Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Portland, Oregon Location

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Expanse, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Expanse

Just spent a few days there this week. Goddamn, what a city.

I could spend an entire day at Apex (and of course Powell's). Laurelhurst Market has an unreal steak.

Anyway, use this thread for events, recommendations, news, advice etc.

2. chris

Trusted Supporter

reppin!

3. Nice.

I'll use this thread to plug this blog post I made about all my favorite things to do in Portland.

Things to Do in Portland, OR • chorus.fm

So, if you're ever in the city - definitely hit some of these places up.

4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Anyone familiar with the Kickstand Comedy Space? Performing there in June.

5. chris

Trusted Supporter

I thought it shut down but I guess it just relocated out from the basement of a bike shop. Other than that, don't know much about it.

6. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Haha yeah, it's such a tiny space. Should be a lot of fun!

7. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Portlaaaand. I've always wanted to visit, probably will this summer. My sister has been and says I'd love it. It's most definitely number one on my "Where I Want to Be in Five Years" list.

8. NotBruce

Regular

I moved back to the California valley 3 years ago. I miss Portland every single day. Gonna live vicariously through this thread.

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. Tyler Apr 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 4, 2016)
    Tyler

Regular Supporter

Anyone ever been to Rimskey's? Great place to get some after show coffee and dessert.

10. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Visiting in a month, so excited. Got most of my trip planned out (including Voodoo Doughnut - sorry Jason).

11. Emotherapy

Regular

My friends and I always go to The Roxy, this 24 hour diner right by Powell's. The best place to get french toast at 3am.

Kiana and Jason Tate like this.
  12. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

The Roxy is my jam and a half. In a town full of places that are too fancy for me (seriously, can a sis just get normal greasy diner food instead of all these classy brunch places??) The Roxy is my heaven. Also Maya's Taqueria has bomb strawberry horchata

Emotherapy likes this.
  13. mattritter Apr 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 5, 2016)
    mattritter

I moved to Portland six months ago (NW, around 20th & Marshall), and it is hands down the best decision I have ever made.

14. mattritter

Great list. For food/drink, I'd tack on: Sizzle Pie (pizza), Brass Tacks (amazing sandwiches), Local Roasting Co. (my coffee shop), White Owl Social Club (great cocktails/huge outdoor patio), Teote Areperia (amazing Latin American), and Canteen (vegan bowls).

15. No lie I'm gonna make it a point to try this place out this weekend. Not walking distance for me but it looks amazing.

16. chris

Trusted Supporter

I miss living within walking distance

edit: @Jason Tate this highlight to quote/reply feature is brilliant btw

Jason Tate and NotBruce like this.
  17. Ibesmokin

Thinking about making Portland our destination once Warped comes around. Ever since they nixed the Gorge, Seattle's dates just haven't been the same.

I love your downtown btw, what is the public transit system like there? Also debating splitting a hotel for a couple nights too to separate the driving seshes

18. Expanse

Fiancé and I fell in love with Portland hard and are thinking about making the move (sorry natives). Any particular hoods I should be looking at for ~$1500 a month?

19. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Heading over for my second time in May, excited! Loved it here last time around

20. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I love the transit. There's an option of the bus, max, or streetcar and paying on the app is easy and convenient. I didn't bring my car when I lived downtown and I rarely had a problem getting around. Sometimes it was hard late at night. Like I didn't go to a lot of shows cause only the bus ran late enough (I didn't know what uber was at the time lol) and the nearest stop was still blocks away from my apt and I didn't wanna walk it alone at night so yeah... Otherwise it was great!

Jason Tate and Ibesmokin like this.
  21. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I'm in Oregon City where I grew up right now. Headed into the city today briefly. Spent most of my time here and truly love it. Second best place I've lived through.

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. I sent a list to someone a few months back of places around that budget I think, not sure if that was you or not with the name changes and all. But in that range I think you'll be fine almost anywhere to find something pretty damn good. You guys looking for something in the city itself or outside of it?

Expanse likes this.
  23. Jake Denning

@Jake_Denning Prestigious

Public transit is incredible. I believe it's still $4.75 for a day pass.

Ibesmokin likes this.
  24. Jake Denning

@Jake_Denning Prestigious

I literally just moved a friend into a complex called Harbour Court Apartments this morning - absolutely amazing. It's around $1200-1500/mo. Deposits around $300.

LiveAtArbourCourt.com

Expanse likes this.
  25. stories Apr 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2016)
    stories

lucid dreaming. Supporter

this is my favourite city and love living here.

a few places for my favourites (not listed already in other posts): east side deli, harlow (on hawthorne; vegetarian), electric castle's wunderland/avalon theatre (on belmont; if you want to see $3 films and plays arcade games for nickels), catherdral coffee, cathedral park, forest park (should be obvious), stepping stone café (in NW), south park blocks (my favourite place in the city/my avatar), everyday music (up the road from powell's), citizen photo, blue moon camera... there are definitely more too.

also with jason's post, there is another section of portland not always noted which is north portland. it's off in it's own little corner of the city. small neighbourhood of st. johns is there and the university of portland (where i went). i lived in that area for four years while at school and after leaving for a bit i'm now back in SE.

it's $5 for a day pass now.

Jason Tate likes this.