Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Post Rock Thread Genre • Page 12

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by GreatBeardRecs, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

This new Tides of Man album is absolutely spectacular. I cannot stop playing it at the moment. Think I'm averaging 5 play throughs a day.

johnnyferris likes this.
  2. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Autumn Creatures - Funeral Garden

Proggy(-ish) and heavy and dark and quite melancholic with a lot of strings

3. White Aug 19, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 19, 2018)
    White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

dang, haven’t heard that name in a long time. think I had given up on new music.

5. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I listened to that the other day! Really only knew them from those ABR renditions they did.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

What are some of the essential post rock records that have come out in the last 3-5 years? I've been listening to the same stuff for a long time, could use some recommendations.

7. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

I think there have been quite a few modern post-rock releases that are establishing themselves as classics (65daysofstatic, Russian Circles and yndi halda), but each one of them requires a fair bit of time and attention. I think this release in particular demands your full attention if you missed it when it was released in 2015:

Caspian - Dust and Disquiet
    A beast of an album. It is stunningly beautiful at times and then absolutely crushing at others. The passing of bassist Chris Friedrich provides the fuel for one of the most moving records the post-rock scene has ever conceived. This album has been a gateway to post-rock for both my wife and friends. I place it alongside This Will Destroy You's self-titled as one of my all time favourite albums.

8. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

This Will Destroy You’s last record is also up there with D&D for me.

waking season likes this.
  9. Haruni

Regular

yea, another language is one of my favorite albums

coleslawed likes this.
  10. CochleaCocaine

Regular

So glad I checked out that Tides of Man album because it's GREAT. I checked their last.fm page a while back and wasn't into the similar artists listed so I didn't check out the album, guess they changed their sound a bit.

Mind immediately went to Dust and Disquiet and Another Language is great but I prefer all of TWDY's other full lengths. Super stoked to hear what they drop this year though.

Toner and waking season like this.
  11. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Dust and Disquiet by Caspian is an easy number one for me. It’s beautiful, crushing, heartbreaking, and calming all at once. It’s not a full length but I also love the two song EP they put out two years ago.

Some others that stand out:

Guidance by Russian Circles, Another Language by This Will Destroy You (my least favorite of theirs but still excellent), The Wilderness by Explosions in the Sky, Kveikur by Sigur Ros (if it counts as post-rock), Wild Light by 65daysofstatic, Reanimation by Lights and Motion (cinematic and nothing unique but a pleasant listen), and Bloom & Breathe by Gates (more post-rock tinged emo/post-hardcore reminiscent of early Moving Mountains).

I could go on but those are some favorites.

Edit: I need to finally check out Tides of Man

12. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Ok yeah Tides of Man is wonderful. I didn’t realize they went instrumental and never really gave them a shot because I lumped them in with bands I’m not a fan of. We Were Only Dreaming is a gorgeous song.

johnnyferris likes this.
  13. johnnyferris

I never listened to this genre outside of liking the soundtrack to Friday Night Lights without realizing it was EITS. I listened to Young And Courageous after seeing the review for it on AP net and pretty much fell in love with the genre because of it. I never even listened to Tides of Man prior to that, but I really admired the decision to go and stay instrumental and I wanted to give the album its due. So glad I did

14. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Formerly known as Bombardier. Nothing groundbreaking, but really enjoyable listen.

15. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Decided to check these guys out after Riley from Thrice posted about them. A bit different as they do have vocals but I think they kind of fit in with postrock. Either way, they’re excellent.

Haruni likes this.
  16. Night_Sky

Regular

They have a thread if you didn't know:
    Band - Holy Fawn

17. duffe

I Want To Be There

18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Way too early to announce an album imo

19. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Chinese Democracy was announced too early. This is 4 months...

20. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Four months is too long

21. dlemert

Trusted

Post-rock is one of my favorite genres, but I find it's a genre where it's really easy to sound super derivative and it's hard to find bands with a truly unique sound. I tend to lean towards enjoying the heavier end of the spectrum (Caspian, Jakob, Russian Circles, Pelican), and it's hard to get into much else recently because it all just sounds like Explosion in the Sky ripoffs to me.

That said, does anyone have any recs they wanna throw my way? For reference, one of my favorite records of all time is Jakob's Solace, which is a perfect record and pretty indicative of how I like my post-rock to sound.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  22. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Eagerly awaiting responses to this.

dlemert likes this.
  23. dlemert

Trusted

I'm answering my own question here, but I just discovered Meniscus, and they are probably the closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for (airy lead guitars, super dirty rhythm section). Why does it seem like bands from Australia/New Zealand rip the hardest?

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  24. johnnyferris

New This Will Destroy You is great. Seemed like they barely promoted its release

25. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’m really excited to check it out tonight