Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Prince Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 6, 2016.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Since the streaming deal currently only includes the Warner albums (which is pretty much all of his most well-known stuff anyway), I'm gonna focus on his classic era right now. It looks like all his post-Warner stuff will be streaming soon though, they just signed a distribution deal for it plus music from his vault last week.

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Honestly, the majority of his best albums were the Warner stuff. He had some gems after, no doubt, but you have the bulk of his genius there.

beachdude42 likes this.
  3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah that's what I figured haha, it's the large majority of his "classic" albums. Really stoked to dig in, the albums I'm planning to listen to first (in a few cases I've heard them before) are: Dirty Mind, 1999, Purple Rain, Parade, Sign O' the Times, Lovesexy, and the Love Symbol Album.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  4. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

I've been working my way through his discography chronologically over the past year or so. I'm taking it slow - I'm only on 1999 right now - but it's been really enjoyable and rewarding.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  5. Oh my gosh yesssss

beachdude42 and cshadows2887 like this.
  6. Horrorca

Trusted

Sign O the Times is the best album ever

we need remastered vinyl reissues

7. cshadows2887

Really glad to see The Time at the Prince tribute. For those who don't know, just about everything except Morris's lead vocals on those early Time records was Prince.

8. Horrorca

Trusted

dude played like 10 instruments and killed it on every single one of them

also, I wish he had recorded a full album with Miles Davis - that would have been the most incredible collabo in the history of music

9. cshadows2887

They have so much chemistry here. Prince literally leading the band like a conductor for Miles.

NationalPhenomenon likes this.
  10. Here to make the case for "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" being his most underappreciated song

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  11. cshadows2887

It was a big hit and on all his compilations...and yet I still agree.

12. Yeah but he's an artist who has myriad "big hits" and that one is a real shining star in my book. But it tends to get outshone by others in popular perception it seems.

13. Most under-appreciated of his hit/well-known songs I guess. We could dig up more obscure album cuts worthy of praise, but my point is that that's one of my favorite of his big 80s hits and I seem to be mostly alone in that regard

14. cshadows2887

Wait I agreed though... haha

15. I'm talking to myself mostly haha, time for bed

16. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Thank you! That song rips so much.

17. cshadows2887

That song has some of his best guitar playing. As does most of The Time's first record

18. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I think you've confused him with Jamie Starr ;-)

19. cshadows2887

It is crazy to me how many people don't realize how much of The Family and The Time and Sheila E records were just him solo.

20. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

The Time's Wiki is bananas haha.

EDIT: Also this

21. cshadows2887

I LOVE that Lewis quote.

And honestly sometime I'm surprised Prince even let Morris sing lead. Haha

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  22. cshadows2887

I know he gets credit as a musical genius, but I'm not sure he gets enough credit as a writer. He picked his spots lyrically. Some were just gleeful and shocking. Others were simple dance songs. But when he wanted to be a storyteller, he could really be incredible. Just the detail and nuance in "Raspberry Beret" stands up with the greatest.

NationalPhenomenon likes this.
  23. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

One year anniversary. Will be listening all day.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  24. cshadows2887

Listen to a B-side or a deep-cut album in his memory today. Appreciate the depth of his accomplishments.

Aregala likes this.
  25. cshadows2887