Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Promising Young Woman (Emerald Fennell, April 17, 2020) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Serh Dec 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 15, 2020)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Starring Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, Alison Brie, Connie Britton, Adam Brody, Jennifer Coolidge, Laverne Cox, Max Greenfield, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Sam Richardson, Clancy Brown, and Molly Shannon

2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

good start

3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Serh likes this.
  4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

will give it all up for carey

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Sub. What a cast

6. CobraKidJon Jan 31, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 31, 2020)
    CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I saw this tweet today

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

well fuck

8. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

Is there any way I can get a non spoiler version of the tweet?

trevorshmevor likes this.
  9. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I just read through it and it’s difficult to provide a non spoiler version, but essentially the movie you’re presented with is not what it was marketed as at all. Basically the majority of revenge is taken out on female enablers and the denouement of the film revolves around one last, very disturbing, gruesome act inflicted upon a female character in service of the plot. Male characters mostly “suffer” by becoming social pariahs and receiving a slap on the wrist by the justice system.

riotspray, PatRFinley and OhTheWater like this.
  10. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

fucked up... jesus

11. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

Wtf why would they market it like the opposite of that lol

12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

out this christmas, i guess

13. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Is this streaming somewhere?

14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I think the theatrical window for it goes up next week and then it’ll be on VOD.

soggytime likes this.
  15. Morrissey

Trusted

It leaked last night, along with a few others.

16. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I saw the movie last night and this simply isn’t true. Having said that, it’s a very dark and upsetting watch...incredibly acted and shot, very very mixed feelings in that aforementioned gruesome act. The movie is pointing out something very clear, and it’s debatable if it went too far or not to make that point.

Zilla and riotspray like this.
  17. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I watched it a couple nights ago and have had mixed feelings ever since. Everything in those tweets is true. It outlines the story and all the plot points to a tee. The question is whether or not the point the movie was trying to get across was effective or not. I'm not positive that it was.

I feel like this could have been an amazing movie, but the last 20 minutes or so really determine how you're going to feel about this.

18. SteveLikesMusic

yea....I’m being an armchair writer here but I feel like she could have written a slightly different last act that achieved the same thing without being so brutal

19. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

The brutality of it was bas enough, but the fact that the Cassie is some kind of martyr for her cause was a little offensive too. Then we're supposed to feel redeemed/satisfied that her murderer gets arrested at his wedding, but in the end the woman is dead and her murderer is *maybe? going to tried for her murder (we're not even really sure what the outcome of that is, not that it even matters, but...) - I assume the message was that the system is designed to protect abusers and even in this situation where this woman took things into her own vigilante hands, she still wound up dead and there's still abiguity about the fate of her murderer. Just felt like there could have been a different ending where the protagonist doesn't die and her attacker actually gets his, but everything kinda just made it seems like Cassie was this crazy bitch out to get "innocent" men. Like all of HER actions were the cause for these men's actions and ultimately she "caused" her own death.
    I dunno... I will say it's had me thinking for a couple days now.

20. SteveLikesMusic

I didn’t think it portrayed any men as innocent haha

21. soggytime

Trusted

This is probably my last most anticipated movie of 2020 that I haven't seen yet. I might wait for VOD but if I get a hold of a leak....

22. riotspray Jan 2, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 2, 2021)
    riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

that's kinda why I put innocent in quotes. maybe that's not the right word, but basically every man got off free. The last guy gets arrested at his wedding, but again we don't know the outcome, and I can only assume that he'll plead self defense and all his buddies will testify for him and the only other witness is dead

23. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I will say, I'm cautiously curious to see other reactions.

I'm sure some will say this is an "all men are bad" movie.

24. matthaber Jan 2, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 2, 2021)
    matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

Yeah i loved it i think, and thought it was super affecting. I thought the ending was good. Not sure how i feel about the texts/it being all apart of her plan, but her death + reaction to it really drove home a lot of the themes. So much of the movie is dealing with how people(men in case of movie) justify their actions to skirt responsibility for their actions. So little time is spent grappling with the death of a person. I worry this is gonna be one of those cases where once it hits a streaming service people are gonna eat it alive for various many reasons, very divisive. I think it does a good job balancing justifying all her actions against the men while also showing the consequences of indulging 100% straight into your own revenge fantasy. The fact that you see the consequences of her revenge in various ways in relation to her life is probably is what gonna make people the most uncomfortable.

I also think the fact that i already seen takes all over saying “the men are innocent” is only gonna drive home the point why this movie deserves to exist/needed to be made.

Aaron Mook and imthesheriff like this.
  25. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

Biggest take away is Carey Mulligan is amazing

imthesheriff likes this.