Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Post-Hardcore/Metalcore Thread Genre • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by poppunkpotato, May 17, 2016.

1. kersey Feb 19, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 21, 2017)
    kersey

Check out this metalcore song I did with the help of youtuber called Sam. Its pretty straight forward, melodic and catchy I would say! Includes both screaming and cleans!

teebs41 likes this.
  2. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

Gideon is definitely one of my generic hardcore guilty pleasures.

I put them on for the first time in a while and I'm kinda digging it.

3. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I love Milestone, but haven't really gotten into anything else by them

GettingSodas likes this.
  4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

haven't listened to those guys in ages.

GettingSodas likes this.
  5. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I've been in the scene for over half my life, but it's evolved so much I need help. Please share your opinions on this; what differentiates screamo and post-hardcore? First off, I don't consider screamo to be a genre anymore. It was heavy emo, practiced by Orchid, Saetia, City of Caterpillar, etc. IMO hardly any bands are making screamo. Post-hardcore and metalcore are the heavyweights as far as heavy music in our scene is concerned. Allmusic considers post-hardcore to be bands finding creative ways of blowing off steam as opposed to strict punk and metal foundations. I agree, but please respond b/c the answer is elusive. Is screamo even a relevant term, and are post-hardcore and music labelled "screamo" virtually the same genre?
    Lastly, I've noticed a trend of ppl not recognizing post-hardcore because they don't like a band. Purists can dislike PTV, Sleeping w/ Sirens and We Came as Romans all they want, but they still fit the rules of post-hardcore. Especially "Feel" from SWS.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  6. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

They were liking my Instagram posts, only way I found them! They are fire(pun intended).

7. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Screamo has become skramz

Listen to stars hallow great new screamo/skramz band. @cwhit can recommend way more than I can

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

term screamo was bastardized so people call "tr00" screamo skramz to differentiate

bad post-hardcore is post-hardcore but it's still bad

most of that stuff is so far separated scenewise that doesn't matter much

check the skramz thread there's good shit there

10. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

You consider all post hardcore bad? Lol

11. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

no but bad post-hardcore is bad

like i mean if you look at bands like slint and fugazi and early refused and modern bands like big ups rather than this sing/scream generation of warped tour bands, there's such a seismic difference in sound that it's hard to keep them related

12. RonandTammy

Regular

Everyone here needs to check out the YouTube Channel Dreambound.

Dreambound

There is some amazing stuff going on there, like this:

13. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Everyone should just listen to this band

14. RonandTammy

Regular

Any fans of Famous Last Words here? I feel like they don't get enough attention for some reason, though the vocalist is easily one of the best in this genre of poppy-post hardcore.

ConArdist likes this.
  15. Underoath perfected the sing scream approach of post hardcore and killed it at the same time. Everyone copied them, which led to derivative bands of derivative bands etc.

16. RonandTammy

Regular

Which variation of Underoath? Are you talking about when Spencer joined? But then do you mean when he only used high vocals or when he went to a lower register?

Also, I'd argue that Alexisonfire did this better and were around before Underoath were at their most popular.

17. Yep I mean during their 2002-2004 era. I didn't think of Alexisonfire but you're right. Idk if they were already popular over the states at the time though. I can't think of another band that did that sound earlier. Poison The Well maybe, but they were much heavier and didn't use clean vocals that much in the first place. Same case for Hopesfall.

ConArdist likes this.
  18. Funeral For A Friend ? They always used more clean vocals than screams

19. RonandTammy

Regular

Yea I forgot about this band. There were so many goddamn bands that followed this format, even Hawthorne Heights did this.

I agree though, Spencer's screaming was possibly the best in the genre during the They're Only Chasing Safety period.

20. His performance on that one and Define The Great Line is unbelievable. He changed his style unfortunately afterwards. The band catched up to him on Disambiguation so it didn't bother me anymore once Aaron left the band

21. RonandTammy

Regular

I agree that he got away from the traditional "screamo" sounding vocals, but I miss the higher pitched stuff. Aaron was always just really one note, every vocal of his sounded similar and he never got "better" with any aspect of his singing.

22. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Wow this is great! Beautiful video, very solid music, I think the lyrics on on the weaker side but no biggie. Live drummer or software?

23. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Haha just seeing that word has me giggling for twenty minutes! Has anyone named their kid "Skramz"?

24. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Ok will do, thanks! But is it safe to say (w/ very few exceptions) that true screamo is not explored much anymore? Though Pulled Apart by Horses and Pianos Become the Teeth (again IMO) are practitioners sticking closer to "skramz" lol

25. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Very true, however when modern bands can do post-hardcore right it's magic. Underoath, Alexisonfire, Norma Jean of course. But I think Sleeping w/ Sirens and Pierce the Veil have released some very solid, albeit poppy, variations on the genre. I'm 28, an old scene curmudgeon, but I'm open to new bands and really enjoy those two. "Feel" is one of my favorite post-hardcore albums. It's their fan bases that suck. "Vic is a sexi mexi, tee hee". Hearing stuff like that makes me double over.

Petit nain des Îles and js977 like this.