Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Celine Sciamma, 2020) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by TJ Wells, May 19, 2019.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

The trailer they are using for this is really bad.

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yeah, i heard that’s the case

3. Morrissey

Trusted

It was framed like a thriller. It really didn't capture the tone of the movie at all, but typical foreign arthouse trailers probably aren't great for wide releases.

phaynes12 likes this.
  4. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

This somehow lived up to every bit of the hype. Might fuck around and watch it again tomorrow.

morgantayler likes this.
  5. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Maybevictor likes this.
  7. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Decided to check out some of her early work to tide me over until I can see this again. I am undecided about Tomboy (really great emotions and beautiful relationships conveyed but maybe a little too slow / static) but i loved Water Lilies.

8. Morrissey

Trusted

I saw Water Lilies very early in my film exploration. I loved it at the time, but I don't remember much of it. Girlhood was great.

9. soggytime

Trusted

I feel bad for saying this, but this wasn't really my thing. Cinematography was stunning tho. Kind of a bummer because so many people whose opinion's I respect love it.

10. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

just booked tickets to see this on saturday. can't wait to ASCEND.

11. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

[​IMG]

morgantayler likes this.
  12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This finally opened here. Wow. Celine is a titan.

morgantayler likes this.
  13. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

How sad is this? Dying to see it but can’t handle anything too emotionally devastating at the moment.

14. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

I wanted to like this more than I did :- ( it was beautifully shot tho

imthesheriff and soggytime like this.
  15. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

A little sad, but I think it is so beautiful that it mostly made me feel warm inside.

Their love is obviously star crossed but the relationship is beautiful and really a joy to watch

aoftbsten likes this.
  16. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Adele Haenel walked out of the Cesars after Roman Polanski won best director. Fuck yeah.

mad and morgantayler like this.
  17. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Apparently Noémie and Céline did as well.

18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I thought it was pretty heartbreaking. But maybe in a cathartic way?

supernovagirl and Maybevictor like this.
  19. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

How did I only just hear about this movie until like 10 minutes ago? This looks absolutely right up my alley

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

did Sophie have an immaculate conception lol, also I wonder if those old wives tales were real
    I was wondering how the paintings were so beautiful but she had a professional painter do them
    it was cool how, probably ahistorically, class wasn't as big a deal as I think it would be, like they were friends with Sophie
    I couldn't get over the fact that Heloise was basically Belle, she was trapped in a big ass house and by the patriarchy and she loved reading and singing
    I also understand that Marianne has to be a bit of a cypher because her role is the observer
    also the flex of Celine and Adele breaking up before filming is next level

21. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

So to clarify a bit it’s significant that they are friendly with Sophie BECAUSE the mother (agent of patriarchy) and men are absent. The reason female separatism is such a huge tenet of radical feminism is because of the belief that a society for and by women would not necessarily have such divisions because that power structure is created by men to benefit men.

Gah this movie was so beautiful and had me just going “...women!” A la Jo March the whole time.

22. mad

I was right. Prestigious

the cinema gods have delivered and I’m finally seeing this tomorrow

23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This was absolutely sublime. Is there a link somewhere that summarizes the meaning of the Eurydice story? And how the idea of her asking him to turn around changes things?

24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Girlhood, Water Lillies, and Tomboy are all on the Criterion Channel just so you all know

EASheartsVinyl and morgantayler like this.
  25. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Also, can someone explain the different things they were doing with Sophie, in regards to her pregnancy? That older woman, what did she do to her/what for?