Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Publication End of the Decade Lists

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Craig Manning, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

here we go gif

3. Craig Manning

Is "Younger Us" the consensus best song from Celebration Rock"? I would have expected "The House That Heaven Built." I think "Younger Us" is like my fifth or sixth favorite song from that record.

SpyKi, DaydreamNation and phaynes12 like this.
  4. It’s definitely my favorite but I was also very surprised to see it on the list over “House” and “Continuous Thunder.”

Craig Manning likes this.
  5. phaynes12

also that songs list is awful lol

Jake W, Ken and Craig Manning like this.
  6. phaynes12

house, continuous thunder, and fire’s highway are all better haha

SVXDan83 and Craig Manning like this.
  7. Craig Manning

Yeah, I thought for sure it would be "House."

I like "Nights of Wine and Roses" more too. lol

phaynes12 and ChiliTacos like this.
  8. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Younger Us? Let's not overthink things here.

9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Hahaha I like the artists they represented, but they chose almost none of the songs from each artist that I would've picked

10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

an entire genre that they regularly cover (metal) is absent

DaydreamNation and phaynes12 like this.
  11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oh boy

12. Craig Manning

So what's their top album? Gotta be TPAB, right?

DaydreamNation and ECV like this.
  13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Wild that a Ye song didn’t crack the top 10

DaydreamNation and username like this.
  14. Thoughts of mine from my various group chats:
    - Despite having 4 Frank Ocean songs from 3 different projects, no “Self Control” or "White Ferarri" is crazy. I love all of the Frank songs they chose, but I don't think Blonde has enough weight here. I would rank that album very, very high on my own personal Albums of the Decade, and I wish it had more of a presence on this list. But that's just a me thing.
    - “Yonkers” is a bad song. It's a lowlight on Tyler’s worst album. Flower Boy has a case as the best album of the decade. I would have dropped "Boredom" or "Garden Shed" somewhere on this list and excised the shit out of "Yonkers."
    If we're going to include bad songs that had a big impact on culture, like "Yonkers," I can't think of a reason why "We Are Young" isn't here.
    - Run the Jewels 2 won Pitchfork's best album of 2014, and they reviewed it with a 9.0 BNM. Nothing from that album on a top 200 songs of the decade list is a bizarre choice.
    - I think there’s an argument to be made that “Monster” is a showcase of Nicki Minaj’s entire contribution to this decade, so putting “Come on a Cone” on here just seems like a bad idea or maybe even a joke
    - No “Codeine Crazy," I don't feel like I need to explain how weird that is
    - No “Control” by Big Sean ft. Kendrick and Jay Electronica, which is mentioned in a blurb but isn’t on the list itself
    - Taylor Swift’s “All Too Well” deserves its spot, but P4k ignored that album when it came out and didn’t review it until AUGUST OF THIS YEAR

Also, the lack of emo and metal is noticeable. All that said I'm happy about some unexpected picks that absolutely deserve their spots, like "Rolling In The Deep" and Shmurda, and I couldn't agree more about "Alright" at #1. I think this sums it up:
    "It’s not every day, or even every decade, that a song will become platinum certified, Grammy recognized, street ratified, activist endorsed, and a new nominee for Black National Anthem; that it’ll be just as effective performed before a massive festival audience or chanted on the front lines at protests; that it’ll serve as a war cry against police brutality, against Trump, for the survival of the disenfranchised."

OhTheWater likes this.
  15. username

hey you lil piss baby

I said the same thing elsewhere. A few years ago that would have been unthinkable.

The other one that stood out is Drake being on there 4-5 times but Take Care is completely unrepresented. Times are changing!

Aregala and OhTheWater like this.
  16. Craig Manning

I think there are 2-3 country songs on this entire list, which isn’t surprising, but still sucks.

DaydreamNation and phaynes12 like this.
  17. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

its official, Lil Uzi Vert > Kanye West

username likes this.
  18. seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

Not a single song from Sufjan, nothing to see here.

19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

we been knew

matthaber likes this.
  20. matthaber

TBH i really like this list, but its wild to me the only song from Blond on it is Nights.

21. username

hey you lil piss baby

Some cool bits tucked in there. Camp Cope, Phoebe Bridgers, Japanese Breakfast.

The pool of artists is largely what was expected but some of the picks are definitely head scratchers. “Mary” as the sole Big Thief track is one that stuck out to me. Incredible song but definitely thought the consensus pick would be “Shark Smile” or “Mythological Beauty”.

22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

lots of artists who i would think they'd include completely absent. tim hecker, diiv, deafheaven, oneohtrix point never (aside from the anhoni song), rustie. expect we'll see most of them in the albums list but still.

23. Craig Manning

Of all the issues with this list, did not expect “there’s not enough Frank Ocean” to be the one getting called out. So many great artists aren’t represented here at all. Frank has multiple songs on this list and is probably going to rank two albums in their top 20. I think he’ll be fine!

matthaber likes this.
  24. username Oct 7, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 7, 2019)
    username

hey you lil piss baby

Autre Ne Veut - “Play by Play” is the biggest snub

Phosphorescent - “Song for Zula” too

25. matthaber

oh dont get me wrong , i dont think he needed more songs lol. but of all the tracks from blond nights is not the one i would of chosen.