Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pro-Tips

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by KimmyGibbler, May 17, 2016.

1. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

A thread to offer up helpful tips and tricks to the challenges of everyday life.

My wife and I just bought a house farther north from the city where we both work which is going to make our commutes roughly 70 - 90 minutes give or take both ways. A co-worker who lives in that area suggesting changing clothes before your commute home, especially during the summer.

So every day before he gets in his car he puts on a t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. I plan on doing that as soon as I start that commute.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  2. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Holy shit. So you're talking almost three hours of driving every day?

3. KimmyGibbler

In the morning it should be better, maybe 50-60 minutes in the morning. 90 minutes is a worst-case-scenario. 2 hours a day minimum.

Fucking Atlanta traffic!

4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

My gf and I are debating moving about 70-90 minutes from work. I'm not so sure... Would be nice to be in that area, and I wouldn't really mind the drive, but the wear and tear on your car.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  5. KimmyGibbler

When we were looking we made the decision to not let our current jobs dictate where we move. We are gonna probably change jobs multiple jobs before we grow out of this house.

6. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Y'all are troopers. Even a 30 mile commute sounds like madness to me, even if I do get to live in the city. If our transit system out here was better it would help but that could take another decade.

7. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

My daughter's mom chose to live an hour away from me. Sucks.

8. muttley

What's the consensus on a 14 mile one-way bicycle commute? Absurd, right?

Apartments are cheaper in the area but I don't like the idea of driving 30+ miles a day and not having the option to take a bike when the weather is cooler.

9. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I have no idea how one can bike that far. Like I mean bike paths here only go through the city. You can't bike down the highway

Garrett L. likes this.
  10. muttley

It definitely seems too far. The area that actually has bike lanes is at least an extra $100 a month for rent, however the prospective commute is cut down to 7 miles one-way, with bike lanes, which I'd say is totally doable. Not sure if it's worth that extra hundred bucks. When you take into account the extra gas money, though, it seems like it's about the same in the long run.

11. johnnyutes

Vaya con Dios Supporter

Not to mention the additional benefits of exercise - both mentally and physically - and less stress from terrible drivers!

muttley likes this.
  12. muttley

All of it sounds great. Hopefully someday soon I'm able to give it a shot.

johnnyutes likes this.
  13. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

When I used to bike to work I always loved it on the way there, but then regretted it on the way home. But 14 miles... All I can say is I hope your work has showers.