Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Power Rangers (Dean Israelite, March 24, 2017) Movie • Page 19

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Feb 2, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I'm back

So, I fucking LOVED this movie. It was much better than I thought it was going to be and I expected it to be decent. I love the little references to other seasons Mariner Bay, Reefside, the Zeo Crystal and i also like that they actually MENTIONED and made a big deal about the morphing grid (unlike Super-fucking-Megaforce) plus the fact that power rangers have existed before the MMPR era.

I dont think its a spoiler to say that the theme song from the 90s movie is in the movie, and the moment when it comes on is fucking PERFECT and made me tear up just a bit. Really great stuff. I had a blast with this movie, even if its super cheesy and I kind of get the whole criticism of it being very much an origin story and therefore not a ton of action.

Also @Greg did not know you were a PR fan. I need to re-watch RPM soon because that show is next level.

michael_gatto, Joe4th and ChaseTx like this.
  2. CoffeeEyes17

Are any of you Super Sentai fans by chance? Kyuranger has been a real mixed bag so far, I cant fucking stand the red sentai but the other 8 are real likable and fun. Plus the motif is just a really cool idea, mixing sentai and saint seiya

3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I want to be. The DVDs are expensive and episodes disappear from YouTube way faster than I watch shows

Raku likes this.
  4. michael_gatto

Trusted

I've been really enjoying Kyuranger so far, but I do agree Lucky is beyond annoying. Hopefully he gets better as the season progresses.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  5. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

this movie was dumb and bad. but the show was dumb and bad too. it was fun in spots, but didn't do much more for me outside of nostalgia.

6. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

As someone who was the prime age for and watched the original series as a kid (was ages 7 to 9 from 1993-1995), saw the first movie in theaters for my ninth birthday party, and had almost all the toys, I thought the movie was really good.

Then my friends and I went back and watched the first several episodes of the original series that we all loved as kids, and wow it was stupid hahaha but we sure all ate it up when we were kids.

7. Morrissey

Trusted

Is the Krispy Kreme tie-in as hilarious as it sounds?

8. CoffeeEyes17

i watch on Kissasian, it has most of the shows subbed and is a really handy site for watching sentai.
    yeah Lucky is just......ugh haha. But the other 8 are really interesting and I love the premise of the show that like, this evil empire has already conquered most of the galaxy and this ragtag band of rangers are kinda fighting back against them. Kinda reminds me a bit of Gokaiger aka The Greatest Sentai Show Ever

ChaseTx likes this.
  9. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

seeing this tonight. I'm hyped.

CoffeeEyes17 and billyboatman like this.
  10. This was fun. They managed to make me care about the characters enough to look forward to the sequel, so credit for that. The Krispy Kreme product placement was distracting. They made it a point to say "Krispy Kreme" like 10 times lol.

I really liked RJ Cyler as Billy. I liked him a lot in Me and Earl and the Dying Girl too, so I'm glad to see him getting bigger roles.

billyboatman likes this.
  11. michael_gatto

Trusted

I love the fact that it's a core team of 9 Rangers to, like right off the bat. Gokaiger was dope, it's such a shame the American counterpart we got was... lackluster.

12. CoffeeEyes17

yeah the core team of 9 is a great angle, the opposite of like, the 3 core team seasons which is cool. From what I've read there will end up being 13 rangers which is pretty cool.

yeeeeeeeah super megaforce is one of the worst seasons ive ever watched. have you watched linkaras history of power rangers? he does a really good analysis on all the seasons and he eviscerates that season.

13. michael_gatto

Trusted

I have not watched that, I'll have to look it up! But yeah Megaforce/Super Megaforce are basically trash and the "Legendary" Battle is one of the worst/most underwhelming things I've ever seen. So disappointing.

Raku and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  14. CoffeeEyes17

extremely disappointing. cant believe they even bothered. i wish theyd handled the "new" powers better, like turning the Dairanger suits into like Eltaar powers, or the Flashman suits were originally a time-traveling team or an alien team like the Aquitian rangers/kakurangers. but yeah the cast of Megaforce/Super Megaforce were really bad and Troy might be the most boring red ranger ever.

Raku and michael_gatto like this.
  15. michael_gatto

Trusted

I could not agree more on the cast, especially Troy. I think Super Megaforce being so bad is the reason I enjoy Dino Charge as much as I do because I went in with the lowest of expectations.

Raku and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  16. CoffeeEyes17

its bad when Roboknight, the literal robotic character, has better acting chops and more interesting development than your entire main team haha.

Yeah Dino Charge was really great which is funny because its sentai equivalent is kinda bad.

Raku likes this.
  17. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Saw this last night with wife and friends and we all ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.

Seriously, I don't think I stopped smiling through the whole thing and we couldn't stop gushing about it for the rest of the night. I went in saying "hey, I know it's getting back critical reception for the most part, but as a fan of the originals I'm sure I'll at least enjoy it" and left saying "critics are out of their minds, I have 0 complaints."

I loved the characters and really thought they were well-developed, the movie was well-paced and the effects were great, the humor was actually pretty hilarious (every time they said Krispy Kreme I was way more amused than I should have been), and every bit of cheese in the dialogue was so well done. I feel like they did a fantastic job of both modernizing and recapturing the charm of the original MMPR and I am beyond stoked for the next films - I will for sure be seeing them all on release if they stack up to this one.

Will now proceed to geek out over MMPR stuff for the foreseeable future and finally watch the Sentai series I've been planning to watch for so long.

18. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

It's not that I just think more of the seasons I only watched growing up. I just specifically remember that after In Space I tried to keep watching but didn't like any of it. Andros and his best friend who was the new white ranger in Space were the last two truly interesting characters for me as a kid. It was the first time they had a Red Ranger who was reluctant to be the leader because he doubted himself. After that, the suits were always ugly and them trying to be "serious" became very corn on the cob.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Zak calling Trina crazy girl repeatedly was fucked up,especially because Billy being on the spectrum was handled fairly well, and it was nice to see some representation there that would have been cool to see as a kid

the soundtrack was um something, why is the Social Distortion cover of Ring of Fire used twice? Why the sad cover of Stand By Me? Why Survivor when Rita eats a donut? Why Power by Snap and Kanye just because they have power in the title?

Hader was hilarious and Banks was legit terrifying as Rita

Joe4th likes this.
  20. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I hated the Ring Of Fire cover. I liked the Stand By Me quite a bit. Won't complain about Kanye.

billyboatman likes this.
  21. CobraKidJon

bout to watch the movie and I'm HYPED.

22. CobraKidJon

I geeked out so hard to this movie that I felt 10 again just watching it.

Joe4th likes this.
  23. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Saw this tonight. Liked it a lot. Could've used a bit more rangers, and the special cameo was pretty underwhelming.

24. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

This was insanely fun. I'm glad they reimagined the rangers and I like where this is heading. I'm looking forward to the sequels now. Me fiance and I were really surprised with how good this movie is. It's not going to win picture of the year - but it's not bad by any means.

25. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Also, this was one movie I will say that was COMPLETELY given away by the trailers. Like, every single detail of the story and battles.