Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Post Rock Thread Genre • Page 38

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by GreatBeardRecs, Apr 1, 2016.

1. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

This actually seems pretty cool of an idea

Leftandleaving likes this.
  2. firemadeflesh

Leftandleaving likes this.
  3. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This EP has a ton packed into it: Post, Progressive and Dreampop. Also, loving the vocals. The band is out of British Columbia.
    Released 1/1.

Glass Kites - II

DrawYourMind likes this.
  4. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

firemadeflesh likes this.
  5. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

I stopped getting notifications for this thread so missed this discussion! My favourites from last year:

1) Caspian - On Circles

This was undoubtedly my favourite album of the year. I played On Circles to death this year and I'm still finding new ways to love it despite listening to it 59 times in total (thanks to last.fm for that scary insight). Caspian are always a completely different beast live and I absolutely cannot wait to hear these songs live when touring eventually becomes a reality again.

2) Abby Gundersen - Sleep Comes Then I Wake

This is probably more classical than post-rock, but screw it. It certainly demonstrates a lot of post-rock characteristics and I think a lot of people in here would find something to love. Sleep Comes Then I Wake is pure bliss from start to finish. Listening to this album is almost meditative and it became part of my daily ritual while working from home to start my day with this album. When the first piano keys hit on the opening track I can almost hear and smell the coffee percolator and feel myself gradually slipping into a creative and peaceful state.

3) Coldbones - The Cataclysm

It seems fitting that in this dumpster fire of a year that one of my favourite post-rock albums was the one that serves as a score to the end of the world. The Cataclysm is an album about the end of days - split down the middle in to two acts - The Flooding of the World and The Burning of the Earth. It evokes this imagery in vivid detail with swelling and explosive sequences across the two acts. It is an absolute triumph of an album and one that pushes Coldbones to forefront of the genre.

6. Nate_Johnson Jan 9, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 9, 2021)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Some very chill, instrumental post rock from Germany.

Released 1/1.

Mekong Airlines - Gran Telescopio

Elder Lightning likes this.
  7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Progressive/Djent but with a lean towards post rock from New York. Very clean production.

For Giants - There, There

Toner, Carrow and SmashRipsaw like this.
  8. Nate_Johnson Jan 10, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 10, 2021)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

One man project from New Jersey. Combined elements of Post Rock, Ambient and orchestral. Very uplifting and motivating. Even the song titles alone make you feel empowered. VERY GOOD!

Regiments - Moving Forward

Toner and Carrow like this.
  9. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

California based band and there is a lot going on here: Shoegaze, post rock and math. All the lyrics are in Japanese so you can focus on the music (unless you understand Japanese of course!) Really fun three song single/EP.

Kyozo - EP 01

Toner likes this.
  10. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This one is a bit difficult to describe but falls under post rock with some ambient and alternative rock undertones. The band is based out of Serbia and it’s a really diverse EP.

Demetrin - Miris Mira EP

Toner likes this.
  11. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Post rock with a stoner lean from Argentina. Really good stuff. It’s a shame it’s only two tracks.

Triciclo - Abya

12. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

This is REALLY good. Instrumental Post rock/metal from Russia. If you enjoy bands like Deafheaven/Alcest but can’t get past the vocals, this could definitely be your thing.

Powder! Go Away - Jol

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

14. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Do you like your post metal served with a side of black and doom? This is some very good stuff.

The band is out of Romania

Kultika- Capricorn Wolves

RIYL Katatonia, Cult of Luna

15. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

16. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

new Mogwai album is shaping up to be something special

waking season likes this.
  17. Nate_Johnson Jan 15, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 15, 2021)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

One man project from California (Ryan Hernandez). A really interesting take on post rock with elements of Alt rock and ambient. Good stuff.

Balancing the Lion - Transient

18. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Great rec! Thanks a lot

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  19. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Atmospheric, kinda spacey, post-metal-ish. If anyone knows/remembers Majora, this sounds a bit like Majora.

coleslawed likes this.
  20. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Oh this is really good! Atmospheric post metal from Buffalo, NY.

Thought Trials - The Hiding Gene EP

21. Leftandleaving

live var ep

22. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

23. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

I'm personally not particularly into this but I want to share it just for the blurb and a half this guy wrote on his album:

waking season and johnnyferris like this.
  24. Leftandleaving

reminds me a bit of cold bones

new April rain, great Russian post rock band

proggy post rock, maybe post metal

pretty, driving post rock, similar to Caspian but more upbeat

johnnyferris likes this.
  25. Leftandleaving

Got some ambient moments, some proggy moments, some more metallic moments – pretty sure it’s all one dude too