Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Publication End of the Decade Lists • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I guess I need to go back to Blonde. I cooled on Channel Orange a lot throughout the decade and Blonde never clicked for me.

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

do they have some history against Isbell or something that i’m not recalling?

3. Craig Manning

They've never reviewed him super positively. Southeastern was high 7s I think. The Nashville Sound got a 6 or something. I don't get it.

4. username

hey you lil piss baby

Never Hungover Again at 90 is so fucking cool

Leftandleaving and ECV like this.
  5. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

this p4k list is really solid TBH

ECV and username like this.
  6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Good list

ECV and matthaber like this.
  7. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Shout out to ravdeath the best album of the decade

8. matthaber

they did high violet dirty with that placing but its cool i like the rest

9. seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

The 1975 on there twice. Also, cool to see The Hotelier. Sort of strange Benji didn't make the list, but I don't think P4K likes Kozelek very much.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  10. jdr2187 Oct 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 8, 2019)
    jdr2187

jdr2187

Pitchfork is weird. They gave that Sturgill album a 7.7 back in 2014 and it wasn’t even in their top 50 for that year, but here it is on their best of the decade list. Where as an album like Benji by Sun Kil Moon that came out the same year and they gave a 9.2 i didn’t seen on the list at all. (Unless I just missed it). Glad to see Sturgill get some love though.

11. username

hey you lil piss baby

That was their only album on there too, yeah? That's even more questionable imo.

matthaber likes this.
  12. username

hey you lil piss baby

I think it just shows the discrepancies between the editorial choices that happen with reviews and the (presumably) authentic process of calculating these lists. Also, surely the pool of contributors has changed in the time since those releases, which will definitely shift the consensus on an aggregate list like this.

13. Craig Manning

On an list that values pop so much, it's kind of wild to me that 21 and 1989, arguably the decade's two monocultural landmarks, are both absent. I'm less surprised after the lukewarm reassessment of 1989 from a few months back, though.

14. matthaber

Also i really think how an album has aged with time + stayed relevant is a HUGE factor.

15. Craig Manning

Yeah, they definitely sold their Sun Kil Moon stock.

jdr2187 likes this.
  16. matthaber

as far as im concerned Mark Kozelek sold his own stock

phaynes12 and yung_ting like this.
  17. Craig Manning

Mark Kozelek and Kanye kind of had similar blow-ups this decade, but one of them still got to be number two.

18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I could only scroll during my work meeting quickly on my phone so I probably missed some stuff but was garden of delete on there? I saw replica

19. username

hey you lil piss baby

Just did a quick ctrl + f and that's gonna be a nope.

20. username

hey you lil piss baby

How is DSU their pick for Alex G? Love that album and it's incredible to see it get recognized (because I feel like most came to him afterwards) but I never would have expected it above Rocket.

OhTheWater likes this.
  21. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Kanye’s post MBDTF are substantially better than kozeleks post benji albums tho

22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Oof

23. Craig Manning

True. MBDTF is also a lot better than Benji.

sophos34 likes this.
  24. zmtr

Trusted

List is much better than the songs list. Glad to see both BIBI and 22AM.

TWFM is an unexpected snub imo

25. jdr2187

jdr2187

I also found it odd that the Angel Olsen album they chose was Burn Your Fire. It’s my personal favorite of hers, but I def got the feeling that either the new one or My Woman would be considered her essential album.

DaydreamNation and ECV like this.