Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Portland, Oregon Location • Page 12

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Expanse, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

does Kelly’s Olympian suck?

2. EddieDS

Regular Supporter

i've got an extra ticket for japanese breakfast at crystal ballroom tonight if anyone wants it

3. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I’ll be visiting Portland soon and was wondering if anyone had recs for vegan restaurants?

4. chris

Trusted Supporter

Homegrown Smoker (assuming they find a buyer and remain open by your trip, fingers crossed), Black Water Bar, Dirty Lettuce, Virtuous Pie, Off the Griddle, Harlow.

there’s a lot more and most places have solid vegan options!

Orla likes this.
  5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

RIP The Roxy :verysad::rainbow:

6. drummerAVA

Trusted

Was just in Portland a couple weeks ago… man had the BEST food in the day I was there. Really good sandwich for lunch at The Star on Hoyt St., then hit Departure for dinner above The Nines hotel on Morrison…

Both great spots I’d recommend if you’re in town.

7. So potentially dumb question, but my resources are limited so I’m using what I’ve got. After years of my best friend prodding me to move to Portland, I told him yesterday that it’s probably actually gonna happen soon. He was basically like, “dude yes, but also not a great time.” Something about a ton of cops quitting their jobs recently and the lack of law enforcement presence leading to a ton of crime? Like a ton of home break ins/robberies and like peeping toms and stuff. I love him and want to trust his perspective as he’s such a die hard Portland-head, but I wanna ask any residents in here if they think that’s a legit concern or if he’s been NextDoor-pilled, haha. Because we all know the world becomes a much uglier place through the scope of that app

For reference, he’s in the Beaumont-Wiltshire area of the NE

8. chris

Trusted Supporter

More cops ≠ less crime, so I'd disagree with that premise. Homicides increased in 2021 (it did everywhere fwiw), otherwise crime has essentially stayed the same or decreased.

Not saying your friend does this, but if you spend too much time on the PDX subreddit (a cesspool) or Nextdoor (also a cesspool), or are the type of person who associates a larger houseless population with crime and danger, then you're going to have a much different view of this city.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  9. chris

Trusted Supporter

That said I have read about an increase in gang-related violence within the last year or so, but I don’t have much info on it. I’d maintain it’s still pretty safe overall

10. Thank you for the insight!!

Yeah I didn’t totally agree with the cop thing — I just wasn’t about to open that conversation with him at the time since it felt beside the point hahah. And thankfully he’s not at all the type to fear the houseless population or anything. BUT this post does confirm a bit for me that he’s probably just fallen into the paranoia of NextDoor. The city I currently live in has made a home amongst many “safest cities in america” lists, but if you go on NextDoor you’d think disaster loomed around every corner lol

I’d be going up there either way anyway tbh — stuff like that just kinda determines which part of town I land in

chris likes this.
  11. chris

Trusted Supporter

I think the last couple years have invited a lot of cynicism, but it is a beautiful city in an even more beautiful region, would recommend

12. Kiana

Like yeah there's crime and stuff but idk I think a lot of it is pearl clutching from conservative ppl complaining about how the city has gone downhill because of liberal policies. Even tho those ppl have always complained about Portland lol. And then that narrative sort of travels and trickles down. There was a phase (idk ppl might still be saying it) where ppl were acting like downtown was akin to a war zone due to protesters but it looked about how it's always looked to me :shrug2:

trevorshmevor and Jason Tate like this.
  13. Kiana

I'm meeting my bf downtown for dinner and idk where to choose. I feel like I always see places I wanna try until it's time and then I get overwhelmed!! I'm browsing and people recommend such fancy looking things. I am a simple woman!

14. What kinda food you looking for?

15. Kiana

I'm pretty open! I feel like we've been eating typical American/burger stuff a lot so maybe not that. And not that it's usually an issue here but as long as it's vegetarian friendly!

16. Nice-ish, and if you like pasta: Justa Pasta is a fun little place: https://www.justapasta.com

More broad, but cute and feels very date night Cafe Nell: https://cafenell.com

EddieDS and Kiana like this.
  17. EddieDS

Regular Supporter

the weather is pretty cool today so i would get some ramen at boxer! plenty of vegetarian options. their greens and sesame salad is so good.

Kiana likes this.
  19. Kiana

Not a fan of this snow. They shut down my office early but I was out in the field helping clients still so I didn't leave early like everyone else and my usual 20 min drive home took almost an hour. Hope we stay closed tomorrow.

Snow is the best and most beautiful when I don't have to go in it

trevorshmevor and Jason Tate like this.
  20. My girlfriend ran into a similar situation, got roped into meeting with a last minute client that wound up falling through and it took her an hour to get through a 10 minute drive. Thanking my lucky stars we made soup last night and have plenty of leftovers, coming in clutch atm

21. drummerAVA

Trusted

Flying out tomorrow to shred the pow up at Hood… heard it’s the best snow in like 5 years out there right now.

Now just fingers crossed my flight makes it out in time!

22. Kiana

Okay I can't find a good london fog in this town and surrounding areas to save my life. I can't even describe what makes one good. I just know when I taste it. And none of the places I've tried here have an even passable one. Granted I haven't nearly been to that many places, but so far randomly the downtown courthouse coffee shop has the most passable one and it's dirt cheap. The GOAT London fog is from a coffee shop in my hometown and is the barometer I'm comparing all others. The Hunt continues.

23. Kiana

For my job I have to do home visits to see clients and many of their housing doesn't have AC even tho I've sent them all free resources and anyway I'm getting annihilated in the heat omfg

24. [​IMG]

25. Soooo I'm moving from SoCal to Vancouver, WA in a couple weeks. Thread doesn't look too active as of late, but hello everyone.

drummerAVA likes this.