Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Publication End of the Decade Lists • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Flockaveli really came out this decade? Feels like a damn lifetime ago

2. everyone has to see the light eventually! still don't like Benji five years later

was pleasantly surprised to see the sturgill album there after going through the list up to that point (starting at #1) and seeing I think nothing country or country-adjacent besides Burn Your Fire and Golden Hour. also happy that the Miranda Lambert and Hurray for the Riff Raff records made it into the tail end of the list

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I still think the first two tracks on Benji are perfect, but have very little use for the rest of the record.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  4. still can't drive through ohio without hearing kozelek wailing "I'll return to ohio" in my head and for that I cannot forgive him lol

Carissa is a pretty decent song though

Craig Manning likes this.
  5. I laughed when i saw Random Access Memories because of all that twitter bullshit earlier this year. I still love that album

6. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Imagine putting Lil Peep in front of Titus Andronicus.

7. Craig Manning

I tried to listen to that record earlier this year when I was starting to narrow down my decade list. It was the first time in ages that I'd heard "Carissa" and I was like "Wait, is this record actually great?" It lost me around "Dogs." I really liked it back when it came out, though.

8. I also tried to go back to it sometime in the last year or so (prompted by the very good SKM cover on Phoebe Bridgers' record) and found it largely as unlistenable as ever

2014 was a weird time

9. username

hey you lil piss baby

Imagining it and it feels fucking fantastic

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The craziest thing is that We Found Love is not in the top 5 songs of the decade

tyramail and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  11. yea The Monitor is top-10 material for me but if you're gonna make a 200 albums list lil peep should be on it

DeathOrGlory likes this.
  12. Craig Manning

When I think back to 2014, for some reason the first half of that year, when I was listening to that record a lot, feels like five years longer ago than the second half of that year.

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I was angry at first that Divers wasn't anywhere on the list but holy shit, Have One On Me is so good. How did I not listen to this before!

yung_ting likes this.
  14. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

If yall havent heard Double Negative yet ya need to

Aregala likes this.
  15. DeathOrGlory Oct 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 8, 2019)
    DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

That Pitchfork list is a fascinating look into how their editorial and writing personnel has changed over the past decade.

Not a great list tbh. Fiona Apple at #5 was fantastic and surprising though. And "The Monitor" is better than that Lil Peep album for sure and I like Lil Peep.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  16. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

And all the albums that didn't even make their EoTY lists or got like 7.4s but are suddenly top of the decade (looking at you, Rihanna's 'Anti-' at 12)

17. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

it is almost like opinions on things change

18. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah if they didn’t change over time Muse’s 2nd Law would be near the top of my decade list lmao

JRGComedy likes this.
  19. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

I think it suffers from some recency bias

Leftandleaving and DeathOrGlory like this.
  20. Craig Manning

Pitchfork stands by surprisingly few of their album of the year winners.

2010: MBDTF was obviously number one; not outranked by any other 2010 albums

2011: Bon Iver, Bon Iver was number one; outranked here by Drake - Take Care, Destroyer - Keputt, Beyonce - 4

2012: Good Kid MAAD City was number one, outranked here by Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel, Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

2013: Modern Vampires was number one, outranked here by Beyonce's self-titled

2014: Run the Jewels 2 was number one, outranked here by (deep breath) D'Angelo - Black Messiah, Angel Oleson - Burn Your Fire..., FKA Twigs - LP1, Arca - self-titled, Grouper - Ruins, Perfume Genius - No Shape, Aphex Twin - Syro, Caribou - Our Love, Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again, The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream, Todd Terje - It's Album Time, annnnnnddddd The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

2015: To Pimp a Butterfly was number one, not outranked by any other 2015 albums

2016: Solange - A Seat at the Table was number one; outranked here by Frank Ocean - Blonde

2017: DAMN. was their number one; outranked here by Lorde - Melodrama, SZA - CTRL, Charli XCX - Pop 2, Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me, Jlin - Black Origami

2018: Mitski - Be the Cowboy was number one; outranked here by Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour, Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs, Rosalia - El Mal Querer, Tierra Whack - Whack World, DJ Koze - Knock Knock,

21. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

do you have any idea how utterly useless and banal this list would’ve been if they only went by original scores and aoty placings

ComedownMachine likes this.
  22. Craig Manning

I knew Black Messiah came out after their list dropped. Couldn't remember if they'd done their list by the time Beyonce dropped self-titled.

Two arguments for not posting AOTY lists in November y'all!

23. Craig Manning

I mean, obviously. I just thought it was interesting, especially 2014.

24. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

plus viewing an albums place among an entire decade of music as opposed to one year changes the context completely, it’s natural stuff is gonna be better or worse for you in that case

25. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

It's a list of music from an entire decade filtered through a 2019 cultural lense by so obviously. Doesn't mean I can't question where these changes come from or why middlingly praised albums are suddenly all decade picks.

Thanks for doing this! I find it fascinating.