Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Protest the Hero Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by redwing91007, Nov 18, 2016.

1. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Yeah I really did as well, but from what I saw, the pressing was terrible (like really really bad), and I'm not a huge fan of the remastered version as well, so I passed on it sadly.

DeRRek likes this.
  2. DeRRek

Trusted

Yeah. It included some cool stuff as well. Like the slipmat, 8 bit recordings and artwork. Who knows, I may still buy it, haha

3. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Sorry to bump but I’m listening to Volition now and Plato’s Tripartite is one of their more underrated songs. Love the guitar lead and the lyrics are really well done.

4. sukottokairu

Regular

i feel like Volition is underrated as a whole, i've talked to a lot of people that love Fortress but can't get into Volition... but i think it's a really great album, it's very intense but still feels well thought out

5. sawhney[rusted]2

I’m one of those people. Not sure what occurred after Fortress, but none of the full albums past that have caught my ear. I attribute it to being almost too much, Rodys vocals being too operatic, the guitars being too technical, etc. On Kezia and Fortress, their technical limitations forced them to focus more on melody(?) which gave the songs a more memorable flair

It’s not to say I don’t like Volition, PM or Scurrilous...but they don’t have as many catchy moments

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  6. sukottokairu

Regular

that definitely makes sense, there's something about the passion and melody on the first two albums (plus some cheesy but awesome heavy moments) that is great and unmatched in later material for sure.

i enjoy the technicality of volition though, it took a lot of listens to really dissect some of the crazier parts on that album. some albums aren't worth giving time into if you aren't digging it. but, that one definitely grasped me.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  7. ezmo311

Regular Supporter

Scurrilous was the one that never clicked with me, apart from a handful of songs. I know a lot of people who love Tandem, but I find that song just terrible. That said, the stretch from Dunsel through Tongue-Splitter is gold.

8. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

I hold volition in pretty much the same high regard as Kezia and Fortress.

9. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Fortress was a life changing album for me. Up until that point I had never heard an album that technical with that much singing that was genuinely catchy the majority of the time.Scurrilous is good, and so is Volition, but yeah, neither of those quite clicked for me how Fortress did. I think Arif's lyrics might have something to do with that.

10. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

It's weird, because Fortress was the one that never clicked with me. Need to revisit it.

11. waking season Apr 30, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 30, 2018)
    waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I also think Kezia and Fortress have a sense of urgency that the other records haven’t touched. I like them all but there is something special about the first two. Volition and Pacific Myth sound a bit too polished too.

12. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

13. sukottokairu

Regular

can't wait for the new album! i hope rody's voice is doing better now!

sawhney[rusted]2 and skurt like this.
  14. sawhney[rusted]2

"Oh, Hello There...

It has been a little over 6 months since our last update in February. So it needs to be said off the top - thanks for your patience! Believe it or not, a lot has happened since February.

Let's get right to it shall we?

Choady seems to be winning his quarrel with voice-burglars. After off-and-on months of recording what they could, the month of June presented Rody and our vocal producer (Cam) with a decision. Cam was leaving forever on tour with Daniel Caesar (Cam does front of house sound for DC). It sounded like Cam and Rody wouldn't be able to continue recording until 2020, when Cam would be available again. Obviously, another delay in recording was not something any of us were prepared to consider. Then, as if summoned from some heaven-like cloud-city where people are significantly more attractive than here on earth, our friend / producer Anthony K turned up to lend a hand. Actually, he simply left his house near Yorkdale Shopping Center and drove to Whitby where Choady had been recording.

Together, both Rody and Anthony agreed that it was time to say 'fuck it' and get this thing dusted. And so, that's exactly what they are doing. At it again full time, Rody has reported his voice feels better than he can remember. The rough mixes of these tracks are telling a similar story - he sounds great, confident, and a bit more pissed off than usual. It's awesome to hear it come together!

Cam and Anthony will continue to produce the vocals together. We also haven't forgotten about Dez (nor he about us) - as he is still providing crucial notes from his castle in Washington, and is set to be the master of puppeteers when it comes to the handling of mixes and delivery of the final album.

While all this vocal progress is being made, the rest of us are working with our friend and composer Milen to orchestrate additional instrumentation on each song. Our goal is to create our biggest sounding record yet, and that includes opening ourselves up to new instruments and arrangements. It really is some exciting new territory... (while at the same time, kind of familiar - as records like Fortress were peppered with crazy additional production).

We have hired an incredible artist to take the reigns on the record's artwork...and let's just say after seeing some initial sketches, they know what the fuck they are doing! As you may know, the artwork for our records has always been important to us. So, with this record, we made sure to share the lyrics for each song, and explained the concept clearly before then turning it over to the artist completely. It's very satisfying when an artist just 'gets it' so quickly and confidently.

All this positive news is still accompanied with some question marks... As of now, we aren't sure who will mix and master the record - but you will know when we do. We also don't have any confirmed release date either. But if we are speaking realistically, it's toward the very end of this year or the first few months of next.

This record has been our most trying. It has demanded our utmost patience and perseverance, but we are finally turning a corner. Feels like we have really had to fight for this one - and the struggle has really made us appreciate how lucky we are to still be in the position to make music. An immense thanks for your patience (if you are still with us!). The hardest part is in the rearview.

More updates soon.
    -pth"

15. Micah511

I need to do a discog run soon.

16. amorningofsleep

17. Holy crap, finally!

18. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Rody’s performance on Fortress is something else

19. The Canary, first single from their upcoming album, is out there and I'm blown away. Very melodic and reminiscent of Kezia. Probably the catchiest thing they done in a very long time.

Micah511 and riotspray like this.
  20. sawhney[rusted]2

that makes me beyond pumped. they've lost that key element on the later releases

21. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

"reminiscent of Kezia" is easily a top-100 phrase in the entirety of the English language.

Also I had a no idea a new album was even on the way. Huzzah for randomly seeing this thread.

22. amorningofsleep

redwing91007 likes this.
  23. amorningofsleep

[​IMG]

24. sawhney[rusted]2

Yeah not kidding about it sounding like kezia stuff, but mix sounds kinda weird. Glad rody was able to get his voice back, definitely sounds more restrained than ysual

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  25. Micah511

So excited to listen, I assume this is available tomorrow? Kezia and Fortress were life changing albums for me.