Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Protest the Hero - Palimpsest (June 18, 2020) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 16, 2020.

1. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

This is excellent.

2. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I think I underestimate Volition. I’m listening now and it rips. I think it just sounds more samey than this new one does which makes me not think as highly of it.

3. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Volition is great but it feels a little too polished at times, still love it though

4. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but the production on this is so sleek and clean that it doesn't sound real. Like, you could tell me that no human being actually played a note of this and I would have no trouble believing that

waking season likes this.
  5. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

That’s the biggest problem I have with Volition. I can still hear that here but the energy of the songs makes up for it for me.

6. Micah511

Ah yeah, Underbite. Definitely one of my least favorite songs of theirs.

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I've listened to All Hands a bunch today. This rules.

8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

man, this is so good

9. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I am enjoying this! I have never listened to them but saw Jason's remarks today and have now listened to this in full 5 times!

10. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Every song has an incredibly catchy/chills-inducing moment, something I haven’t experienced from them since Fortress

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  11. Micah511

Heck yeah! So glad this album is getting a good reception and new people are discovering them.

12. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Easily their best since Fortress.

13. sukottokairu Jun 19, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 19, 2020)
    sukottokairu

Regular

so glad everyone is checking this out and talking about it! i feel like PTH has never been very popular on this site, but they are extremely talented and deserve some attention! this is going to be a very important album for them financially, as they completely self funded the album and are releasing it on their own label, so i hope everyone chooses to support!

there's also an AMA up on reddit with some cool info from rody and mike! the guitars were all recorded direct in and then applying Neural DSP tones, which is insane! really shows how far technology has gone, knowing that the guitar tones can sound this good using no microphones or amps! (i know axe FX has been a thing for a while, but that still uses dedicated hardware) that also may explain some of the "too sleek/computerized" sound some people are describing.

honestly though i feel like this album doesn't sound super clean and can be a little muddy at times. this actually sounds more like a step back, or a lower budget sounding mix. or maybe its the mastering... but it sounds a little weak and hard to decipher at times. i think overall it's the worst sounding album since Kezia. but that's okay, it doesn't really take away from the songs, and to me it adds to the punk vibe of the album.

14. ezmo311

Regular Supporter

I keep going back to Soliloquy and Reverie. Those two songs are immediately top tier PTH tracks for me.

15. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

gardenia is so good

16. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve had All Hands stuck in my head all day

17. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Fanfuckintastic album

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  18. Everytime I want to give this album another listen, I end up listening to Harborside and All Hands on repeat. The latter is an instant top... 10(?) Protest The Hero song.

19. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

The main riff in Gardenias is straight off of Scurrilous

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  20. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

This is all I want to listen to

ezmo311 likes this.
  21. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

All Hand's is an absolute banger and hella catchy but instrumentally it sounds like a heavier version of something off of Say Anything's Hebrews

22. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Been listening to this a lot and I really dug the album art so...new avatar!

23. Micah511

Huh, I wouldn't have guessed I felt this way, but I'm relistening to the discog and Scurrilous is their worst. It has some absolute bangers (Cest la Vie, Hair Trigger, Dunsel, Termites) but there's a lot of duds. I feel like, Scurrilous more than their other albums, there's a lot of cool parts in each song, but only a few songs hit the mark front to back. Also Rody's lyrics get pretty cringey at times.

Also yeah, let's get some PTH repping avatars in here. @scottlechowicz

ezmo311 and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  24. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

So many of my favorite bands in High School have been having a resurgence of late, Coheed, PTH, now just need for The Fall of Troy to release a comeback of sorts

KalValor likes this.
  25. Micah511

Man I really wish TFOT could capture some of the magic of Doppelganger and Manipulator.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.