Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Prince Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 6, 2016.

1. cshadows2887 Mar 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 23, 2016)
    cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

The Purple One. A true genius with an unparalleled run of classic albums and singles. Also an undeniable weirdo.

[​IMG]

Join the cult.

Prince
    I don’t even know what to say about Prince. The Purple One. His Royal Badness. He was, quite simply, one of the most exceptional artists ever to grace the Earth. There are musicians and songwriters and performers. But then there’s Beethoven and Gershwin and Miles and Louis and Dylan…and Prince Rogers Nelson. At his peak, he truly could have done anything. His boundless creativity encompassed 27 instruments, utterly ignored genre barriers, gleefully flaunted sexual and gender mores, and radically reinvented pop music along the way. He could write a song that was simultaneously luridly raunchy and sweetly devoted. He could make you want to fuck and think about God at the same time. He was everything.

Recommended Listen:
    Purple Rain

Crash Course:
    1. Purple Rain
    2. Sign O the Times
    3. Dirty Mind

Compilation Replacement:
    The Hits/B-Sides

Signature Songs:
    1. “I Wanna Be Your Lover”
    2. “When You Were Mine”
    3. “Little Red Corvette”
    4. “Purple Rain”
    5. “Kiss”

Personal Note:
    I imagine that a lot more people have been through the crash course than on the average week, so these notes might be a little more significant than usual. He has a lot of options to choose from:

- Prince is probably his most underrated, with him perfecting the frizzy funk that was the rage in the late 70s and early 80s.

- Around the World in a Day was a deliberate attempt to shake off the bandwagoners of Purple Rain with an embrace of psychedelic sounds that’s pretty excellent.

- Parade is probably the one to go to if you’re dying for more of the Purple Rain-type innovation. The songs are more sketches, but there’s a lot of genre-bending greatness and one of his Top 3 closing tracks (which is saying something).

- ArtOfficialAge is probably his best album post-Sign as far as I’m concerned. Free-wheeling and playful and ambitious and off-kilter in the way he was at his peak.

- 3121 is the peak of his “real instrument” phase that ran for most of the 2000s.

- The Love Symbol Album and Diamonds and Pearls are pretty strong samples of his more hip-hop infused era. Some goofy or embarrassing moments, but some HEAVY grooves.

- The Gold Experience is probably his most focused of the 90s. Some really wonderful stuff on there.

elphshelf and NationalPhenomenon like this.
  2. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

I am woefully uninitiated. Only heard Purple Rain and some Best Ofs, at least enough to know them pretty well. Help me Chris

3. cshadows2887

Purple Rain, Sign "O" The Times and Dirty Mind are his trinity in my mind, though others might replace one with 1999. Dirty Mind is short, lewd, brilliant, lean and mean. Sign is sprawling and varied and staggering. Whichever of those sounds more appealing, go that way.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. Wharf Rat

Sounds good. Will report back.

5. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

how is this even possible

cshadows2887 likes this.
  6. Wharf Rat

7. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I hadn't listened to any of his albums til last year, it's definitely possible!

8. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

9. cshadows2887

Most underrated album: Prince.

Most people think his classic period starts with Dirty Mind, but on the s/t he absolutely perfected the kinds of frizzy funk other artists were doing, so he could then go on and reinvent genres.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  10. cshadows2887

I think I just got my 30th Prince record

11. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

And you can really start going down the rabbit hole with all of the musicians (namely anyone that's ever been involved with him in any capacity). Morris Day obviously being the best (my opinion) and most well known.

12. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

There's a rumor going around that he passed away this morning.

beachdude42 likes this.
  13. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

14. JM95

Trusted

Crap

15. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

No way

16. cshadows2887

Refuse to believe it until it's someone other than TMZ. It just can't be.

17. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

18. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

All other news sources are citing TMZ at this point, I don't want to believe it yet

19. JM95

Trusted

His publicist has confirmed it.

20. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Speechless.

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Damn

22. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Just completely lost. Gutted.

23. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Unbelievably sad news, 2016 has been a doozy for public figure loss...

24. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Nah. No. He can't. He can't die. Fuck.

25. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Heartbreaking news, I'm in shock. RIP.