Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Power Rangers (Series) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Jul 7, 2017.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

as requested by @michael_gatto this thread is dedicated to the longrunning show about kids in spandex fighting monsters. of course theres more to it than that and if youre only familiar with MMPR then youve got a lot of catching up to do.

my favorite series will always be In Space but RPM, Time Force, SPD, and Jungle Fury rank high for me as well. Megaforce and Super Megaforce are abysmal and im still mad about those shows.

this thread can also be about super sentai/other toei based properties as well since why not.

paging Dr @Greg

2. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

PR started at the perfect time for me, I was starting 1st grade. Perfect timing.

I watched up through around Time Force and got "too old" haha years later I went back and rewatched the first few seasons and decided to keep going and caught up, which was during RPM. By the time I caught up RPM was over and PR was potentially dead.

My favs are RPM, Time Force, and In Space.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  3. michael_gatto

Trusted

I remember watching up to Dino Thunder on tv, even though I was definitely too old to be still following the series. Eventually went back and watched the rest afterwards. There aren't many seasons I genuinely dislike...other than MF/SMF.

Favorites are definitely RPM, Time Force, In Space and I'm actually super fond of Dino Charge.

Also love the love for Jungle Fury, those sunglasses for morphers were so goofy, I love it.

Raku and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  4. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

This has always been some of Bryan Cranston's best work.

5. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I've been watching Super Dino Charge with my daughter, and slowly watching Gokaiger on my own. Both are great so far

6. michael_gatto

Trusted

I definitely need to watch more Sentai, so far I've only seen the first few episodes of Kyuranger and most of Zyuranger.

And yeah I don't know what it is, but I love both Dino Charge seasons. Love the characters, the plot is better than I was expecting and it's definitely the best of the 3 "neo-Saban" seasons.

7. CoffeeEyes17

This hasn’t been bumped in a while so here I am.

The comic series is incredible and the newest issue Necessary Evil might be the best thing to ever happen to the franchise. It’s a total game changer and I highly recommend any fans to check them out.

I’m really really glad that American writers are now getting more and more comfortable with creating their own ranger teams. One of the many issues with Super Megaforce was slapping generic names on Sentai only teams without giving them any sort of backstory or using them to expand the mythology, instead it was just “new powers enjoy!”. Boom Studios comics has created several new teams and they’ve all been great with their own unique designs and stories.

8. michael_gatto

Trusted

I definitely have a lot of catching up to do with the comic series, but everything I've read has been fantastic. I've been hearing a lot of great thing about Necessary Evil, so now I'm even more anxious to catch up!

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  9. CoffeeEyes17

Ya NE in particular had me grinning like an idiot through out. I kept thinking “THIS is what I’ve always wanted out of PR”. It’s almost like something out of the Avatar TLA/LOK or TMNT playbook where it certainly has an appeal for kids but it also very much rewards older or more mature fans who know all of the backstories, the mythology, and gives them the means to connect the dots.

10. michael_gatto

Trusted

That has me even more excited to go pick it up! I finally found some decent comic book shops after living in Austin for a year now so I'm definitely going to be picking up a bunch of these this weekend to catch up.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  11. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I get mad nostalgia at Ninja Storm transformation sequences and the Zeo theme song. I’ve heard great things about RPM but haven’t delved in yet.

michael_gatto and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  12. CoffeeEyes17

RPM is like a kid friendly Mad Max, it’s also full of lots of meta jokes and cute references to PR fandom as well as Super Sentai. It’s probably my 3rd favorite series

ChaseTx and michael_gatto like this.
  13. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

Are there seasons I should watch before to fully pick up references?

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  14. michael_gatto

Trusted

RPM is a fantastic must watch season. I feel like other must watch seasons: Time Force, SPD, and Dino Thunder. But I've found something enjoyable about each season... except for Operation Overdrive.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  15. CoffeeEyes17

Not necessarily. It’s more just tongue in cheek references to how absurd Toku shows can be (for example I won’t spoil anything but there’s a joke in a early episode about why giant explosions appear behind rangers when they morph and why that’s necessary, to which the “mentor” gives an in universe explanation for. Also the mentor gives agitated about the suits being referred to as “spandex”)

Other than that it’s just tenuous headcanon/speculation stuff, like I’ve seen some say that the RPM powers are based off of the Turbo Rangers powers but there’s rly no evidence for that other than vehicle connections

16. CoffeeEyes17

Overdrive is legitimately one of the most frustrating things I’ve ever had to watch. Boukenger deserved a better adaptation and Once A Ranger is one of the worst “fan service” episodes of a show I’ve ever seen

michael_gatto likes this.
  17. Greg

Time Force, In Space, and RPM are the best seasons, at least through Super Megaforce. I fell behind after that so the last few I can’t speak to.

Those three are the best of the best in my eyes. I enjoyed parts of all the other ones. But the most worthy runner ups for me are: SPD, Ninja Storm, Jungle Fury, and Dino Thunder

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  18. Greg

I liked Once A Ranger, mostly because they brought back Adam who is one of the most underrated OG rangers.

Raku and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  19. CoffeeEyes17

Jungle Fury is so underrated. Great story, good characters, cool suit designs, maybe my favorite villain designs, it’s great. I love that all of the monsters are based on animals and that they’re created by upgrading the footsoldiers into more powerful forms and then into monsters. The Spirit Rangers were also a great idea as far as American exclusive rangers go, shame budget reasons kept them from being included more

20. CoffeeEyes17

I love Adam a lot and I even liked his new morphing sequence but there were some weird choices in that episode. Why is Alpha stuck in some crate in a warehouse in Angel Grove? If Thrax fought the Sentinel Knight thousands of years ago how could he be Rita and Zedds son? Now ofc it’s a kids show but even message being sent in that episode is bothersome, the rangers lose their powers therefore they’re not going to keep helping. They even start the episode by saying things like “I can’t imagine how boring my life was before I became a ranger!” It just makes them come across kinda bratty.

The fight was awesome though and I’m like you in that I can find something to enjoy in most other seasons so it was nice seeing Tori, Bridge, Kira, and Zander and there are some cool ideas like all the villain factions teaming up. I like the little touch of Thrax saying “after all these years, I’m free!” Like how Rita says it in the MMPR theme song.

21. Greg

Haha I’m not saying it is good or makes sense... but Adam saves it for me. That’s all. The Operation Overdrive Rangers suuuuucked

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  22. CoffeeEyes17

Oh yeah I know I was just saying those are my main grievances with it. But Adam is great and I’m glad he came back, it was also nice seeing Rocky in the Super Ninja Steel anniversary episode since he couldn’t make it for Forever Red

Raku likes this.
  23. michael_gatto

Trusted

Gonna echo the love for Jungle Fury. Definitely one of the best seasons too, Jarrod's arc is one of my favorites and RJ is just so damn great. Also the best part about Once A Ranger is finding out that Bridge becomes the Red Ranger.

Also sad news today for anyone that's a fan of the Sentai. Sentai might be on a hiatus after Ryusoulger is done.

24. CoffeeEyes17

I was worried Sentai would do that :/ Ryusoulger seems like it’s getting mixed reception and the toys aren’t selling very well from my understanding.

25. michael_gatto

Trusted

Yeah toy sales are down sadly, and I think it maybe hurts that it's another dinosaur themed season but I've been really enjoying Ryusoulger. Bummed it might be awhile before more Sentai. Wonder what it means for the future of PR too. They still have Sentai seasons that we're skipped but still.