Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Prince Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

If I remember correctly it's implied it's about Apollonia? It's been a few years since I've seen it.

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

He's basically calling Apollonia a sex fiend in front of a club full of people. He's looking right at her as he sings it

3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Ah, I didn't pick up on that at all

4. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Listened to 1999 this morning and now onto Around The World In A Day. 1999 was amazing and probably the most sexual I've heard him thus far on my journey through the discography.

5. cshadows2887

More than Dirty Mind? I feel like "Sister" and "Head" alone put that one ahead. Haha

TheWater(s) likes this.
  6. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Yeah you're probably right. I guess I just noticed this more because there's a ton of people walking through my office this morning haha

7. cshadows2887

Haha yeah "I sincerely want to fuck the taste out of your mouth" must get some interesting looks in the workplace.

TheWater(s) likes this.
  8. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

"News of his death broke just after noon on Thursday, less than 12 hours before the end of this week’s chart period. So the Purple One shot to #1 and #2 (plus #6, #31, #61, #95, #147, and #160) on less than half a day’s worth of sales."

Prince Lands #1 And #2 Albums In Less Than Half A Day

9. cshadows2887

Even if you're only a Prince beginner, I honestly can't recommend The B-Sides disc (along with "Nothing Compares 2 U", "Pink Cashmere", "Pope" and "Peach" mingled in with The Hits) enough. I feel like every song on it could have been a hit if he had decided to put them out.

10. George

Trusted Prestigious

Need to step it up this week, been a busy start, and haven't managed to hear anything new of Prince. I already had and enjoyed the big three in the Crash Course, and of those three I definitely prefer Dirty Mind. I think I'm much more of a fan when he's concise and funky, rather than being slightly longer and sprawling. However, I haven't heard enough to be able to state that for sure!

11. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Prince's solo starts at 3:25. Awesome stuff.

12. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

I was coming in here to mention this song. Such a rad way to end that album. It's almost as if he's like "Alright world, time to quit fucking around. I am fully capable of melting faces."

13. cshadows2887

Since he died, I've relisted to Purple Rain like 4 times, and given spins to Around the World in a Day, HitnRun Phase One (great workout music), 1999 and now Parade. Probably just gonna run roughshod through the whole catalog again.

14. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

A coworker of mine (a big collector) gave me "everything Prince has released" a year ago or so. I haven't checked that claim, but it's a ton of music nonetheless. Since his death, I've been working through it chronologically. I'm up to Dirty Mind now, which is actually the first Prince album I heard all the way through. I was still surprised at how solid the albums before it were. Certainly not as killer as Dirty Mind but still quite good....

15. cshadows2887

Decided to branch out into his stable of bands, since he did everything but the vocals on most of them (and even then, made them meticulously stick to his demo guide vocals). The Family is a fucking tremendous record. I love that he just gave away his most pop tunes so he could work on more ambitious shit. But good god, do I love this.

Somehow, it's never been released on CD or apparently digitally either. Had to listen on youtube. Desperately want to find a good download.

16. cshadows2887

Annnnnnnd The Time is tremendous, too. Fuck, Prince could have been the biggest pure pop star in the world if it had interested him.

17. cshadows2887

Real talk, Sheila E. is so good that I kinda feel guilty posting about The Glamorous Life in here instead of just making a thread for her. The record is dripping with Prince touches, but unlike the other two, it sounds like a distinct artist Prince is collaborating heavily with, rather than just a Prince record with another singer. Super impressed.

18. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Sign O' The Times is incredible. Only one record through this entire journey I've disliked which is saying a lot

19. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

ive never delved into sheila e or any of his many proteges/associates honestly, might have to work on that. also not as familiar with post 80s stuff as i should be. i know come has a lot a advocates ive seen this week

20. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

I'm not a super huge fan when he goes strictly falsetto (mostly his super early stuff), but holy cow is his scream/yell absolutely incredible (ex: The Beautiful Ones)

I love the fact that some of his "throwaways" became hits for other artists. Dude was totally on a different level when it came to writing a song.

21. cshadows2887

He really was. Dude just invented bands out of thin air so he could keep making pop songs without huge expectations.

The "The Beautiful Ones" is prob the best example but that scream is all over his early and peak stuff

Snewt likes this.
  22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah the amount of songs of his that became hits for other people is insane

Chaka Khan- I Feel For You
    The Bangles- Manic Monday
    Sinead O'Connor- Nothing Compares 2 U
    Cyndi Lauper- When You Were Mine
    Alicia Keys- How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore

Snewt and cshadows2887 like this.
  23. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

There's still so much of his material that I haven't heard. I have Prince, Dirty Mind, and Around the World In a Day ready for my flight tomorrow.

24. cshadows2887

I love how deliberate a masterpiece Purple Rain was. It wasn't an accident that it made him one of the biggest stars of all time. He just decided to. Opening with that organ chord and "Dearly beloved". He knew it would be iconic. And ended with his biggest epic. And he shows off his guitar playing with these little tossed off solos before he ever gets to the final showstopper. He reinvented pop with "When Doves Cry". Showed off his synth pop greatness on "I Would Die for You". Threw in some psychedelic pop for "Take Me with You". Rocked out on "Let's Go Crazy". And threw in more examples of his remarkable range and earth-shattering scream than on any other record.

Every moment of the album is a deliberate move to make you say "Oh my god...he can do anything"

And it worked

25. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Prince: A Eulogy