Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Protest the Hero - Palimpsest (June 18, 2020) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 16, 2020.

1. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Doing my first listen while working this morning, and the punk/hardcore aspect of this record is really giving it an energy/life that hasn’t been present in a while.

2. sawhney[rusted]2

Lmao going back and forth between this and Phoebe Bridgers like Jekyll and Hyde

3. sawhney[rusted]2

Motion for Rivet to be their anointed their best closer!

also, this is the least fatigued I’ve been listening to a PTH album. It’s hard to make it to the end of Fortress many full listen-throughs

4. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I wonder how quickly they'll write more stuff. It seems the music for this was written well over two years ago.

5. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

After a weekend with this I think:

Fortress
    Kezia
    Palimpsest
    Scurrilous
    Volition
    Pacific Myth

6. ezmo311

Regular Supporter

Absolutely. I love a lot of that album. But Tapestry is probably my least favorite PTH song ever. Sex Tapes isn't far behind.

7. Micah511

I know we've talked about *that* section that Rody sings in From the Sky, but the "There's fire on both sides of the door" might be my favorite part of the song.

8. Micah511

Kind of wild how much Kezia holds up, especially considering their age when they wrote/recorded it.

9. Micah511

On to Fortress. They really came into their own here. Also since I've been listening to the new one so much the sheer brutality and heaviness here really caught me off guard. I think this one is still the best, but I've gained a newfound appreciation for Volition and the new one is fantastic, so let's say those 3 are Tier 1.

10. andysoto523

Regular

Honestly Protest The Hero struck gold with this album. I'm playing the album in its entirety for the 3rd time today and I've listened to it at least 10x since Friday. I'm not sure if it beats Fortress but i enjoy it more than Kezia. I enjoy their other releases as well but I don't find myself going back to them that often.

11. Micah511

Just an FYI, the preorders on Sheet Happens run until Thursday. I’m gonna try to pick it up before them to support and hopefully give them a successful first week since they self funded this album.

waking season likes this.
  12. Micah511

I need to brush up on my history. I have no idea what they’re talking about in any of the songs. I know Amelia Earhart, Hindenburg, Mount Rushmore, but I really don’t know the story/history of these events. Into Wikipedia I go!

13. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

The last two minutes of From the Sky is very much my jam.

14. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Kind of in the same boat. I haven’t really cared to listen to this band in years but this album is just hitting the spot.

andysoto523 likes this.
  15. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

recency bias killing me but "From the Sky" is legitimately my favourite PTH song now

16. Micah511

Geez the end of The Fireside just got me.

I ordered the deluxe vinyl with the 7" that has two bonus songs. They're hyping them up as only being left off the album due to it pushing the runtime over an hour, so I'm really excited to check them out.

17. chong138

First Protest the Hero album I've listened to more than once. I still think they do too much guitar wanking, and going by simpler is better would help in some spots...but I like it. I'm at about 10 listens now. Definitely my favorite by them.

18. Rowan5215

really hope a digital rip of those 7" bonuses shows up soon, dying to hear them

ezmo311 and Crisp X like this.
  19. Micah511

preorders dont ship until mid to late july, so i doubt they'll be available before then.

20. Rowan5215

ah damn :(

time to rinse "All Hands" for a few weeks straight I guess

Crisp X and Micah511 like this.
  21. Micah511

This part:

"So swaddle me in a Native blanket
    You know I can’t stand being cold
    Leave me out front of the bleeding church
    To meet the head of the household
    I sold my soul for a handful of kills and a bankroll
    I sold my soul"

and this part:

"You had your big dreams and planted a seed
    You wanted a flower, but turned out a weed
    My petals will curl and fall to the ground
    You’ll whisper my name and you’ll spread me around
    And as you grow in my supposed image
    You won’t inherit the truth of how I feel
    You’ll just assume that it’s real"

Are really doing it for me right now. I haven't stopped listening to this for a week now.

22. ezmo311

Regular Supporter

Those two are just killer, back to back. Soliloquy and Reverie are the ones I've shared with friends to give the album a try.

I'm trying to pace myself a bit. Gave the album a break yesterday. Will probably go back to it today or tomorrow.

Micah511 likes this.
  23. Rowan5215

OH NO

I THINK I'M BLEEDING OUT

waking season, ezmo311 and Micah511 like this.
  24. Micah511

I need to do that, but it really is the only thing I want to listen to. I guess I can keep listening to the other albums in their discog, haha.

Yeah Reverie and All Hands have been the ones I've been sharing, All Hands being the most catchy, and I hope the intro to Reverie sucks them in.

25. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

“We can make an exception
    And they can make some concessions
    Because there’s gold in the Black Hills
    Armed to the teeth
    We can make an example of every one of these savages
    Because the rights they have we gave to them
    And we can take them away without giving a damn”

“The truth, yes a blonde, yes a blond, yes a blonde
    Apparent in the night, but absent come the dawn
    The truth, yes a blonde, yes a blond, yes a blonde
    Apparent in the night, but absent come the dawn”

I really love Rody’s delivery on these as well as the passages mentioned before

Rowan5215 and ezmo311 like this.