Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Programming • Page 5

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Mar 5, 2016.

1. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Holla.

Are you using Alcatraz (the package manager) in Xcode? I've been messing with it these last few weeks.

2. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

The 80-20 rule (80% of the work takes 20% of the time) is such a buzz kill. Slowly realizing I have a shit ton of more work to do. Gonna need a team.

3. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

Haha I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't use a package manager or import code from other sources (except for Flurry and AlamoFire if analytics or API calls are needed).

4. drewinseries

Drew

Any of the pros out there have tips on how to stay fresh and in it when taking time off from more intensive programming? This semester is odd for me, I am doing Assembly, which uses some C, but not really, and a bioinformatics course which is more theory and utilizing pre-built open source tools. I get the typical, just program everyday, but anything specific in how to keep skills refined?

5. Two main routes: hack away on side projects from tine to time and/or work on problems from sites like HackerRank.

I don't know how long you've been programming, but I find it doesn't actually fade away that quickly and will come back "just like riding a bike."

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  6. MoreOrLessPaul

:)

Anyone using Reactjs/ES6 in this thread?

7. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

R is amazing! I used that a ton in a 400 level stats course that I took. It was the only thing that stopped me from pulling my hair out.

8. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

id say pick up a small side project to work on. Not only will it keep you practicing your coding and learning new things, at the end of it you will have something to put on your resume. Just develop something small and useful that is related to what you like and you will find it really easy to work on it every day. I find personal projects are easier to stay motivated working on them compared to doing coding practices online.

9. drewinseries

Drew

Thanks for the advice. I think i'll pick up a side project. I've always had issues trying to find something to work on, hopefully I can find something interesting.

10. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

the biggest tip i can give is make sure to pick something realistic. Think of a small task that you do on a daily/weekly basis that annoys you and develop a small program to help you out with that. Its really easy to get carried away with personal projects if you go "oh i have this great iphone app idea, ill make that!". Its not realistic to take on such a huge project when you got classes on the side. Pick something small enough that will only take a month or two to do and don't think about wanting to selling it after, it should be for personal gain only. I know way to many people (myself included) from school who had unfinished project after unfinished project because of taking on too big a task.

11. Yes, love both. Of the big frameworks, React is my favorite --- maps nicely to my functional heart.

MoreOrLessPaul likes this.
  12. danielalee12

Regular

I'm starting to learn how to use it. Any tips or tutorials to get started?

MoreOrLessPaul likes this.
  13. Nick Martin

There are no answers. Only choices.

Newbie seeking insight and advice. I've been working through several online web development series via Treehouse, Codeacademy, and Code School, and was recently introduced to several coding "bootcamps" as "next steps" with respect to my education and professional development. What are people's thoughts on these bootcamps? I'd also appreciate any suggestions or recommendations with respect to readings, online resources, and any general tips for broadening my knowledge and skills. Thanks!

14. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Not familiar with coding bootcamps, but from my experience the best way to broaden knowledge is to find a project to work on. Could be contributing to some other open source project or could be building something yourself, but the practice of "hey how do I actually go about building something useful" is vital to actual learning anything

15. noxee

Regular Prestigious

This seems to be a fairly well received React tutorial React.js Fundamentals: The best place to become familiar with React.js and the React.js Ecosystem.

It doesn't go into any ES6/7 functionality but he has another course for $45 that goes into it Learn ES6/7 for React.js. There should be plenty of free resources out there, it just depends on how you learn.

egghead.io - Learn professional JavaScript tools with Tutorial Videos & Training also has a pretty good collection of React tutorials/courses (as well as a lot of other interesting JavaScript courses). If you're learning React I'd look into the Redux course Getting Started with Redux - Course by @dan_abramov as it's a good compliment to React for managing an application's state (the Redux courses is actually from the guy who created the framework so it's got some good information in it).

Lastly, I started creating a book release application using React/Redux with a Rails API backend which you can find at GitHub - noxee/reddit-fantasy: Companion website for the r/Fantasy community on Reddit. The React side is a little outdated and I need to sit down and refactor it quite a bit but it gives a basic idea of one way to structure a React/Redux application.

16. I found the official documentation, random googling and just trying to build something to be sufficient.

My main advice would be to embrace stateless, reusable components.

17. elliottsaray

hunk of lead

any AngularJS lords (Angulords) here?

18. danielalee12

Regular

Hey I'm starting to go through that first tutorial you linked and I'm definitely learning a lot. However, it's pretty hard! Hopefully the more I practice, the more I'll be able to understand it. I'm coming from a python Tornado/Flask background and just learned Node and Express over the last two months.

19. Nick Martin

There are no answers. Only choices.

Thanks for the advice! There are a couple of groups in the area I plan on connecting with to learn more about projects to which I could contribute.

20. MoreOrLessPaul

21. MoreOrLessPaul

22. Brenden Apr 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 5, 2016)
    Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

So I'm trying to come up with an excel formula and I'm having trouble making it work. Not sure if it's the right place but I'll try.

I'm trying to figure out how many days someone was on site extra. So it would be end date (N3) minus start date (M3) with the first day not counting. So the formula I'm going for is (N3-M3)-1.

My issue is if the value is blank I get a weird thing ### that I don't want. Also if it's -1 because it all happened on the same day I just want it to still read zero.

Does that make sense?

23. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Never mind that last post. I'm stupid.

24. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Did you figure it out?

25. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah. I realized that even though we count March 1-3 as 3 days when you do the formula of End-Start it comes out to be 2 which is the number I'm looking for. My manager had said in his email it should be (End-Start)-1 which only makes sense in how we think of it not how excel calculates.

I then figured out how to do a conditional statement to allow blank data points to show nothing.