Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Protest the Hero - Palimpsest (June 18, 2020) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Yeah it's out there. Going to give it a listen and see if there are any bundles because I totally missed all the announcements

2. sukottokairu

Regular

wowww, blown away by the first listen! at first i wasn't sure how much variety the album was going to have, but it really does have it all! production is a bit raw at times but, i think it fits the vibe of the album. rody knocked it out of the park. the guitars riffs are satisfying, and there's a powerful message behind the songs. can't wait to dig into this some more, there's a lot to digest!

3. strangeterrain

Regular

This is sounding very very nice on first listen.

4. This is excellent. It's like a perfect blend of every album, and there's a sense of melody, "epicness" or cinematicness, and quirkiness they haven't pulled off this consistently in a long time.

Reminds me of White Bat by He Is Legend in the way that it sounds like a return to form somehow.

5. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

haven't listened to these guys since, I think Scurrilous? reaction to this one has me quite excited though

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Excited to hear the whole thing. Though I am not a fan of how the vocals sound on Canary.

7. KalValor

Regular

I’m just popping in to say ALL HANDS ALL HANDS ALL HANDS

ezmo311, waking season and tvck like this.
  8. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Well crap, bought the album on my work's remote desktop and haven't received the email with the download link yet...does anyone know if you get an email link if you checked out as a guest through Sheet Happens?

9. tvck

Trusted

This is so good

KalValor likes this.
  10. There definitely are parts where Rody's vocals sound strained, like he's forcing himself to reach these high notes, but then that's been the case with every album. I'm used to it at this point.

11. Micah511 Jun 18, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 18, 2020)
    Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

PTH were my favorite metal band when Fortress came out, and they fell off a little bit with each release after that for me, but this is sounding really promising so far.

EDIT: Well The last minute of The Fireside just gave me chills, we're really doing this huh

12. strangeterrain

Regular

I’m always surprised to hear people say this band fell off after Fortress. Volition is an incredible album. Pacific Myth is good too.

13. Have never listened to this band but I saw All Hands going around as a recommended track from this and I fucking love it. Wowwww.

ezmo311, waking season and Micah511 like this.
  14. Rowan5215

second half of "From the Sky" left my jaw on the fucking floor, wow

ezmo311 likes this.
  15. Rowan5215

glad they brought back the piano interludes for this one, some of my favourite parts about Fortress. a few songs on this blended together but for the most part? bangers wall to wall

16. Yes! Harborside into All Hands provides that and it's such a career highlight. I was literally thinking out loud "holy shit, this is the Protest The Hero I fell in love with" multiple times in that stretch

waking season and Rowan5215 like this.
  17. Rowan5215

this is definitely the most I've been engaged by them in a long time. just bought this off bandcamp to support, hell yeah

reading up on the history behind some of these songs is pretty crazy, especially "Little Snakes" and "Gardenias". Rody's writing has come a looong way since Scurrilous

18. sawhney[rusted]2

Damn, I’m up to Harborside right now and I have the biggest smile on my face. They’re nailing it so far!!!

ezmo311 and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  19. sawhney[rusted]2

All Hands is absolutely gnarly. Exactly what Scurrilous should have been

20. Micah511 Jun 19, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 19, 2020)
    Micah511

I can't fully explain why, but I'm enjoying this so much more than Volition or Pacific Myth. I think there's just an energy here that was missing on those.

EDIT: Looking at vinyl pricing and I'm cool with $30 for a 2xLP, but $13.50 for S&H for $43.50 total? That's a hard sell.

21. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

It's 100% the energy. I think the idea to make a more overtly political album was a great decision, it feels like there's more fire behind these songs.

22. Micah511

Also, mad props on the lyrics to Rody. I was a big detractor of his lyrics when he started writing them instead of Arif, but these lyrics are masterful.

23. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I think this is my favorite since Fortress. Definitely a bit of recency bias but it has a sense of urgency that’s been missing the last few records. Harborside into All Hands is something else.

24. Micah511

Hey @Jason Tate get in here. He shouted out this album in the newsletter. Tell us what your liking about it!

25. Hahaha. It's good! Lots of energy and some cool riffs in there.

sawhney[rusted]2 and KalValor like this.