Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Post Rock Thread Genre

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by GreatBeardRecs, Apr 1, 2016.

1. GreatBeardRecs

Vibes Are High Supporter

As I've grown older my favorite music has become this genre

I'm always eager to learn or hear about past, present and future post rock albums/bands

Some of my favorites are The Mercury Program, Caspian, And So I Watch You From Afar, Toe and Lite

How about you?

Toner likes this.
  2. George

Trusted Prestigious

I saw Yndi Halda last night, they were absolutely breathtaking.

3. GreatBeardRecs

Vibes Are High Supporter

oh boy.

4. duffe

I Want To Be There

i put some Gregor Samsa last night, it's so good.

OotyPa likes this.
  5. Deathco_019

Drummer

Sigur Ros, Caspian, This Will Destroy You, and GY!BE are among my favorites of the genre.

Definitely looking forward to getting some new recs from this thread.

studskalny and amorningofsleep like this.
  6. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

^Bark Psychosis, Do Make Say Think, Rachel's

7. Deathco_019

Drummer

Been meaning to check out Do Make Say Think so I'll definitely give them a listen this week. Any particular album I should start with or just from the start?

8. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

History in Rust or Landlord is Dead. they have a very solid discog

Bark Psychosis - Hex is a classic album

smoledman and Deathco_019 like this.
  9. GreatBeardRecs

Vibes Are High Supporter

Cant go wrong with anything DMST but I'd go with 'Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn' myself

10. johnnyferris Apr 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2016)
    johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Caspian is my clear favorite in the genre, but I love Explosions in the Sky and This Will Destroy You. Funny how Tides of Man going instrumental (great album) was my way into the genre, but I'm here and that's what matters.

I'll check out as much as I can from this thread!

11. notiesnoroots

Love all these groups. My band recently played with Tides of Man, they are so great live! Some good ones mentioned in this thread. Others worth checking out that I enjoy:

A. Armada
    Gates (post rock w/ vocals)
    If These Trees Could Talk
    Isis
    Man Mountain
    Russian Circles
    Sigur Ros (of course)
    Totorro (math rock + post rock)

12. Deathco_019

Drummer

ISIS and Russian Circles are definitely more post-metal, bit of we're posting those recs in here too then yeah they're incredible bands.

13. notiesnoroots

Yeah, they are definitely more post-metal. I'd agree. But I figured they were worth mentioning!

Deathco_019 likes this.
  14. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Dicks out.

15. Deathco_019

Drummer

Russian Circles is one of the best bands I've ever seen and I didn't even listen to them at the time when I saw them.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  16. notiesnoroots

Wow this is so sick. Thanks for sharing!

17. White

You're mucho welcome. I'm so completely enamoured with them. Their debut comes out next month and it's legitimately one of my most anticipated albums of all time.

Here's some more:

Edit: Goddammit I'm trying to post just the raw link, but posting a Youtube link automatically embeds the video.

18. Jake Z

Regular

Any recs for bands similar to Gates? I love their emotional vocals/screams combined with that music.

19. White

OotyPa likes this.
  20. Me & My Arrow

John | Align in Time

The American Dollar is rarely mentioned, but they're one of my favorites. Their integration of piano and electronics with the standard guitar/bass/drums post-rock instrumentation is unmatched, in my opinion.

This might sound like I'm shilling for them, but I'm not: the fact that you can buy their entire discography, including 6 albums, an EP, a live EP, and ambient alternative versions of most of the tracks for $30 is absolutely insane. If you haven't heard them, the link below is for my favorite album. I'd suggest listening to "Faces in the Haze" and "Friends of Friends" to start:

21. Deathco_019

Drummer

This might be a stretch as this band is a bit more on the aggressive dude of post-rock with more shouting/screamed vocals, but Gifts From Enola is a great band. Their last album, A Healthy Fear, is fantastic.

22. White

1) Seconded.

2) Duuude I'm a huge fan of yours. Please tell me there's a 2nd AIT album on the way.

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Garrett L. and Deathco_019 like this.
  24. Me & My Arrow

John | Align in Time

Thanks, I really appreciate it! I'm actually almost done writing album #2. Not sure quite when I'll record yet because I write, demo, and review everything so slowly; gives me time to feel confident it's ready. I'm very, very excited about how it's all coming together.

25. Deathco_019

Drummer

I've only listened to 65daysofstatic's Wild Light but that album is fucking great. Anyone know what's up with them?