Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Protest the Hero - Palimpsest (June 18, 2020) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Two bsides are now out there, but I expect the band to put them out on streaming services asap.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  2. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

holy shit "The Duelling Cavalier" is great

this band

3. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I think this album kinda turned their career around?

4. Rowan5215

I absolutely think it's their best record and one that re-engaged me with their discog after nearly a decade

I know it's an early call but as a concept album, and just a set of front-to-back bangers, they absolutely fucking nailed it

5. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Definitely agree, except with that it’s their best record. But it’s the best extension of what made the band incredible earlier in their career, while adding many new elements. If this is a revitalization of their formula, we have A LOT to look forward to in the future!

Rowan5215, Crisp X and waking season like this.
  6. At least it's the most I've been invested into their music since the Fortress days, they totally won me back for good.

7. Rowan5215

they sound so reinvigorated. Volition and Scurrilous are both cool, but they sound slightly awkward to me, like the band didn't quite know how to write with Arif doing less and Rody taking more and more of the lyrics. even though this album was recorded like 2 years before Rody laid down the vocals (I think) the chemistry is absolutely flawless. I really love this basically

8. sukottokairu

Regular

ughh those b-sides are soo good, the ending of "dueling cavalier" might be one of the best moments, can't believe that this song wasn't on the album!

i wonder where these songs would be on the tracklisting?

Rowan5215 likes this.
  9. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Both songs have killer verses and choruses, but I can’t help but think they needed bridges to help the outros land. The transitions are more jarring than they are on the other songs from the Palimpsest sessions.

10. Rowan5215

I can't help but feel like "The Duelling Cavalier" should have been on the album after "Gardenias"? they have a very similar theme of the silent film era of Hollywood and its corrupting influence on society - which tracks because this album seems to have a lot of songs in thematic sets of two ("From the Sky"/"The Canary", "Soliloquy"/"Reverie", "The Fireside"/"Little Snakes")

I also like the flow of that a lot more because "Gardenias" is kinda weirdly hidden at the end of this album between two interludes, another song would help it land a lot more. plus holy shit TDC is so good, I've already listened to it like a dozen times

ezmo311 likes this.
  11. Rowan5215

the b-sides are on Spotify now. hell yes

waking season and Micah511 like this.
  12. Micah511

Both of these slap but The Dueling Cavalier is next level stuff. These solidify this as my AOTY. No idea how anything could top it at this point. I still get so hype when the drums kick in on The Migrant Mother.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  13. tvck

Trusted

Micah511 likes this.
  14. Micah511

My vinyl is finally arriving today. It's the red/white/blue signed with the 7". I'll post some pics later.

15. Micah511

16. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Listening to this for the first time in a while and man All Hands rules

17. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Rody sounds so good on this

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  18. Rowan5215

I'M STANDING HERE IN DISBELIEF LIKE HOW IN THE HELL IS THIS HAPPENING TO MEEEE

19. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

The harsh vocals about halfway through Gardenias goddamn. The “the truth yes a blonde” part.

20. Rowan5215

that is without hyperbole my favourite Rody performance on record

the fact that he did that *after* vocal surgery is fucking insanity

21. ezmo311

Regular Supporter

That part still gets me every time.

And the end as well - TAKE FROM ME THIS BODY, ITS ALL THAT I HAVE LEFT.

So good

waking season likes this.
  22. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I love that deeper voice he uses in Migrant Mother around 2:10, that verse is in my head pretty often

waking season likes this.
  23. Micah511

Spotify tells me PTH were my top artist for the year, and my top five songs were the first four actual songs here + Reverie. Yeah, it's miles and away my AOTY.

beachdude and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  24. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I don't think this was posted already, but I keep listening to this. It's so good.

25. Micah511

Rowan5215 likes this.