Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Portland Bookstore Defends “Fuck Portlandia” Sign • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 30, 2016.

1. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Show is embarassingly unfunny.

Raku and CarpetElf like this.
  2. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Show is a great commentary on stereotype-chasing hipster culture and pretentiousness in general. Really sucks to hear that the way they conduct themselves undermines the entire message of the show.

Feel like people who don't think it's funny, think that Fred and Carrie are just acting like buffoons and don't get what they're parodying. I think they're pretty spot on at making fun of people who take subjective things way too seriously. A lot of great satire of "that guy" or "that girl" that takes an inspiring cause or genuine art and makes it into a fashion statement or marketing trend and condescends people who don't follow it.

3. Randall Mentzos Sep 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 30, 2016)
    Randall Mentzos

small town version of Portland: Asheville, North Carolina

much cheaper and also closer to you for the record. 24 breweries in one square mile and a better local art scene than a lot of big cities (music, all kinds of visual art, glassblowing, culinary arts, etc.) Mountains and camping and snowboarding and gorgeous rivers and national parks all nearby like Portland as well.

4. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I'm relieved that I'm not the only person who doesn't find this show funny.

Raku and Jason Tate like this.
  5. Randall Mentzos

idk to me it's kinda like Talladega Nights. A lot of people hate that movie because at face value, they don't like the idea of a movie making fun of rednecks, just like how Portlandia makes fun of overly self-indulgent art communities. But idk, if you take it with a grain of salt and recognize that it doesn't apply to everyone and they're not trying to diss people who genuinely believe in certain things... you can find yourself noticing you've had actual annoying people argue the same pretentious things to you that appear on the show in real life, just less exaggrated.

WetwithSharp and ianzandi like this.
  6. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

That was my first impression. I didn't do an in depth study or anything.

tdlyon likes this.
  7. WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

*rolls eyes*

People have cross-dressed in comedy for ages, it has nothing to do with "making fun of trans people" lol.

Tata Toothy and CMilliken like this.
  8. ...and trans people have been punchlines in comedy for ages. They have a reason to be suspicious. Don't be so antagonistic.

9. Don't go there.

10. They're the ones that turned it into a marketing trend though.

Raku likes this.
  11. Randall Mentzos

i didn't think they were making fun of cross dressers but I'm not in the demographic of people to really say who it should offend. I always only interpreted that skit as, when bitter misandrists are condescending toward regular women under the guise of feminism

12. It's a different group running the bookstore now. They say this in the post.

Raku likes this.
  13. Nope.

armistice and Raku like this.
  14. Randall Mentzos

I'm not sure about that. People knew about Portland's art community and were flocking to it and driving up housing prices far before that. I'm not trying to tell you about your city or anything but I have been paying attention to it because I've wanted to move to the Pacific Northwest since i was 18. Yuppies would have gentrified the city and priced out artists and marginalized groups of people regardless whether that show got filmed or Veritas Guitars released a flagship guitar called the Portlander or, shit, people noticed absolutepunk.net's former HQ and now chorus.fm's current HQ is out of Portland. The city is being romanticized and having attention drawn to it all over the place, just like what happened to Seattle 15-20 years ago.

It's happening to Baltimore now and that's why I moved away and couldn't afford to live there anymore, regardless of all the opportunities my band was getting.

That's the sad reality. The more an artistic area burgeons with opportunity, the more it attracts the very groups of wealthy migrants/real estate developers/corporate investors that sap the city of its localized charm and accessibility.

15. WetwithSharp Sep 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 30, 2016)
    WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

lol....okay.....? It's definitely the case for some. I've been around people that have commented on it making fun of "serious stuff", like their vegan/organic sketches and what not.

I dont agree at all with that sentiment, I'm just saying, I think for a certain demographic...it hits a little too close to home. Maybe I'm wrong, just saying what I've seen and heard of peoples reactions to certain bits on the show.

16. WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

....? He went there by implying someone in a comedy sketch dressed a woman is auto-making fun of trans people, I was merely replying to that. But agree to disagree, sure.

Tata Toothy likes this.
  17. No. I don't agree to disagree.

armistice and Raku like this.
  18. WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

19. Jason Tate Sep 30, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 1, 2016)
    The correlation between the show and the past few years is pretty undeniable. The influx from California, mostly very rich tech people, is causing a lot of issues, and the marketing aspect of it -- and especially this show -- has contributed to it. I've seen it in all four quadrants of the city now. I realize I'm really close to it, but I've seen it quite a bit.

Kiana likes this.
  20. Jack Wilmott

Self-described freestyle wizard poet.

Yeah I met some guys from Asheville when they were studying over here for a year. They had nothing but great things to say about it.

It's kind of funny how a lot of people in the USA are really proud of where they're from while everyone in 'Ol Blighty everyone thinks where they are from is a shit hole.

Ive only been to Boston, New York and DC.

Seattle, Portland and San Fran are next on the list as well as Vancouver.

I've also heard great things about Denver

21. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

it's not a show for everyone all of the time but c'mon people lighten up. it's always all or nothing these days.
    I don't LOL constantly during the show but I like the weirdness and creativity and silliness.

no comment on this specific situation though, seems the staff was disrespectful. inappropes.

22. Bryan Diem

Trusted

First two seasons had some great moments, three was tough to watch, and then the show went total nosedive-cringe-core for whatever the more recent stuff is.

23. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

Jason, could you at least explain your thoughts on this? Your comment seems weird and you don't explain why you are shutting this down. You feel as if a man dressing as a woman in a sketch comedy show equates to making fun of trans people?

Tata Toothy likes this.
  24. AshlandATeam

Trusted

They may not have been involved at first, but they've had some amount of time to let the show film. Unless this was one of their first actions, the point stands. Also, the literal first point they make is 'we don't make money.' That's the first thing they say. If that wasn't an issue, it certainly could have been left out.

Anyway I agree with everything else you're saying - the show sucks, the joke is in poor taste, and it shouldn't happen.

25. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

:sly:

I've avoided this show for years because a) the bits I have seen have been painfully unfunny to me and b) I have seen plenty of trans women take issue with the show's content. These aren't baseless claims and y'all cis dudes don't get to dictate what constitutes transphobia, like you just don't. Like the show if you want, but don't try and act like you get to draw that line because I can assure you that you don't have any idea where it even begins.

Don't quote me.