Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Prince Tops Billboard Charts (Week Ending April 21st)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Prince’s albums The Very Best of Prince and Purple Rain are the top two albums on the Billboard 200 this week.

The Very Best of Prince earned 179,000 equivalent album units in the week ending April 21 (up 10,872 percent compared to the previous week). Of that sum, 100,000 were in traditional album sales (up 11,232 percent). As for Purple Rain, it shifted 69,000 units (63,000 in pure album sales; up 3,101 percent).

Prince died on April 21, the final day of the latest tracking week for the new chart, meaning that fans rushed to purchase his music in the roughly half-day left in the tracking week (after the news broke around 10 a.m. PT), enough to send him to Nos. 1 and 2. We will see continued impact from the icon’s passing on the following week’s chart, dated May 14 (reflecting activity in the week ending April 28).

2. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Worth mentioning Sturgill Simpson was number 3 behind both Prince albums. He has to be disappointed by almost charting as a billboard number 1, but perspective with Prince should make it alright.

3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Damn, a day and a half did that? That's amazing.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

He's still got a number 1 country record without any airplay. I think he'll be okay.

5. Micah511

Oh most definitely. Just saying it would've been cool for him.

Does he really not get any AirPlay? I don't ever listen to the radio around here (Alabama) due to the stations being terrible, but for him to do this well I figured he had to have push from somewhere.

6. Craig Manning

I think "Brace for Impact" has gotten a little bit of airplay on rock radio, but next to nothing on country radio. This has happened a few times recently, where specifically country and Americana artists have sold really well without having radio hits. Artists like Sturgill, Chris Stapleton, Jason Isbell, and Aaron Watson have all sold very well and topped the country album charts without having hits. It's a growing divide between what country radio wants to push and what listeners actually want from the genre. I think you're going to see more and more of these artists in the coming months and years.

7. Micah511

Man I hope so. I thought I didn't like country, then I heard Stapleton, searched out more like him which lead me to Sturgill and Isbell (You could argue for Isbell not being country, but I think if you like the others you like him).

I've never listened to Aaron Watson, but I'll check him out. I hope more people see how well artists like those are doing and we start to see bro country go away.

8. jorbjorb

7 rings

I'm curious who gets his estate.

9. Craig Manning

I'd say Isbell's country, just from looking at his heavily storytelling style of songwriting and his influences. He's got elements of rock in his sound, but so do Stapleton and Sturgill. I'd actually probably say Something More Than Free is more of a traditional country record than A Sailor's Guide to Earth, but I think both fit into the category.

I'm actually not that big of a fan of Watson, but he had a number one album on the country charts and he's an unsigned artist, so that's pretty cool. If you want to check out other artists like Isbell, Stapleton, and Sturgill, check out the country thread in the music forum. We talk about a ton of artists and I made a big list in the OP about modern country artists I recommend.

The Official Country Music Thread • forum.chorus.fm