Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pop-Punk Thread (Official Thread) Genre • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Jake Z

Regular

Great question. Thought I was the only one who knew that band. Such catchy, classic sounding pop punk.

2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Oh man they were great, very catchy but just unpolished enough too

Jake Z likes this.
  3. The Lucky Moose

4. The Lucky Moose likes this.
  5. The Lucky Moose

Yeah but it's only parts of it so it's not as crazy haha

6. gbuffers

England.

What happened to Lucky 7? Not the best band by all accounts but California Girl was catchy. I can't seem to *ahem* find the rest of their album anywhere. I take it they're no longer going?

7. Jake Z

Regular

No longer active but there is a fantastic channel on You Tube by the user Travis M. that has both of their albums IIRC. he has a TON of really cool, obscure, out of print, international, and underrated punk, old emo, and hardcore stuff. highly recommend.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Travis m. is such a good channel

Jake Z likes this.
  9. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

I think about The Morning Light a lot

10. gbuffers

England.

I completely forgot about this EP - I used to have it on iTunes now it's disappeared and I can't find it anywhere. Gutted!

11. Some stuff I've revisited lately:
    - I Call Fives / Rust Belt Lights split is pretty flawless. Wish Rust Belt Lights followed those songs up sooner than they did and I wish IC5 did anything after that LP which was ehhh
    - Not a band in the genre that's come close to doing what Man Overboard was doing from their EPs through Real Talk. One of the few hardcore influenced pop punk bands from the 2010s that didn't shy away from writing the catchiest hooks possible. Sucks their career essentially derailed with Heart Attack.
    - Daytrader always the most slept on band, pretty remarkable discography in retrospect.
    - Both Forever Came Calling LPs are fantastic—feel like they did the TSSF sound better than they did on Contender and the more recent one is a nice transtition to more of a straightforward pop sound.
    - Transit is a bad band that made one fluke of a good record, had the world handed to them, and threw it all away at every chance they were given.
    - The Greatest Generation is far and away the peak of this genre and I'd argue that album marks the end of the pop punk revival. Hasn't been the same since.

Mister Lyrical likes this.
  12. StevenW92

Regular

Daytrader were a fantastic band. It's a shame they only released the one album. I still regularly listen to those last two tracks. Such a great way to release an album.

Transit were the band that got me in to pop punk. I thought both Listen & Forgive and Keep This To Yourself were great. Stay Home was the song that got me hooked.

The Greatest Generation is great. I think Suburbia edges it out slightly. Have to agree I've not really been interested in much since then though.

I grew to hate Man Overboard. I really liked them at first but they just kept turning out the same cheesy songs.

13. The Lucky Moose

I like the latest Transit album

oldboot and Noradrenaline like this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

Also I think the "peak" Pop Punk album is probably still Dookie

15. cherrywaves

Trusted

Transit sucked once Joe Lacy left but none of their stuff holds up for me

16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Greatest Generation is probably my favorite TWY album. I'll always love The Upsides though.

17. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I was all aboard the Forever Came Calling train until I found out that they're, like, uncomfortably down with JJR still to this day. Haven't really been able to listen to their music and enjoy it ever since then.

18. Really? Shit. Didn't know that.

19. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah the most recent thing I saw was that he, like, tweeted out a list of his like "Most Cherished Bands" or something and they were on it and their Twitter account liked it or retweeted it or something. Went to go look for it but now his Twitter account appears to be only viewable to confirmed followers so.

20. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Steve Klein also had a hand in at least one song from their last album.

21. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

How has no one mentioned Trash Boat yet? They had a killer debut album in 2016.

Also, New Found Glory released a pretty catchy album (like always) back in April.

Jake Z likes this.
  22. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

Ugh...I didn't know that either. Glad I know now though...

23. johnnyutes

Vaya con Dios Supporter

I thought Light Years' last album was the best pop punk album I've heard in awhile

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  24. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Knuckle Puck is teasing something for tomorrow. I'm guessing new album announcement/single.

sonder and OotyPa like this.
  25. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

That album rules.