Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Programming • Page 17

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Dirty Sanchez, Mar 5, 2016.

1. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

phew. notifications is basically the last thing we needed to have a beta version of the app ready.

2. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Approved for sale a day before launch again. Same thing happened with our soft launch. Good omen? Bad omen? Shear luck?

3. drewinseries

Drew

Anybody who uses unix/linux familiar with the rsync command? Specifically, a way to have the log file only show the start and end times of the entire copy. I am copying a massive folder with subdirectories that takes around 52 minutes with rsync to copy. With the standard log file I get about 10,000 entries. I just want to see when the command starts, and finishes.

4. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I'm not familiar with rsync specifically, but couldn't you just head the first line and tail the last line into a text file (that is.. if the logs have times on each line)?

It isn't specific to your issue, but from a quick search, I found this example of performing a head and tail with rsync: Reuse rsync --dry-run output

drewinseries likes this.
  5. drewinseries

Drew

Yeah, it does have an entry on each line. This sounds promising. I'll try it when I get back into my office on Tuesday.

Been having a bitch of a time with rsync lately. Copying over massive folders that have tones of files and directories and sub directories and sub-sub directories in them. Finally found using the cat command with the --relative option gives rsync what it needs to copy only certain folders at a time. (We can't handle everything at once)

RyanPm40 likes this.
  6. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

What are your guys' thoughts on the coding boot camps?

7. drewinseries

Drew

I've never taken one, but I got a lot of experience following along youtube videos just messing around in different IDE environments. The New Boston is one of my favorites, real easy to follow. Granted I also took a program at my school for it which certainly elevated my experience. But starting simply on youtube, maybe having a reference book, to me, seems like a similar way to learn without spending a ton of money.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  8. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I just started doing stuff on code academy last night. I just wasn't sure if having some formalized training is needed.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. drewinseries

Drew

It's not needed. But sometimes I feel like you don't get the full skills needed from those resources. All my interviews had coding tests in some form that I needed to pass. And I'm also not a full developer, I'm a bioinformatician, so I imagine Software Dev/Engineer positions will have more rigorous interviews.

For example, I had to speak about recursion, and certain data structures. I had to write out in pseudo code a sorting algorithm (my choice), then I had to write out the actual code for it (language of my choice). I had to do FizzBuzz. I had to debug some unix output where files weren't being read (because they had "/" in their names, and were being considered paths).

10. RyanPm40

I've been checking out Codeschool through Pluralsight and I love it. It's like a more in-depth classroom style combined with code academy's guided coding. Super useful.

I personally find Code Academy to be too simple, but it's great for basic syntax. I still highly recommend it to any beginner.

I also attended a 2-week java bootcamp through my work, and I found it to be very useful. The guy was a lot better at using real life examples and giving a fuller understanding of certain concepts that my socially awkward CS college professors couldn't teach.

drewinseries likes this.
  11. drewinseries

Drew

This is VERY true.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  12. RyanPm40

For reaal. It drove me nuts. If I asked a question to help understand something the professor taught, they'd pretty much just repeat what they already said. They were incapable of breaking things down to explain them, or working with other people's learning styles. I had a way better time with my professor in my web development courses, thankfully!

13. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Haha. That reminds me of my math professor in college. I was always good at it in HS just never my favorite thing. I would ask questions because I wouldn't understand and they would just repeat it and not answer my question. Sometimes really smart people don't understand how to teach a subject because it all came so easy to them.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  14. drewinseries

Drew

Are you from/go to school in New England area? Or am I remembering that wrong. I did CS at UMass Boston.

15. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

16. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

My only issue with coding bootcamps is when they overstate what you'll get out of them and advertise job placement rates for positions that you're extremely unlikely to get with only three months of coding experience. That part of it seems kind of scammy, but if you're going into it with the idea of trying to learn and not "I'll be a full-stack web developer with a crazy salary in three months" or whatever they seem like a great idea. I've been thinking about looking into teaching at some of the ones in NYC.

17. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I've basically learned to not pay attention to the job salary part because those numbers are probably false or extremely skewed.

18. drewinseries

Drew

I've found Glassdoor is good for salaries and interview questions related to certain jobs. But yeah, you won't be getting a high salary on just a boot camp.

19. mercury

RyanPm40 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  20. drewinseries

Drew

That's completely on the company for...

1) Letting a Jr. Dev have access to do that
    2) Having a script that has the ability to do that
    3) Not having backups

mercury and RyanPm40 like this.
  21. RyanPm40

22. mercury

definitely true, but I try real hard not to think about it!

my favorite of the comments were the ones along the lines of "if your system can be broken by a first-day junior dev's accident, that developer is the least of your problems"

RyanPm40 likes this.
  23. drewinseries

Drew

I have been working on a chip-seq (ChIP-sequencing - Wikipedia) pipeline for a few weeks now and it's finally starting to work.

Y'all ever stop and just be like, shit, what I do is pretty damn rad.

24. drewinseries

Drew

Because I do.

RyanPm40 and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  25. drewinseries

Drew

Anyone have experience parsing csv files in Python? I've mainly used bash for this.

I need to extract a value in a csv file and save it as another variable. The value will be different every time, it's a generated ID number. The value a row above it, however, will always be the same, as will the column it's in (first one).

As of now, I made a dummy script that just looks for the value that remains the same. I have this so far:
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    import csv

inFile = csv.reader(open('Path/to/file','r'))

findValue = "UNDERHERE"

for row in inFile:
    if row[0] in findValue:
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I want to save the value below UNDERHERE
    the csv file is something like this

header1,header2,
    UNDERHERE,OTHERSTUFF,
    WANTTHIS,NOTTHIS,

If you know what I mean...

I'm a Bioinformatician, not a Software Developer, so the code I write is mainly just for me to make my data analysis easier, so I don't need a super clean, though that is nice solution/advice.

Thanks ya'll.

EDIT: When writing the post, it had the right spaces in the code, I know what they are meant to be for python, but submitting messed with the formatting, FYI.