Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Programming • Page 6

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Would that be considered programming at a very basic level? I figured this would be a good place to ask.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  2. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

That's definitely a form of programming!

Brenden likes this.
  3. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Nice. B-)

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  4. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Go is neat

5. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Brenden likes this.
  6. I find noodling around excel sheets oddly satisfying.

7. danielalee12

Regular

The react fundamentals course is pretty good, but the guy that's lecturing goes extremely fast. I might have to redo it all over again.

8. drewinseries

Drew

Starting a project that will use evolutionary algorithms, pretty pumped.

9. danielalee12

Regular

What is an evolutionary algorithm? Sounds very interesting

10. drewinseries Apr 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 7, 2016)
    drewinseries

Drew

From what I have been taught (i'm slowly realizing in computer science there is a ton of crossover of named things) it's a set of algorithms that generate populations, and manage and assess fitness. They reproduce and create more populations with higher diversity. It seemed to have been born from a biological standpoint, but are quiet varied. I'll be using it to model gene expression over time with mutation and genetic diversity.

11. I only have much experience with genetic algorithms, but in general, I've found the name makes it sound way more interesting than it actually is.

12. drewinseries

Drew

Is it true that the term genetic algorithm isn't only related to biological computation? It's like a class of it's own?

13. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

14. 9th At Pine

Last one out of Liberty City burn it to the ground

Hey everyone, great to find a programming thread here. I'll be graduating with an MS in Computer Science in June and am just now starting the job hunt. Any tips from people working in the field about good job search sites to use or other general tips? I was recruited by Google about a month ago and did my onsite interview there last week. That was my first ever in person interview for a software engineering job, so it was certainly difficult but it went better than expected (not expecting I'll get it this time but will probably try again later). Anyways any tips would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm mostly looking on LinkedIn and the Builtin sites for different cities

15. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

Even if you don't know how to solve a problem, just be sure to talk out loud what you're thinking. Companies appreciate to hear how you solve the problem, and how close you are getting in your head to actually solving it. Also, if you are interested in small startups you can always look at ycombinator and see what postings are on there. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

9th At Pine and perceptrons like this.
  16. For finding jobs, i went with HackerNews's monthly "Who's Hiring?" posts and StackExchange Careers. Other than that, I just look at places who's products/offering is something I know I like.

9th At Pine likes this.
  17. clucky

Trusted Supporter

As far as finding leads, your university should have some career resources that you should certainly try and take advantage of.

Best tip for interviews is just to be sure to be thinking out loud -- the interviewer certainly cares about the process you take to solve a problem because it shows how you'll approach future problems if you get a job there.

9th At Pine likes this.
  18. danielalee12

Regular

Do any of you know how to contribute to open source projects? What's the process and how do you find potential projects to work on with others?

19. clucky

Trusted Supporter

It depends a lot on the project. Many of them will have 'getting started' resources though (like MediaWiki's here: How to contribute - MediaWiki)

As far as finding interesting projects to help work on, can't really help much there. Is there a type of project you're interested in?

20. danielalee12

Regular

Nope, I don't have anything specific. I just think that coding in open source would be a great way for me to develop my programming skills further, as well as learn besides other great programmers.

21. This is a really broad question. Technically, you could just find any old project on GitHub, attempt to contribute to it and that would be that. I assume, however, you're talking about contributing to some larger effort? About the same process: Find a project that interests you, that you have relevant skills for, and just start small. Even something as simple as contributing documentation improvements are helpful.

22. CassinoNorth

Newbie Prestigious

Working my way through FreeCodeCamp and this is the first time since I started teaching myself programming that everything is clicking. I'm through the HTML/CSS/Jquery sections and starting JS.

I did a few C++ courses at the local community college that were decent and ran through a bit of Learn Python the Hard Way. Having a decent base in C++ seems like it's helping with JS a bit.

23. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

What am I messing up in this inFile stuff, happened with my last program too..

#include <iostream>
    #include <fstream>
    #include <cmath>

using namespace std;

void getData(string fileName, string answerKey[], string testAnswers[], int &nExams, int NUM_QUESTIONS)
    {
        ifstream inFile;
        inFile.open(fileName.c_str());

nExams = 0;

if (!inFile)
        {
            cout << "Error - file not found";
        }
        for (int i = 0; i < NUM_QUESTIONS; i++)
        {
            inFile >> answerKey[i];
        }
        for (int i = 0; i < NUM_QUESTIONS; i++)
        {
            cout << answerKey[i];
        }

}

int main()
    {

const int NUM_QUESTIONS = 10;
    const string fileName = "grade_data.txt";
    int nExams = 0;

string answerKey[NUM_QUESTIONS];
    string testAnswers[NUM_QUESTIONS];

getData(fileName, answerKey, testAnswers, nExams, NUM_QUESTIONS);

cout << "Processing...\n";
    }
    [code]

24. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

What error are you seeing?

25. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

if (!inFile) is triggering the Error statement there... the whole process of passing data into an array from a file is a bit confusing for me..

For this one for example the first line in the .txt is supposed to be the answer key for some test, and the subsequent strings are supposed to be student tests. I get actually using the arrays themselves, but passing the data is bungling me up.