Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Programming • Page 23

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

2. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  3. glennshort

I like to do programming on C, C++, java. Now i want to learn python, can anybody share any platform to learn this

4. maddistrong

For web programming, I recommend to start with HTML5

DarthSidious and RyanPm40 like this.
  5. maddistrong

Hi, guys, I would like to tell you my story about programming and how I earn money by creating programs and applications. In 2016, I created my first app without any knowledge or experience in programming. I used custom software development companies to write me applications and then promote them on the web market place. On my first application, I earned ~ $ 1400, and spent $ 1000, profit - $ 400. Then I started working with a developer company that we work with today and we have already made about 50 apps (more than half of them we've sold). I still haven't learned any programming languages, but I still earn money by creating apps. If there're people who would like to cooperate with me, write to me in the PM and I'll answer you as soon as possible.

6. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Anyone know how it's possible that my phone is giving me ad suggestions for a product I searched for over a company VPN?

Surprised that a standing desk I was googling on my work laptop started appearing in ads on my Instagram feed when the VPN should be forcing that traffic through a different IP. I guess all traffic still needs to leave my Comcast router before passing through the VPN..

7. DarthSidious

Ok, it can be started from HTMLS, but what's next? I'm thinking about becoming a network Cisco certified engineer, but I just started to learn this stuff. Next will be C++ I suppose? Or Java? Right now I'm hunting for any knowledge I can get. One of my friends is a network engineer, and he told me that I can obtain Cisco certification in SPOTO and the only thing I need to do is study. Because they don't give you certification without passing the exam, and this exam is tough, as far as I understand.

8. If HTML/CSS give you the web dev bug, learning a modern PHP framework like Symfony/Laravel would be useful. Learn SQL too.

As for Cisco, you'll want to study. There are plenty of resources for that. I'm not sure what learning web development will do for your aspirations to be a networking engineer, though.

9. patrickserrano

Newbie Supporter

were you logged into the same accounts on both devices? That’s usually the fastest way for that to happen. Especially if it was anything related to Google or Facebook.

Also if your work VPN is using split-tunneling then only the work related traffic will go over the VPN but normal internet traffic is treated as if you don’t have a VPN. That’s very common since it reduces usage of the VPN to only the parts that need it.

10. RyanPm40

Nope! Social media is locked down on our company VPN, and our apps and websites are internal-only and can't be browsed to through the public internet. Only looked at this item on my work laptop. Very weird, but it must have something to do with it going through my router

11. patrickserrano

Newbie Supporter

VPN traffic should be encrypted, so I don’t think it’s the ISP or router. Did you use the same machine without the VPN? If so that would probably explain it, since ISPs do sell your browsing history to advertisers (as if they’re not charging enough already )

Other than that, I’d say you just landed in a targeted audience based on other browsing habits. My wife is a director of social media, and has explained how those kinds of overlaps happen a lot more than you’d expect especially when they buy 3rd party data to enrich the audience.

12. scroopy.noopers

: (

Flatiron School's Data Science bootcamp prep's overview of Python got me on board pretty quick. Its free on their site.

13. extremesportist

As a complete beginner in high school, i started learning programming by watching tutorial videos by thenewboston.

I'm currently studying software engineering at university, and even now when i'm about to learn something new, i always start by watching Bucky's videos first, and then continue with books and course materials.

14. Had my first professional "bug bash" by coworkers on some of my code today. Should be in production by EOW. Another few smaller branches pending as well. Pretty exciting stuff.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. EddieDS

Regular Supporter

hey programmers, i just started dabbling with javascript and created a chrome extension that i think some other chorus users might find helpful. i'm also hoping that others may want to contribute!

i've been using the politics thread to keep up with news, but man, some days there's so much activity it's hard to keep up. it can be hard to recognize important posts while scrolling through pages and pages, so i thought it would be nice to highlight the good ones.

i have two features working:
    - posts made by "starred users" are identified with a star emoji
    - posts with 4+ likes are identified with a heart emoji

it's very rough and basic, but i'm already finding it helpful. i really hope it's something we can build on and add more useful features a la the reddit enhancement suite. any other feedback or suggestions are appreciated as well!

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  16. EddieDS

Regular Supporter

here's an example of a post by a starred user with more than 4 likes

upload_2020-9-3_18-49-17.png

17. RyanPm40

Lol whoever wrote the DockerClientLibrary for Java is apparently a Death Note fan. It logs "Ryuk started" on startup :crylaugh:

18. EddieDS

Regular Supporter

uhh i sure hope it's the library logging that lol. the last company i worked for got hit by ransomware named after ryuk

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. RyanPm40

Lmao good catch. Yeah it looks like it's a part of their TestContainers from some googling

EddieDS likes this.
  20. Slavic Jakubko Oct 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 18, 2020)
    Slavic Jakubko

Yeah, the programming plays really a great role in my life. I am working with the programming of some additional soft for the CRM systems. Now I am trying to realize the classic to lightning migration of Salesforce CRM. If someone has such experience I will be very thankful if you will share the experience with me. Yeah, it is rather an unusual task, but I need to understand how to do that

21. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

just came in here to say that I started one of those bootcamps and this stuff is hard but i'm enjoying the challenge

drewinseries and aliens exist like this.
  22. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

been interviewing for senior engineering jobs, and wow is it a practice. there's so much stuff to be prepped on that seem like such a small part of my day to day. it feels good to be back out there though

23. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

i'm still in my early learnings of the object oriented stuff but this gets crazy real quick

paperlung likes this.
  24. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

you going for a career in development?

25. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

That's the goal, but I'm not opposed to going back to Product, as long as its on the technical side