Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pop-Up Mobile Ads Surge as Sites Scramble to Stop Them

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Lily Hay Newman, writing at Wired:

These redirects can show up seemingly out of the blue when you’re in a mobile browser like Chrome, or even when you’re using a service like Facebook or Twitter and navigating to a page through one of their in-app browsers. Suddenly you go from loading a news article to wriggling away from an intrusive ad. What enables these ad redirects to haunt virtually any browser or app at any time, rather than just the sketchy backwaters in which they used to roam? Third-party ad servers that either don’t vet ad submissions properly for the JavaScript components that could cause redirects, or get duped by innocent-looking ads that hide their sketchy code.

Not a day goes by that I don’t get pitched some variation of these kinds of ads for this website. They promise thousands of dollars a month in revenue, and it seems like a lot of big websites are saying yes to these third party ad networks. I think it’s killing the internet.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Only vaguely related, but for a long time ABP worked well for me at hiding ads, but having very recently gotten a new laptop (windows 10), I'm finding AdChoices adds filling up a lot of website banners. I haven't found the answers very clear on the internet, with some saying how it's a normal, legal ad service, with other sources talking about how malware and viruses can be elevating it. Anyone here who knows more about the state of adblocking extensions, adchoices, or what I should be considering normal vs. malware enabled conditions (that I need to find and remove), clarification would be helpful.

3. shea

RIP Supporter

This shit is the literal worst. Every local news article I click on FB has one of these lately and it’s obnoxious.

4. robargarthan

I was just looking up solutions to this problem the other day. I'll be on a reputable website like Rolling Stone and suddenly get taken away to some shitty ad telling me my iPhone has been infected with a virus.

5. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Use Safari on iOS?

6. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

I've gotten these redirects in Safari on iOS (when reading The Hollywood Reporter, for example).

Honestly, the whole practice is bewildering. Who, when faced with this:

Reacts by going "oh fuck yes, now this product/service is definitely in my good graces, and I am inclined to patronize it accordingly!"?

Fucking Dustin, Raku, shea and 3 others like this.
  7. Raku

Regular

And these ad companies wonder why people have adblock installed?

Anyway, I guess the best solution could be to find another browser that what comes with Android or Apple phones. There are alternatives out there that might (hopefully) block these scummy practices.

8. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I feel like it’s so unbelievably easy to advertise without popups

Raku likes this.
  9. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

These have gotten so out of hand. I've almost wondered at times recently if the problem was my phone.

Unsurprisingly, comic book and superhero film websites have been particularly trashy with this.

10. IATAvalanche

Regular

i generally just stop visiting those sites with those ads.

11. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

The ones that annoy the crap out of me are the ones that load their apps in the app store. Nothing more tilting then getting kicked out of your browser and sent to the app store to install some stupid game you don't want.

Jason Tate and Fucking Dustin like this.
  12. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

unfortunately, VC - which is funding a lot of website development these days - love ad revenue because more data = more "potential" for returns on investment... it's all very appealing for the speculative type with all the money. The Internet's Original Sin is a great, if a few years old, article on it.