Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Programming • Page 22

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Mar 5, 2016.

1. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Stack Overflow is down and everyone in my office is freaking out. That is maybe not a good sign.

drewinseries and RyanPm40 like this.
  2. RyanPm40 Jan 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 14, 2020)
    RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Ugh, our users are pushing us to turn all yes/no radio buttons into dropdowns because they can't be bothered to use left and right arrow keys to switch between them instead of hitting the tab key, and they don't want to click them. I think it's kinda ugly and unnecessary for a two option question heh. Is this considered bad UX?

zigbigwig likes this.
  3. It might look silly, but the tab key is easier to press than arrows are. If it makes their work faster/easier, then it's good UX.

4. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I make web apps for a group of engineers who ask me to do things that go completely against my design principles, but sometimes at the end of the day I just have to give them what they want. If it works for them and doesn't break anything then it's good design in my book.

EddieDS, zigbigwig and RyanPm40 like this.
  5. RyanPm40

Yeah those are good points. I guess the reason they want it is so they can tab onto it and press "Y" or "N" to autocomplete it and I just don't understand how that's easier than tabbing onto it and then arrows, but ah well, easy enough change

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

My keyboard doesn’t even have dedicated arrow keys.

7. RyanPm40

Woah, weird. Can't say I've ever run into one of those!

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I use a HHKB. It’s fantastic.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. scroopy.noopers

: (

i'm on my first job hunt within the programming world and not looking forward to tech interviews. got my first one tomorrow

10. paperlung Jan 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 14, 2020)
    paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

You'll do great. Just remember, even if you don't solve the problems they present you it doesn't mean you won't get the job. Just speak your thoughts out loud as much as you can so they can get a good feel for how you think and solve problems.

And at the end of the day you're interviewing them as well to see if they're a fit for you.

11. scroopy.noopers

: (

i nailed the coding part, but completely bombed the stats part which i kind of anticipated. now i know what area i need to focus on tho

12. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

wowza i've been learning kubernetes for my team so we can more easily update our services that we depend on. what a can of worms this is.

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

that looks like spam. Is that spam?

14. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  15. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

SELECT
    COALESCE(SELECT ‘Y’
    FROM CHORUS chor
    WHERE chor.avatar IS NULL
      AND chor.postcount < 3
      AND UPPER(chor.postcontent) LIKE ‘%HREF%’
    , ‘N’)

16. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

lmao

RyanPm40 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

Ken and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  18. EddieDS

Regular Supporter

i'm starting a new java developer position next week and honestly the thing i'm most anxious for is getting used to osx. i have like 30 minutes of lifetime experience using macs and it was way more disorienting than i expected. anyone have tips for the transition from windows?

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. RyanPm40

Mainly, get used to using the CMD key to do the kind of stuff the Ctrl key does in Windows lol. I don't know why Apple decided to do that while still offering a Ctrl key.

There is a learning curve, but within a few days to a week, it became a lot easier and imo better than Windows. Wish I could use a Mac at my job, stuck using Windows 10 VMs for my development.

Also, if you miss being able to snap windows to the sides of your screen by dragging like Windows, I use an app called Better Touch Tool that does it and allows you to setup all sorts of shortcuts

EddieDS and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  20. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

I use the magnets app for that.

honestly I’d read up on some of the gestures, other than that, it’s real intuitive and you’ll get used to it fast.

I bought a MacBook Pro for personal use last summer and I only use it a handful of hours a week, but I’m fully used to it and really do not enjoy using my work windows machine anymore lol.

EddieDS and RyanPm40 like this.
  21. EddieDS

Regular Supporter

thanks! seems crazy to me that window snapping isn't a built in feature. I'll definitely have to check out those apps

22. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Just bought a “complete iOS 13” course that has tutorial on the new SwiftUI. Wanted to start doing some iOS programming when I bought my MacBook last summer, but wanted to wait for SwiftUI since there was no reason to learn the old method.

So now I’ve got a new quarantine hobby.

RyanPm40 and zigbigwig like this.
  23. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I still haven’t used SwiftUI. I might check it out but honestly I don’t think I’ll use it for work so idk.

24. RyanPm40

I love how I've inserted character names from my favorite shows into our automated test data and now I can see people copy and pasting that stuff into their own junit tests lmao.

So many Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Always Sunny, Parks and Rec, and Community references in our code

25. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

What course did you get?

Dirty Sanchez likes this.