Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Programming • Page 19

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Mar 5, 2016.

1. drewinseries

Drew

This is all great. Thanks for taking the time. Think I may try to recreate the genome alignment tool I use in my lab. Tons of data to test with.

2. drewinseries

Drew

Do any of you host your own site? A colleague of mine said he recommends it for bioinformaticians. Curious as to what hosts you use, etc.

3. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

I used to use Homegrown Website Hosting | Fast, Reliable Web Hosting, their prices are reasonable and they offer pretty much everything that I needed.

Now I mostly throw stuff up on AWS instances, but the setup overhead there is high. Mostly I just use it to practice doing system admin type stuff, cause my job requires it but only very infrequently and I like to keep up to date with it. It's a good learning exercise but not quick if you're unfamiliar with it.

Dirty Sanchez and drewinseries like this.
  4. ryan88

RyanPm40 likes this.
  5. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Nice! I've also found that you can download a super useful json formatter plugin for Notepad++ if anyone uses it, makes things Soo much easier. I have an XML formatter plugin too.

6. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Anyone in here particularly good at web scraping using Python/BeautifulSoup? I'm trying to teach myself how to do it and would love help if/when I run into things I can't figure out.

7. danielalee12

Regular

I did a lot of BS4 stuff for my job last year. Had to scrape some js rendered data too with selenium as well. Feel free to PM me if you run into any problems.

8. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

Haven't used beautiful soup, but was a big fan of scrapy when doing a project a few years back.

9. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Thank you. I've got some of what I need working but it screws up when I try to loop through multiple pages. I'm going to give it one more try myself and if I can't figure it out I'll PM you.

I haven't looked into scrapy. When I got started recently I saw people talking about BS so that's what I started using.

10. RyanPm40

So I may be writing a website for the salon my girlfriend is working at. Does anyone have suggestions in making a website that a non-technical person can make updates to, so I don't need to go in any time they change their pricing and employees? I have HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript knowledge with experience in Angular 4 and Aurelia frameworks, but maybe something like WordPress would be best option for user editing.. or maybe a simple text file that can be automatically parsed

Also I'm not sure of some good/cheap hosting? My knowledge is limited to me owning a domain on 1and1.com like a decade ago heh

11. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Honesty your best bet is to just use something like Squarespace or Wix. I think they try and make everything non geek friendly so they feel like they could make updates if they wanted

RyanPm40 and mercury like this.
  12. noxee

Regular Prestigious

I'd agree with Squarespace or Wix. I've used Wix in the past and shown some non-technically people how to use it. I would highly recommend not rolling your own or running too custom of a solution, you become free support and it can be quite taxing.

Wix has a $10 US/month plan that would probably be a good start and you can hook up a custom domain to it.

RyanPm40 and mercury like this.
  13. RyanPm40

Thanks a lot guys! Wix sounds familiar but I don't think I've ever looked into it; never heard of Squarespace. I'll have to give those a shot.

@noxee Very good point about not running too custom of a solution. I'd like to be able to touch as little as possible once it's up and running, especially if something happens in my personal life where I can no longer help.

What would you guys typically charge for something like this? It's a small business- I can't imagine more than a couple pages, just hours, prices, contact info, photos and employees really. I almost feel like I'm "cheating" and shouldn't ask for much when it's something I'm not coding from scratch :P

14. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I’ll second the wix recommendation. My wife uses it for her resume/portfolio site. She also helped a couple of friends create something similar and gave a class to undergrads about it.

It’s not that she’s not tech savvy it’s just she’s not interested by most of it and she didn’t have to many issues but doing it.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. noxee

Regular Prestigious

@RyanPm40 I'm terrible at coming up with quotes for jobs like these but I'd probably go for a few hundred or more, while it might feel like cheating there is some work involved and you'll most likely need to help train them on how to use it. If you feel really guilt you can say you'll give them X amount of your time in support.

Also I used to charge around $30 an hour to set up Shopify stores so maybe that can act as a guide.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. RyanPm40

Jeeze, is it just me, or is it a nightmare getting Java devs to care about proper HTML5 and CSS3? It's my favorite thing to work on, but all these devs who focus mainly on software just don't seem to care in our web app. They'll just do anything that *looks* okay to them, even if it isn't the best, recommended way of doing things, and complain that web frameworks are horrible because they don't want to take the time to learn it.

I guess I just don't understand what people are complaining so much about in regards to JS, HTML and CSS. Honestly, it's a heck of a lot easier than actual software development if you just take the time to learn it.

17. danielalee12

Regular

It's not that easy having all of those technologies in your head (especially when the js ecosystem is changing literally every year), but at the same timing having to pay hard attention to optimizing the BE code to make it maintainable, faster, etc. I'm totally in favor of specialization, but that's a personal opinion i guess.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  18. RyanPm40 Apr 3, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 3, 2018)
    RyanPm40

Oh I'm totally in favor of specialization as well. Unfortunately that doesn't always scale well in companies, everyone does front and backend on my team. I'd much rather do all front end work lol

I guess I feel that if I'm expected to follow best practices of Java for my backend development, people should at least know HTML5 and CSS3 best practices- those, at the very least, won't really be changing much in the immediate future, and aren't really difficult to grasp IMHO. It makes my eyes bleed seeing people not properly align title text next to a logo image, or having an image's width be stretched on flex layouts, ignoring the image's aspect ratio, for example lol.

19. SilverScreen

Nihil Nihil

I work in a large company on a large project and I'm almost exclusively on backend Java development. I haven't worked with HTML5 or CSS3 in about 4 years, and even then it was just briefly.

I feel like I really should know HTML5 and CSS3 best practices. But the likelihood of me getting the opportunity to apply them in practice seems very unlikely at the moment, unless I leave my current company.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  20. stars143

Trusted

zigbigwig and RyanPm40 like this.
  21. stars143

Trusted

Toner, RyanPm40 and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  22. paperlung

23. stars143

Trusted

24. paperlung

i work for an ecommerce company, and we are halfway into azure, so everything was in that region due to closeness to our other host. bad day lol

RyanPm40 likes this.
  25. If anyone is looking for a new gig, my fintech company is a big end of year hiring push for mid to senior level software engineers. There are positions opened in both RI and PA (just outside Philly), and very likely they'll hire some as fully remote as well.

RI Software Engineer
    PA Software Engineer
    PA - Salesforce focused software engineer

I've only been with the company since May, but I've been impressed with the culture and growth. Previously I had purposely stayed away from larger organizations, believing that smaller agencies would lead to a better quality of life. To this point they've proved that theory of mine wrong.

If you plan on applying shoot me a PM so I can give you my name for a referral.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.