craig Manning likes this.